Group by Keywords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group by Keywords

I am using ACDSee Ultimate 2022 with Windows 11.

Just noticed that using the Group by... function selecting Keywords I get one group named No Keywords and a complete listing of all images.
    All my keywords are IPTC

Using Group by Day Taken, I will get a listing of how many pictures were taken for each day, like Friday 72 items, Saturday 24 items, etc.

Shouldn't that be the same when using by IPTC Keywords ?

Thanks for help and advice,

Originally posted by bwest View Post
    I am using ACDSee Ultimate 2022 with Windows 11.

Just noticed that using the Group by... function selecting Keywords I get one group named No Keywords and a complete listing of all images.
    All my keywords are IPTC

Using Group by Day Taken, I will get a listing of how many pictures were taken for each day, like Friday 72 items, Saturday 24 items, etc.

Shouldn't that be the same when using by IPTC Keywords ?
    Group by keywords works here, but it is using ACDSee keywords, not IPTC.

Comment

Keep in mind AC:keywords and IPTC:keywords are totally different worlds; all they share is the name. There's a rocket called "meta data presets" to travel from one world into the other, but you might loose cargo on the way.

Comment

Thanks Greyfox and Emil for your help,

Thought it a bit strange that only ACDSee keywords can be grouped.

Thanks again

Comment

Speculating here based on my own experience dealing with large volume of data processing, but I think doing any otherwise would likely be very inefficient as IPTC keywords are not stored in the database, but rather each individual files. To group files based in IPTC metadata, ACDSee would have to open, read, close every single files present in the selection, build a list/table of all keywords, and query that list; which isn't particularly efficient. Not an issue when there are only a handful of files, but it would bring the application to a stand still were there be thousands of files to process. It is possibly several order of magnitude faster if the data already resides in the database.

For us, end users, a keyword is a keyword and we don't care where they are stored, but for high volume of data processing, a database is the only way to go, hence I presume why ACDSee uses a database to store all its information. One might ask why not store the IPTC data in the database? Because IPTC data can be written in the file by other applications, ACDSee can not reliably store that information in its database as IPTC data. It could end up with potential data corruption as there is no guarantee that the data it has in the database isn't changed in the file by another app; and it would potentially become a mess confusing users with obsolete metadata. The only data it controls is its own hence why it does what it does.
          Regor250
          Last edited by Regor250; 01-13-2022, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
            Speculating here based on my own experience dealing with large volume of data processing, but I think doing any otherwise would likely be very inefficient as IPTC keywords are not stored in the database,
            I can assure you they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
              I can assure you they are.
              Then, if that is the case the reason isn't based on processing efficiency. Like I said I was speculating, but why does it take several seconds to specify a IPTC City value for 100 images at a time, where ACDSee shows the image count to how many images the data is saved to, but it is practically instantaneous to assign an ACDSee keyword?

Comment

Changes to AC tags are written to the db at first only. You need to start the embedding routine to save them to the images or sidecar files.
                Changes to IPTC tags are written to both db and images or sidecar on the fly.

Also writing tags to JPG images usually takes much more time compared to writing tags to side car files.
                Emil
                Ultimate Member
                Last edited by Emil; 01-14-2022, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X