Using External Editors on ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using External Editors on ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2021

Here's one out of left field which could best be described as "niche". Not sure if anyone will have the same set up as me or have anything similar to the same desired functionality ... but here goes!

I run ACDSee on a Windows 10 virtual machine (VM) running inside a Mac operating system (using Parallels).

I would like to be able to launch a Mac app as an external editor from inside ACDSee.
    Of course, when you choose an external editor in ACDSee, the system is looking for .EXE files exclusively.
    Any thoughts on a work-around which might allow me to launch the external Mac app. as an external editor from inside ACDSee?

(PS. I know I could use ACDSee for Mac instead of the Windows version I use and overcome the problem that way ... but frankly having used a trial Mac version, it's not nearly as good as the Windows release).

Originally posted by BenVee View Post
    Here's one out of left field which could best be described as "niche". Not sure if anyone will have the same set up as me or have anything similar to the same desired functionality ... but here goes!

I run ACDSee on a Windows 10 virtual machine (VM) running inside a Mac operating system (using Parallels).

I would like to be able to launch a Mac app as an external editor from inside ACDSee.
    Of course, when you choose an external editor in ACDSee, the system is looking for .EXE files exclusively.
    Any thoughts on a work-around which might allow me to launch the external Mac app. as an external editor from inside ACDSee?

(PS. I know I could use ACDSee for Mac instead of the Windows version I use and overcome the problem that way ... but frankly having used a trial Mac version, it's not nearly as good as the Windows release).
    Given that a VM isolates the applications running in it from any other software on the computer, I don't think that would be possible.
    Perhaps an option is to use a Windows based external editor that would also run in the VM.

Comment

I have never used a mac, but at a guess the only way I can see is to share a folder on the mac (does it use Samba?) and mount the folder into the windows vm using network services, then in acdsee export the image to the shared folder, flip over to the mac screen, do your ediits, flip back to the windows screen and re-import into AcDsee

Comment

Thanks guys ... appreciate the responses and efforts. Parallels does a pretty good job in sharing and integrating resources so you can call Mac applications generally from within the windows environment (and they launch in MacOS) and vice versa. Folder sharing is on by default for me, so that's not an issue.
        I'm thinking I probably need to write a Windows script to launch the Mac app ... and then rename the script to an .EXE file so that I can point ACDSee to it. That my work. I'll have a play with it!
        Thanks again Greyfox (not for the first time!) & MrSteveVee (no relation!)

Comment

I have several external Editors that point to CMD and LNK files. When being asked to choose the EXE, change the search phrase "*.EXE" with "*.*" and hit RETURN.

However, I have no idea how to start a mac app from a CMD in parallels.

Comment

Thanks guys ... appreciate the responses and efforts. Parallels does a pretty good job in sharing and integrating resources so you can call Mac applications generally from within the windows environment (and they launch in MacOS) and vice versa. Folder sharing is on by default for me, so that's not an issue.
            I'm thinking I probably need to write a Windows script to launch the Mac app ... and then rename the script to an .EXE file so that I can point ACDSee to it. That my work. I'll have a play with it!
            It probably isn't difficult to swap between ACDSee working in VM, and a MAC editing application outside of VM. The issue I think problematic is how to pass the selected image or images directly from ACDSee in VM to the editor outside of the VM, rather than having to open them from within the editor as an extra step.

Comment

I want to add the Windows Photos app as an External Editor, but ACDSee will only look for .EXE files and I did try replacing that with *.* but it still only allowed me to view .exe files. Since the Photos App is a .dll file does anyone know how I can set it up as an External Editor? I am using Windows 10.

My computer has crashed before and when I reopen my images only the Photos App lets me see the created date.
              Yes, I have input the created date in the metadata but it seems a lot of that gets lost somewhere and I have to start all over again.

Comment

A DLL file is a dynamic Link Library and is not executable, it needs an EXE file to execute the code withing the DLL so you will need to locate the app EXE file that calls the DLL, hope this helps

Comment

There is no Exe file for the Photo app. The app is called by:

%SystemRoot%\System32\rundll32.exe "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll", ImageView_Fullscreen

You may embed this string into a batch file and call the batch file from within ACDSee, this should work.

Comment

Working...
                  X