Modified File date off by an hour when using Batch adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modified File date off by an hour when using Batch adjust

I was trying to adjust "Last Modified File Date" using the batch adjust date process.
    When I go through this process and use EXIF DATE ORIGINAL it shifts the modified date an hour off from the value for EXIF DATE Original.

For example:
    EXIF DATE ORIGINAL is 6pm

The modified file date becomes 5pm.

I am assuming this is a Daylight Savings time issue? Any work arounds?

Originally posted by airtas View Post
    I was trying to adjust "Last Modified File Date" using the batch adjust date process.
    When I go through this process and use EXIF DATE ORIGINAL it shifts the modified date an hour off from the value for EXIF DATE Original.

For example:
    EXIF DATE ORIGINAL is 6pm

The modified file date becomes 5pm.

I am assuming this is a Daylight Savings time issue? Any work arounds?
    The short answer is yes it has to do with daylight saving, but also do with the standards that apply to the way various timestamps are stored.
    In NTFS file systems the date/time stamps are stored in UTC format, then displayed in locale time using the applicable time zone offset and the daylight saving settings.
    The Exif Date/time Original is stored as a local time.

The time difference you are seeing in this case (I'm guessing between what is shown in ACDSee and what is shown in the Windows File Explorer General Tab) occurs when the photo was taken during a period when daylight saving was in effect, and now its not. In the case of JPG's at least, the discrepancy DOESN'T occur if the photo was taken at a time when daylight saving WASN'T in effect.

As a work around, you could change your Windows Date and Time settings (Turn off "Adjust for daylight saving time automatically"), but that has other disadvantages.

This is just one of a number of issues that can occur when you play with timestamps.

Comment

Working...
    X