Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gradient Map Adjustment Layer Options

Hello to all,
    Could someone explain me how the Gradient Map Adjustment Layer Options works.
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Framon View Post
    Hello to all,
    Could someone explain me how the Gradient Map Adjustment Layer Options works.
    Thanks in advance.
    Basically you can use Gradient map to apply a color gradient from one color to another based on the lightness value of the pixels in the image. As it is applied as an adjustment layer its effect can be altered by the mask, and you can also vary the effect by the choice of blend mode.

The screen shots below show the original image on the left. On the right it has had a gradient map adjustment layer added, with the Shadow Color blue (0/0/255) and the highlight color orange (255/128/0), masked with a Channel Select (blue channel) and with the blend mode set to Linear Light and the opacity of the gradient map layer set to 75.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gradient Map.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	57855

Comment

There are a number of videos on YouTube, whether for ACDSee or Photoshop, well worth watching. Basically it applies a tonal adjustment based or lights and darks. Select White for the lights and Black for the darks and you'll end up with a B&W image. Various colors can be used to simulate old photographs and emulsions, to warm the lights and cool the darks etc. Basically select a color (warm or cold) to for the lights and darks, apply some transparency to make the effect more subtle.

Comment

Thank you very much to both of you.
        In other words, the purpose of this tool is mainly to create effects on the image. I had imagined that it was a base to work with elaborate masks for future very precise retouching.
        I'll be sure to look for related tutorials on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Framon View Post
          .. I had imagined that it was a base to work with elaborate masks for future very precise retouching.
          For that purpose, you would look more to masks like Luminance masks where you could adjust based on the luminance of the pixels, or saturation masks where you could adjust based on the saturation of the pixels, or color range masks where you could adjust those pixels that are within a particular color range.

Comment

Yes, of course, you are right.

Comment

Working...
            X