Develop dims raw file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Develop dims raw file

I have Ultimate 2021. When I open a Fuji raw picture file in Develop (or Edit) mode the picture immediately dims about 2 ev's and the colors become muted. This only happens with raw files from my Fuji X-T3. It doesn't happen with raw files from my Sony DSC-RX100M6 or a Jpeg. Is there some obscure setting that is causing this?

Originally posted by Steamer View Post
    I have Ultimate 2021. When I open a Fuji raw picture file in Develop (or Edit) mode the picture immediately dims about 2 ev's and the colors become muted.
    I have downloaded a sample 6240 x 4160px .RAF raw image from a Fuji XT3, 148.5 MB uncompressed. What I see when I open it in Develop mode is a relatively brief period during which there is a small "Loading" notice displayed. At the end of that period there is only a very slight dimming, certainly nothing like 2.0ev.

During the "loading" period what I initially see would be the JPG preview image the camera embeds in the raw file. At the end of the "loading" period when the the basic develop has taken place I then see the developed RAW file. In the attached screen shot, which shows the image at the end of the "loading" period, you can see the Histogram is well balanced. A shift upwards in exposure of just 0.17ev is sufficient to produce clipped highlights, so in short I don't see anything amiss with the basic development of this sample image.

The embedded JPG in the raw has been "developed" in the camera, and would have had a tone curve applied. Depending on that "in camera" process, and also the "base development" process in the post processing software, there might be differences between the embedded image and the RAW. What matters is whether the raw image is being developed properly in the post processing software, and as far as the sample image I tried it appears to be.

I guess a relevant question is what does the Histogram show for your photos?.
    Another question is have you installed the ACDSee RAW update that was released in January 2021?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FUJI XT3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	608.4 KB
ID:	57027

Comment

Steamer Same setup as you, ACDSee 2021 and a Fuji shooter (X-T1 & X-T3). I do not notice any dimming. Try changing "Options -> General and Raw Display, to see if either works better. Note, I do have "create preview" for RAW files selected.

Comment

Steamer

Here is a comparison of the whilst "loading" and final views in Develop for the same image using the two options for RAW Display in Tools->Options->General->Raw Display (Raw Decode or Embedded Preview), along with their respective Histograms.

See also the Help file information from https://help.acdsystems.com/en/acdse...RAW_images.htm

Click image for larger version

Name:	RAW Preview settings comp.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	57032

Comment

Ok. Now I understand what I was seeing. I didn't know I was seeing the embedded jpeg when I opened the picture in view mode vs the actual raw picture in develop mode. I tried switching back and forth with the Embedded preview and the RAW decode in the RAW display option and I see the difference in View mode. Many thanks to Greyfox and jtruchon for your explanation.

Comment

Working...
          X