Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup database

Hi there

I want to back up my database in Ultimate 2021. If I do that then the backup appears to be 13gb. I suspect the media/photos are also in the backup. I don't want this, because I've already secured my media. In the backup menu for the database, I don't know what to do to keep the media/photos out of the backup.

By the way when I export the database is size is 3,5 gb. How come?

What can I do?
    Last edited by Nativeone; 08-03-2021, 05:29 AM.

Originally posted by Nativeone View Post
    Hi there

I want to back up my database in Ultimate 2021. If I do that then the backup appears to be 13gb. I suspect the media/photos are also in the backup. I don't want this, because I've already secured my media. In the backup menu for the database, I don't know what to do to keep the media/photos out of the backup.

By the way when I export the database is size is 3,5 gb. How come?

What can I do?
    The database backup wizard (Tools->Database->Backup Database has some options you can set.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Backup.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	56849

The backup is a compressed Zip file and if you configure it as per the screen shot above, it will be relatively small.
    See https://help.acdsystems.com/en/acdse...abase%20backup for more information

The Tools->Database->Export->Database is not the same as the database backup above. To understand what it does see:
    https://help.acdsystems.com/en/acdse...ort%20database

You should also perhaps watch this tutorial on ACDSee's database https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bh8R-2iCrQ
    Last edited by Greyfox; 08-03-2021, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Okay, I'll follow your advice and make the backup this way. I had done it before, but when I saw that the export tool produced a larger file I thought the backup would be incomplete.

I'll check out the youtube video as well.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I have a similar issue that I am trying to understand .
        My dashboard says: 77,548 image files, 1,047 video files, 220 others, over 1,000 folders browsed (mostly on an external drive). Database size is 7.6GB, ACDSee thumbnail cache is 5.6GB.

When I run the backup wizard with these settings:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ACDSee backup wizard settings.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	57577

It gives me a database backup size of: 322GB!?!?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ACDSee backup wizard size.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	57578

When I untick the 'Backup files of type:' Then the database size becomes 341MB...
        1. Is this because I am asking the wizard to physically backup the actual image (RAW and JPEG) files (as well as the associated ACDSee data)?
        2. Why then does my dashboard say the database is 7.6GB?
        3. Is the wizard compressing the database from 7.6GB down to 341MB?
        If anyone can assist/explain, I'm just trying to understand it.
        As it sits at the moment, I have never backed up my database/catalog yet
        I'll have a look at the database youtube video mentioned above as well.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyMc View Post
          Is this because I am asking the wizard to physically backup the actual image (RAW and JPEG) files as well as[/I] the associated ACDSee data?
          Correct. The default setting for backup does NOT have "Backup files ot type" ticked.
          By ticking it, you have indeed asked it to backujp all of your images, also all documents of the types specified in Tools>Options>Document Types, which it then confirms on the 3rd dialog of the backup wizard (from your screenshot "File types: Indudes image and document files"

The database uncompressed size is given in the Dashboard - as per your post 7.6GB
          That database size includes all of the thumbnails.

The default backup setting does NOT backup the thumbnails, and the back up compresses the database files into a single single zip file.
          So yes, if you use the default settings, which are appropriate for most purposes, the size of the backup is relatively small.
          For example, one of my databases is around 3.3GB and the backups for it using the default settings are around 15MB.

Comment

Great. Thanks for that. I think knew the answer , just needed someone with more knowledge to confirm what I was thinking.
            Thankyou.

Comment

A great use of using the database backup with image files included is to secure a remote and complete set. I save such a backup on external drives. I appreciate having all my images secured complete with the database off site. (In my case a detached garage loft.)

Comment

Working...
              X