Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show EXIF date in Thumbnail Info for .mov and other video files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show EXIF date in Thumbnail Info for .mov and other video files?

Hi!

Ultimate 2020 here. Importing iPhone 12 and 13 .jpg and .mov files.

Exiftool tells me the .mov files have "Create Date" and "Modify Date" in them, just like the .jpg files do. In the Thumbnails view, the .jpgs are configured to show the Create Date. .mov files don't show anything there. As a work around, I added file create date, but of course that reflects the most recent time the file was moved since it's file information and not exif information. It seems like ACDSee Ultimate isn't looking at the exif info in .mov files.

Is there a way to get it to do so? I really just want all the files sorted together properly. Well, what I REALLY want is the .mov and .jpg files to be linked together so operations that happen to one would happen to both (when it makes sense).

But for a low hanging fruit, I'd like the like to be able to sort them so I see them together. Right now, I sort by filename, but even this isn't perfect. The Exif data would do it.

Thanks!!
    Rudy

twinotter

Whilst ExifTool can show some metadata for some video formats, it is not the standard EXIF metadata found in still image formats, and more importantly if you select one of your video files and look in the Properties pane, Metadata Tab, and select All EXIF you will see the fields are not supported by ACDSee Ultimate ( and that applies to 2020, 2021 and 2022).

A possible work around would be to use date the video was originally taken (CreateDate) as a prefix for the filename.

For example
    Exiftool "-Filename<${CreateDate}" -d %Y-%m-%d%%-03.c.%%e *.mov

would rename any mov files to YYYY-mm-dd-000.mov with any files with the same CreateDate given the next number, ie:
    2020-12-08-000.mov
    2020-12-08-001.mov

Note video formats can have the CreateDate repeated in several places in the metadata, so the above instruction may produce a warning that "the ExtractEmbedded option may find more tags in the media data.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 12-24-2021, 12:36 AM.

Comment

That's disappointing. I would expect that ACDSee would handle meta data as a plug-in, populating its own database in whatever manner it's directed...

There's a pretty easy exiftool command line that will change the file created date to whatever is in the exif data... I think that's the workaround I prefer since it's nice to have the filenames match the image filenames.

I appreciate the information though!! Hopefully ACDSee will figure out how to incorporate the data in the video files. But I'll hold off updating until they have better support for image/video combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by twinotter View Post
        ...There's a pretty easy exiftool command line that will change the file created date to whatever is in the exif data
        The "file created date" changes when ever a file is copied in the Windows system. So if you change it to the video metadata CreateDate, then copy the file to another folder, that copy will have a different file created date (the date of the copy).

Comment

When I look at file properties in Win10 File Explorer for a *.mov or *.mp4 file, the first tab will show:
          File Created
          File Modified
          As stated above, these date/time stamps are fluid, and Win10 will change either or both of these dates with various file operations including file operations carried out within ACDSee. For example, if I add a title in ACDSee, Win10 will change the date stamp to when I added the title.

A more reliable "source of truth" date/time stamp is the Win10 "Media Created" which can be found in the Details tab.

So my questions:
          If I use Exiftool to change the filename, will this mess up the ACDSee database so that any other information attached to that video file in ACDSee is lost, and the file becomes an orphan?
          Secondly, if I can use EXIFtool without messing up ACDSee, is CreateDate above, the same as "Media Created" in Win10?

As a side issue, I have recently transferred all of my images/videos to a NAS running Synology DSM7 and their Photos app. Synology does a much better, and seamless job of managing date/time stamps. I haven't entirely figured it out, but so far I am very pleased that in Timeline view, videos and images are arranged by when they were taken.

Thanks for any help on this topic.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by coopermedical View Post
            So my questions:
            If I use Exiftool to change the filename, will this mess up the ACDSee database so that any other information attached to that video file in ACDSee is lost, and the file becomes an orphan?
            This gets a bit complex to answer.
            The answer in short is that when you rename a file using any 3rd party application, ACDSee will see the file as a new file and the database entries for the old file become orphans.

You can get round the "orphan" bit by having Exiftool place the renamed files (copies) in another directory, leaving the originals with their name unchanged where they were.

typically

Exiftool -o dummy "-Filename<${CreateDate}" -d C:\Fred\%Y%m%d_%H%M%%-03.c.%%e C:\Alfred\*.mp4

would copy all of the .mp4 files in the directory C:\Alfred, and place them renamed in the directory C:\Fred with the filename stucture YYYYMMDD_HHMM-nnn.mp4

There may be a cleaner version of that command, but as it is it works for me.

The new files will retain any metadata that was actually embedded in the original files.

BUT

If you have assigned keywords, captions etc to the original video file and then used "embed ACDSee metadata" that metadata is written to sidecar xmp files, and the above command doesn't handle the xmp files.

I'm by no means expert with Exiftools, and there may be a way around that, but as it stands you would have to do the rename BEFORE you embedded any ACDSee metadata.

Secondly, if I can use EXIFtool without messing up ACDSee, is CreateDate above, the same as "Media Created" in Win10?
            Yes, AFAIK the metadata CreateDate is what is shown in Windows 10 Properties, Details Tab, Origin Section as Media Created, and that shows correctly with the copied renamed files using the above command.
            Last edited by Greyfox; 01-04-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Sadly, ACDSee does not recognize the Media Created data. It sure would make all of the above much easier!
              Neither my iPhone IOS14 nor my Canon PowerShot G16 allow for custom file naming - they both generate useless img_###.mp4 or img_###.jpg. No way of changing this.
              Greyfox suggestions are very time consuming but may be the only way to go other than individually renaming each video file. I tried doing that but it was extremely frustrating. You have to have Windows File Manager open and work side by side, identifying the corresponding file then going into properties and details then back to ACDSee.

The best workflow going forward is to rename video files in a batch before opening ACDSee.

Thanks Greyfox for your helpful suggestions!
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by coopermedical View Post
                The best workflow going forward is to rename video files in a batch before opening ACDSee.
                Mike, if you import (or otherwise transfer) your video files into a single work folder, then the one Exiftool command will rename all of them using their individual CreateDate.
                As you say, that is best done before opening ACDSee.

Comment

In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread, I will add one more hopefully helpful detail. I have selected one folder for new uploads from my iPhone and Camera. I right-clicked on the folder in ACDSee and selected "Exclude from database". ACDSee marked the folder with a red circle. Now I can go into this folder and use EXIFtool to change the file names, then move the images and videos into the appropriate non-excluded folder in ACDSee.
                  I haven't tested this yet, but it should do the trick going forward.

Comment

Working...
                  X