Can't Move Database to new location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Move Database to new location

I am trying to move the database to my Main Internal SSD drive rather than hard drive to gain a bit more performance. I copied all the database files to a new location, opened the database and restarts successfully, then afterwards all new starts, says loading then I get this error msg and the application crashes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	ACDSee Error Msg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	57198

I managed to find a way to load it by holding Ctrl-Shift while launching the app, which then requests permission to write to the system, accept, then it loads the database. I tried creating a new database in the same location and that works fine, so it isn't the location. If I replace the files in the New Database folder it doesn't work anymore and have to use the Ctrl-Shift method. I am at a loss here, what's going on? Drive was excluded, so I included it... no difference. Rebooted, no difference.
    Last edited by Regor250; 09-14-2021, 05:45 PM.

Regor250

1. With ACDSee set to use the original database, do a database backup
    (a) Tools->Database->Backup Database.
    (b) Select Create a new backup, then click Next
    (c) Important. In the New Backup dialog select Include Thumbnails, then click on Next
    (d) Browse to select a location for the backup, then click on Next
    (e) Click on Next again to start the backup, then when the backup has completed, click on Finish.

2. Optional - Select dashboard, Database Tab and take a screen shot of the information.

3. Create a new database at your new location - File->Database->New

ACDSee will restart, with the current database being the database at the new location.

4. Go to Tools->Database->Restore Database.
    5. In the "ACDSee Database Restore Wizard", browse to the backup you made in Step 1 then click on Next, then Yes, then Finish.
    6. Allow ACDSee to restart.
    7. Optional - Select dashboard, Database Tab and compare details with the screen shot taken in step 2. (They should be the same).

Once ACDSee is working with the new database, and I've made a new backup (without thumbnails), I would normally delete the backup made in step 1 to recover the space.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 09-14-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Tx again Greyfox, that's what I'll do. I was doing what ACDSee said to do in one of their support pages, but it could have been for older database versions. It is probably something simple that gets messed up in the registry with permissions. Perhaps ACDSee ought to create a "Relocate Database" function. Anyhow the backup-->restore routine will be good practice. The ugly error handling ought to be addressed though. The application error handling should provide an opportunity to open a different database when there is failure to open one.
      Last edited by Regor250; 09-14-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
        ...The application error handling should provide an opportunity to open a different database when there is failure to open one.
        I agree. In the event that the last used database is missing, or unable to be opened, the application should either open a default new empty database, and notify the user it has done so, or at least start up so the user can create a new database, or direct it to another existing database..

Comment

The backup move over went smoothly (I put the database in the C:\Application Data\ACDSee\Database\ hidden folder so it could be shared). The only hickup was redirecting my wife's user account to share the new database location. I neglected to ensure she had full rights to the database folder, so it crashed again but the light came on quicker this time around ;-)
          Last edited by Regor250; 09-14-2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
            I am trying to move the database to my Main Internal SSD drive rather than hard drive to gain a bit more performance.

Have you determined if you gain any performance using the SSD for the database? I recently moved mine from the C: to my D: that all of my photos are stored on. C: is my SSD and D: is a HDD RAID setup. I had done some earlier startup/mode change tests based on other users problems and since the change I have noticed no practical differences.

Comment

There seems to be but I will compare again tomorrow as I have both instances of the databases accessible on the SSD and SATA HD and I'll let you know what I get more precisely as I did not time individual database searches to compare. Overall it seems that my time from Manage to Develop on first launch went from 20sec to 13sec (but I also set the GPU as priority for the app) so I'll check that again and the database search.

UPDATE: OK, tried simple keyword search (approx. 13sec) and first launch Develop mode (also approx. 13 sec) comparison database on SSD vs SATA drive and I see no significant difference between the 2, everything else being equal. Approx. count without watch, but close enough to be insignificant (3-4 sec would be considered significant).
              Last edited by Regor250; 09-15-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X