Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happened to Photo Mode???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Happened to Photo Mode???

    I just upgraded from ACDSee Ultimate 2021 to 2022. What a disappointment! I really liked Photo Mode where I could ese all of my images in chronological order. But that feature seems to have been removed in ACDSee Ultimate 2022. Can I ger my money back???

  • #2
    Originally posted by Technomann2 View Post
    I just upgraded from ACDSee Ultimate 2021 to 2022. What a disappointment! I really liked Photo Mode where I could ese all of my images in chronological order. But that feature seems to have been removed in ACDSee Ultimate 2022. Can I ger my money back???
    Photo mode has been replaced by Media Mode which has more useful features, including a folder tree, but you can still browse all your images in chronological order. For example just select "Sort by date taken". There is also a range of grouping options.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Media options.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	58816

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

      Photo mode has been replaced by Media Mode which has more useful features, including a folder tree, but you can still browse all your images in chronological order. For example just select "Sort by date taken". There is also a range of grouping options.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Media options.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	58816
      OK--got it! Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        OK in ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2021, in Photo Mode, there are images from 1998 and 1999. However these do not show up in Media Mode in ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2022. In Photo Studio Ultimate 2022 the earliest images are from 2000. Why is that?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Technomann2 View Post
          OK in ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2021, in Photo Mode, there are images from 1998 and 1999. However these do not show up in Media Mode in ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2022. In Photo Studio Ultimate 2022 the earliest images are from 2000. Why is that?
          Hard to answer definitively without knowing exactly what you have in your database, and what your settings are, but Media mode is showing images here as far back as 1943.
          That said, when looking at this question It highlighted an issue with some of my images.

          All the images I have prior to 2000 are scans of either old printed photos from family photo albums, or scans from 32mm color slides. My first digital camera was a Canon G2 which from memory was released in 2001.

          Most of the scans had only ,minimal Exif metadata written into the files by the various scanners used, but that metadata didn't include a Date/time Original date. Where I was able to identify the date the original photo was taken I had added that to the DateTime Original Exif field. Where I knew the year but not the exact date, I had added it as Jan 1 in that year, with the time set to 00:00. Where I didn't know even the year, I left this field blank.

          What this query has highlighted is that if an image doesn't have an Exif Date/time Original date, then the settings in Media Mode for sorting on date taken, and or grouping on year taken has no valid reference to work on. In the case of grouping on year taken it will show them in Media Mode under the group.heading of "Unknown Date".

          U2021 appears to be using the Windows file Modified date for its Photos Timeline, so there is a difference there.
          It would perhaps be nice to have an option added to the gouping so one could group on the Windows file dates (despite them relating to the file itself and not the actual date taken) but even if ACDSee went along with that idea, it isn't likely to happen any time soon.

          But what this has also reminded me is the date taken issue with video files. Whilst most video files do have metadata, it is not the standard Exif metadata associated with still images and there is also some inconsistency across the various video formats. The date the video was originally taken is embedded in the metadata but not in the Exif field ACDSee uses for its date taken reference.
          So basically all video files will show in Media Mode under the "Unknown Date" grouping.. The subject of video metadata has been discussed on this forum and other forums.
          Last edited by Greyfox; 01-05-2022, 08:28 PM.

          Comment

          Working...
          X