collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collections

I have created a collection. All is fine BUT I want to change the order that the files appear on the screen. I sometimes can drag the thumbnail to the desired location. Sometimes I cannot drag them. How can I always drag them?

Originally posted by Alex Burr View Post
    I have created a collection. All is fine BUT I want to change the order that the files appear on the screen. I sometimes can drag the thumbnail to the desired location. Sometimes I cannot drag them. How can I always drag them?
    Say you have at some stage assigned a particular collection "My Dog Fido" to 5 different images that are spread across a range of different folders. Three of those images have been assigned a label: "green", and two the label: "Red".

In Manage Mode in the left hand "Collections pane", select "My Dog Fido". (If you don't have a Collections Tab in the left hand pane, open the Panes menu and select Collection). The thumbnails for all of the images in that the "My Dog Fido" collection should now appear in the center "File List pane". You should now be able to modify the "sort" order by dragging the individual thumbnails. In doing so, if you check the "sort" tab, you should see that "Custom Sort" is now selected.

That however assumes that the Filter tab option is set to "All", and the Group option is set to None.

If you now set the Filter Tab option to say Label: "Green" then only the three images with green labels will be shown, and they will probably not be in the order that they were after your custom sort. You can not now change the sort order by dragging the thumbnails and the sort order option "Custom Sort" will be greyed out. That will also apply if you select the Filter tab option to Collections: "My Dog Fido". The filter tab setting has priority over, and disables the Custom Sort.

In a similar fashion, the Group Tab options can also disable the Custom Sort option.

Hope that helps.

Comment

With a brand new database and a fresh users registry AC allows user defined sorting for a single folder, category and collection. AC can not store the sorting for all combinations of two or more of them. So, if you need to sort a combination of the three types I'd suggest to create a new category, assign all needed items to it and sort with drag'drop operations.

Well this was the theory. In practice even with a fresh database all the above doesn't work for all categories on my side. For some it works, for others it doesn't. To be honest, I haven't got the faintest idea why. All I can do is reset the users registry. Then it might work again for a while ...

I personally only use it for exported images stored in a single folder. For this it always worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
        ...I personally only use it for exported images stored in a single folder. For this it always worked.
        And custom sorting of tiles stored in a single (selected) folder is the only one actually listed in the help file under Custom Sorting Files.

"Custom Sorting Files

You can use custom sorting to customize the order of files in the File List pane. After custom sorting your files, ACDSee automatically saves the file order for the selected folder until you change it or delete the custom sort order..

Comment

My good old Pro v8 supports custom sorting for folders and categories w/o any hassle.

What's your point, don't deliver any documentation for no being blamed for broken features?

Comment

I am not sorting files. I have sucessfully assigned various files from different flolders to a single collection. All is working fine. When I click on that collection all the files in that collection appear on my screen. Sometimes I can move those thumbnails around into a different order on the screen. Good. At other times I cannot move the thumbnails on the screen. Bad. How do I keep things good.?

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
              ..What's your point.......?
              I wasn't intending to make any point really, just an observation that the way you said it has always worked for you when used with a single folder happens to be in line with the products documentation, so one should expect that to work, but I haven't been able to find any reference in the help file as to how custom sorting (or custom ordering of the thumbnails in the File list pane) should work with collections, so the way I described it working for me appears to be undocumented, and perhaps not even supported.
              Last edited by Greyfox; 07-05-2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Burr View Post
                I am not sorting files
                When you drag a thumbnail in the File list pane to move its position within a group of thumbnails, and thus change the display order of the thumbnails, it activates ACDSee's "Custom Sort" function (see item in Sort tab). In this instance "sort" and "ordering" have the same meaning.

...Sometimes I can move those thumbnails around into a different order on the screen. Good. At other times I cannot move the thumbnails on the screen. Bad. How do I keep things good.?
                I don't have any insight into all of the conditions that lead up to either result on your particular installation. I mentioned a couple of things in my earlier post that can bring about the difference, but there are others.

All I can suggest is you write down all the steps leading up to when you can reposition the thumbnails, and the all the steps leading up to when you can't, to help you identify what brings about the difference. For instance are the collections ordinary or smart collections, are they a parent of collection set, or a child within a set.

For example I can drag/change the order of thumbnails in an ordinary collection, but not a those in a smart collection. I can drag/change the order of thumbnails in a child of a collection set, but not when the parent of the set is selected. For these specific examples I wouldn't term the difference as "good" or "bad" but rather that is just how the program works for the different conditions.

Edit: There is perhaps something else worth noting.
                Collections like ACDSee keywords, labels etc can be (and in my view should be) embedded in your images, so that the database information can be rebuilt if required from the metadata embedded in the images. In my experience, whilst the embedded Collections metadata does reconstruct the Collections, it does NOT include any ordering changes made using the manual drag of the thumbnails. That ordering information is not included in the embedded metadata. For that reason if you want the ordering to be permanent within a collection, I would suggest using a filename prefix to control the ordering.
                Last edited by Greyfox; 07-05-2021, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

Say you have at some stage assigned a particular collection "My Dog Fido" to 5 different images that are spread across a range of different folders. Three of those images have been assigned a label: "green", and two the label: "Red".

In Manage Mode in the left hand "Collections pane", select "My Dog Fido". (If you don't have a Collections Tab in the left hand pane, open the Panes menu and select Collection). The thumbnails for all of the images in that the "My Dog Fido" collection should now appear in the center "File List pane". You should now be able to modify the "sort" order by dragging the individual thumbnails. In doing so, if you check the "sort" tab, you should see that "Custom Sort" is now selected.

That however assumes that the Filter tab option is set to "All", and the Group option is set to None.

If you now set the Filter Tab option to say Label: "Green" then only the three images with green labels will be shown, and they will probably not be in the order that they were after your custom sort. You can not now change the sort order by dragging the thumbnails and the sort order option "Custom Sort" will be greyed out. That will also apply if you select the Filter tab option to Collections: "My Dog Fido". The filter tab setting has priority over, and disables the Custom Sort.

In a similar fashion, the Group Tab options can also disable the Custom Sort option.

Hope that helps.
                  BINGO Exact;y worked. I had "groups" inadvertently "city" activated rather than "None" Thanks
                  Last edited by Alex Burr; 07-07-2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X