Renaming *.wav and *.jpg files simultanously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming *.wav and *.jpg files simultanously

I have many JPG files that have a WAV file that includes descriptions and pertinent information in them. If I rename the JPG file and either make a mistake in renaming the WAV file or forget to rename the WAV file it breaks the link between them and I loose the information. Does anybody know if there is a way that I can simultaneously rename the JPG file and WAV to prevent loss of information? Thanks for your help in advance.

Good news. It already works exactly the way you would like it to. I tested this several times just to make sure (with real jpegs and real wav files). The only requirement is that the JPG and the WAV files must have identical file names. For example: IMG001.JPG, IMG001.WAV, IMG002.JPG, IMG002.WAV. If that is how you named your files, the Rename function will simultaneously rename them to any new name. Copy some test files and give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Thanks LV_Bill, I'll try it

Comment

I'm using ACDSee 2021 Ultimate in Windows 10; tried it by selecting the photograph and used the rename function from the drop down using right click and it only renamed the photograph not the *.WAV file setting right next to it. Tried selecting both the pic and the *.WAV which are identically named except the extension and it brought up a Rename box and I couldn't see how to use that. I'm still stumped...

Comment

[email protected]

My observation with this (in U2022) is as follows.

If you take a JPG image and a .wav audio file, put them in the same folder and rename them with the same name (for example IMG-01.JPG and IMG-01.WAV then

(a) Both the JPG and the wave file thumbnails will show the audio "speaker" overlay (You will probably have to do a View/Refresh all before it shows on the JPG thumbnail)
          (b) If you select the JPG then in the Properties pane, file tab you will see the audio player and you can play the audio.
          (c) If you select both the JPG and the WAV file the rename dialog will let you rename the pair.

However

(d) if you only select one of the pair and rename it, you break the link, and after a refresh the audio "speaker" overlay will no longer be on the JPG tab.

(e) If you move either the JPG or the WAV file (but not both) to another folder, the link is broken.

The help file also confirms this by saying
          "If you move or rename either an image file or the audio file associated with it, both files must be renamed and in the same folder or they will no longer be associated".

An alternative to consider with JPG and TIFF files is to embed the audio in the image file. Then you don't have to worry about the link being broken. The help file explains how to do this.
          Last edited by Greyfox; 12-29-2021, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks Greyfox, apparently this is not an option in U2021 (another reason to upgrade). I am also going to look into embedding the audio file into the JPG as that seems to be a seamless way to keep the audio file with the picture. Really appreciate the help, ACDSee Ultimate has so much functionality it is hard to grasp it all!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              Thanks Greyfox, apparently this is not an option in U2021
              Actually it is the same in ACDSee Ultimate 2021 as in 2022.
              When you rename the wav file to the same as the jpg (in the same folder) the audio is linked to the jpg. As in U2022, you have to use View/Refresh all in U2021 to have the "speaker" overlay appear on the jpg thumbnail

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPG with asssociated wav.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	58734

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

Actually it is the same in ACDSee Ultimate 2021 as in 2022.
                When you rename the wav file to the same as the jpg (in the same folder) the audio is linked to the jpg. As in U2022, you have to use View/Refresh all in U2021 to have the "speaker" overlay appear on the jpg thumbnail

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPG with asssociated wav.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	58734
                Duh... I finally got it, once the rename tool opens you just type the new name you desire in the Template box and it does them both! Thanks for persisting along with me Greyfox, I'm just slow on the uptake! Maybe I'll still upgrade too . Again thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                X