Sorting Categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting Categories

Just wondering if you have noticed the same problem with sorting.

There are three additional characters in the Danish alphabet, like æ, å and ø - they are the last three characters in the alphabet.

When entering names in ACDSee's categories, and if any of the above characters are used, they do not sort correctly.

I have the following in the category, and they are displayed as:

Ærø
    Ålborg
    Århus
    Aros
    Ødum
    Skive

However, correct sorting order should be:

Aros
    Skive
    Ærø
    Ålborg
    Århus
    Ødum

Any ideas how to gete ACDSee to sort correctly ?

Thank you
    Attached Files

I see similar "features" when adding new categories, but after a restart at least the sorting of categories seem correct to me.

However I still see weird sortings:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ACv14 Sortierung mit kreisen nach neustart.PNG Views:	2 Size:	237.7 KB ID:	55000
    Do I miss an option to invert the sorting of AC-keywords?

[Edit]
    After taking a closer look, the AC-keywords seem sorted correctly too, with the exception of the word "Aalborg".
    Any ideas why? Here's the hex codes:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	aalborg.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.3 KB ID:	55003
    No fancy unicode.

BTW. After adding all AC-keywords, IPTC-keywords, categories and collections unordered by hand I saw four different sortings, but when I tried to make a screen copy with AC it crashed.

Last edited by Emil; 01-13-2021, 05:27 AM.

Comment

bwest

The ordering of the display of Categories appears to be the normal ANSI order, (Left to right on the ASCII values of the characters)

What I've found is that when you are entering new values, the initial order is a bit bizarre, but when you subsequently shut down U2021 and restart it, the order here becomes as expected.

That said, it's not quite the order you are looking for. The "restarted" order is:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Categories after restart.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	55005
      but I believe it is as it should be for ANSI ordering.

The ASCII character values are as follows
      Å = 143
      Æ = 146
      Ø = 157

So Ærø should come after Ålborg and Århus, but before Ødum, and it is doing that here.

Comment

I see why the sort order becomes what Greyfox states. However, as a Dane, I have to say that when I learned the alphabet too many years ago, the proper order was æ, ø and å (and I believe that is still the case). Therefore, not the order of the ASCII table and not the order listed in the first post.

Niels

Comment

Thanks for your replies,

Could it possible be a bug in ACDSee ?

I tried the restart but still does not sort correct, ref screenshot.

Thanks,

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by njlarsen View Post
            I see why the sort order becomes what Greyfox states. However, as a Dane, I have to say that when I learned the alphabet too many years ago, the proper order was æ, ø and å (and I believe that is still the case). Therefore, not the order of the ASCII table and not the order listed in the first post.

Niels
            Hi Niels

I too had the alphabet (English in my case) drilled into me by rote many years ago.

Computers are not taught the alphabet, English, Danish or otherwise. They use code pages (character tables) which assign numeric values to each character. These tables include many characters or symbols that are not in the alphabet, and it is the numeric value that is used in determining ordering.

For example Code page 865 applies to Danish & Norwegian, and Code page 437 applies to English.

Whilst in the Danish alphabet (since 1948?) the order is Æ, then Ø then Å, in both code page 865 and code page 437, the assigned numeric values puts these characters in the order Å, then Æ, then Ø.

This is outside the control of individual applications like ACDSee.

Comment

It seems you are are right with official use of Å since 1948, but unofficial usage up to at least 100 years earlier according to the Danish language Wikipedia.

I am not surprised that the developers of the ASCII etc code pages got it wrong

Niels

Comment

Working...
              X