Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been experimenting with the Free version of Luminar 4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by hectorsm View Post

    Sorry for the small images. I kept getting some kind of error when I tried uploading the full size. The images in my previous post should be a little bit better but still not at full res. I'm still trying to learn how to post the images.
    Hector,

    ACDSee have a quite small allowance for images uploaded to the forum, they don't actually want users to upload high res images.
    In most cases relatively low res screen shots are adequate for forum subjects. Where it is necessary to pass on high res images, use a file transfer service like Dropbox or the free WeTransfer service, and post a link in the forum to the download.

    In regards to Luminar 4, if you do use it be aware that it's support of metadata is not good, particularly IPTC and XMP, so if it is used freestanding you might find the saved version no longer has some of the metadata. You can avoid that by using it as a plug in from ACDSee's edit mode as I do, but there were some issues reported getting that to work.

    Comment


    • #17
      Luminar did an excellent job there, not easy to do better or even as good in ACDSee, but possible nonetheless:

      Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.2 KB ID:	58870
      Last edited by Regor250; 01-05-2022, 09:47 PM. Reason: To add more info

      Comment


      • #18
        One thing that happened when editing this image, I lost the ability to see selection overlay. I could still make a selection, but the overlay wasn't visible. There's an obvious bug, but I am not sure of the sequence of edit I need to do to replicate it. I'll have to work on that. Sometimes saving and closing the image restored the selection overly for a brief moment. I could still save selections (that I couldn't see) to the selection basket, and opening the overly option window showed the presence of the selection, but it wasn't visible in the edit preview window.

        Comment


        • #19
          Hi Regor250

          it's true, Luminar (I have Luminar AI as a plugin) does it best, better than Photoshop.
          Still, I'm surprised at how well the ACDSee can do. How did you do this? I would be very happy to receive an answer. Thanks in advance.

          Sorry for the google translation

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by gfxtom View Post
            Hi Regor250

            it's true, Luminar (I have Luminar AI as a plugin) does it best, better than Photoshop.
            Still, I'm surprised at how well the ACDSee can do. How did you do this? I would be very happy to receive an answer. Thanks in advance.

            Sorry for the google translation
            Basically created a new layer with the sky, applied the Darken blend mode, and added a mask to protect the non-sky areas. Applying some transparency also brought back some of the finer details. The tricky part is to get a good mask. For the image above I created a high contrast B&W version of the image, saved it and converted it to pure B&W in view mode then added it back as a layer, and copy pasted it as a mask, then deleted the layer. When the mask leaves unwanted transition edges I fine tune (Select>Refine) it by copying it as a selection, adjusting the selection edges by a few pixels, and then recreate the mask from the adjusted selection. I sometimes also simply painted white on the mask where the details were coarser, and the darken blend mode took care of blending the edges transitions. If you want to bring back some of the areas of the sky because of the transparency, create a blank layer underneath the sky, and paint white where you want to hide the original sky coming through. The method of selection really matters not, whatever works best for the given image. For example, in the example below (I was trying to replicate the overlay bug), I simply used a combination of Luminance/Color range selection and manual magic selection with some Refine applied and I'd say it worked pretty good on that dead fir tree, which is the most challenging detail here (and I'm working from an Gigapixel enlarged low resolution version of the original at that. Using Gigapixel AI to enlarge your original 4x or even 6x is a good way to add pixels to small details to get a better mask too):


            Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.2 KB ID:	58886
            Last edited by Regor250; 01-06-2022, 11:01 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Hi Regor250!

              Thank you very much for these great instructions. I'll try that in a moment.
              All the best and stay healthy!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

                Hector,

                ACDSee have a quite small allowance for images uploaded to the forum, they don't actually want users to upload high res images.
                In most cases relatively low res screen shots are adequate for forum subjects. Where it is necessary to pass on high res images, use a file transfer service like Dropbox or the free WeTransfer service, and post a link in the forum to the download.

                In regards to Luminar 4, if you do use it be aware that it's support of metadata is not good, particularly IPTC and XMP, so if it is used freestanding you might find the saved version no longer has some of the metadata. You can avoid that by using it as a plug in from ACDSee's edit mode as I do, but there were some issues reported getting that to work.
                Thanks for the advice. I thought about posting a link from my Flickr account. That should work also, except for raw files.

                Good to know we can use L4 as a plugin to ACDSee.

                Hector

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
                  Luminar did an excellent job there, not easy to do better or even as good in ACDSee, but possible nonetheless:

                  Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.2 KB ID:	58870
                  Excellent results. Hopefully ACDSee will make that process a little easier in a future update. Although, I can think of other features that should be higher priority that need improvements before this one.

                  Hector

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Thanks for the thread. Good education. Especially helpful was the side-by-sides from Greyfox. It highlights the need to have appropriate shadowing in the subject area for the sky being inserted. The result was very good but I got the "feeling" that something was off. Be careful when fooling with Mother Nature.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X