Lens correction query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens correction query

I use a Leica CL, which appears in the drop down box under the lens correction heading (inside Develop mode - Geometry). However, the lens drop-down choices do not include any lenses in the Leica TL lens series, as used by the CL and TL series cameras. Is there a method to introduce new lenses into this area. At the moment, the lens type defaults to a 35mm Auto Chinon, which I would imagine to be light years away from my 18-56mm Vario Elmar.

Originally posted by mspil View Post
    I use a Leica CL, which appears in the drop down box under the lens correction heading (inside Develop mode - Geometry). However, the lens drop-down choices do not include any lenses in the Leica TL lens series, as used by the CL and TL series cameras. Is there a method to introduce new lenses into this area. At the moment, the lens type defaults to a 35mm Auto Chinon, which I would imagine to be light years away from my 18-56mm Vario Elmar.
    That is because the correction data for your 18-56mm Vario Elmar lens is not in the current 3rd party Lensfun database used by ACDSee.

If you search this forum, and also Google "Lensfun" you will find lots of information about the Lensfun database. Basically lens correction data gets added when someone that is using a particular lens submits images for calibration, and then from time to time updates are made to the Lensfun database, though there seems to be some concern about how active the Lensfun project is now.

See https://wilson.bronger.org/calibration
    also https://pixls.us/articles/create-len...a-for-lensfun/

Normally then you would have to wait for ACDSee to update their software to use the newer database, but I believe there is a method of manually including the correction data into the existing .xml files once the correction data has been established.

Comment

What I did as an option for my 12-45mm zoom lens, which isn't included in the database was to photograph a grid chart at each focal length to use as a guide to apply to apply manual corrections and then save that as a preset. Not ideal but better than none. I just wish ACDSee would read the correction data that is embedded in the RAW file. I submitted a change request, but my hopes aren't very high that it will happen anytime soon if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
        I just wish ACDSee would read the correction data that is embedded in the RAW file. I submitted a change request, but my hopes aren't very high that it will happen anytime soon if ever.
        Sadly, if it were that simple, I would think applications like Affinity Photo, RawTherapee, Darktable, to name just a few that also use Lensfun would have gone that route.

Comment

Thank you all for the information supplied. I did look at the sites quoted by Greyfox, and found in Lensfun a couple of Leica TL lenses (but not the one I use mostly). However, even these do not appear in the lens choices offered, in the drop down list. I expect that they will make their way into ACDSee in due course. I would expect them to be a closer approximation to the lens I use than the default Chinon alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by mspil View Post
            Thank you all for the information supplied. I did look at the sites quoted by Greyfox, and found in Lensfun a couple of Leica TL lenses (but not the one I use mostly). However, even these do not appear in the lens choices offered, in the drop down list. I expect that they will make their way into ACDSee in due course. I would expect them to be a closer approximation to the lens I use than the default Chinon alternative.
            The combined price of your Leica CL camera and the Leica Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH Lens might well put it out of reach of many, and that could reduce the chances of someone else submitting photos taken with that combination for calibration.

Perhaps it would be worth you considering taking and submitting the necessary photos. My understanding is that once they have been calibrated, you will be able to add the details into the existing Lensfun files in your installation, rather than having to wait until Lensfun releases a new version that includes them, and then ACDSee releasing an update that includes the Lensfun update.

Comment

Working...
            X