Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embed ACDSee Metadata: which files are not changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embed ACDSee Metadata: which files are not changed?

The dialog says 11 files need to have ACDSee Metadata and Face Data embedded.

Under Embed, it shows it's all ACDSee Metadata

Once I clicked on Embed, it shows a summary

Items Selected: 11
    Items Processed: 0*
    * Only items that need updating are processed

Why does it show 11 files need to be embed but not updating them? Can I find out which files?

BTW, is there a way to invoke this instead going through the menu: Tools -> Metadata -> Embed ACDSee Metadata -> Embed in All Files. This is 4-level deep.

Thanks

Originally posted by cheerful View Post
    BTW, is there a way to invoke this instead going through the menu: Tools -> Metadata -> Embed ACDSee Metadata -> Embed in All Files. This is 4-level deep.
    (a) If you have an image or a group of images selected, then right click, Metadata/Embed ACDSee metadata

(b) If you have Tools/Options/Database/Display embed ACDsee metadata reminder set to "Every Shut down", then the embed dialog will open each time you exit out of ACDSee. If you don't want to embed, single click on Cancel, if you do want to embed, single click on embed.

...Once I clicked on Embed, it shows a summary

Items Selected: 11
    Items Processed: 0*
    * Only items that need updating are processed
    There is one situation I know will produce this result.

If I have Tools/Options/Database/Display embed ACDsee metadata reminder is set "Every Shut down" (and I do) and there are files with the embed pending flag set, then when I exit ACDSee it brings up the Embed ACDSee Metadata Dialog showing the number of files that have ACDSee metadata to embed, and the number that have ACDSee Face data to embed.

If I click on Embed, and the files in question happen to be read only, then the summary will look like
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Summary on exit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.5 KB ID:	59086
    Note that the View Errors is greyed out, because ACDSee is locked into exiting.

If I had requested the embed metadata from within the program, then the summary would look like

Click image for larger version  Name:	Summary with error.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	59087

and if I clicked on the View Errors button it would show each of the failed filenames, and the Error Code. In this case that the images are "read only".

Can I find out which files?
    There is the view errors mentioned above.

Also in manage mode (at least in U2021 and U2022, in the left Catalog pane, right at the bottom in the section special items is "Embed Pending"
    This will show any images that still have the embed pending flag set, and since in this example the embed was not able to be processed, the embed pending flag would still be set.

The Properties pane/File tab will show the status of Read only or hidden.

Perhaps if the files are in a location that you don't have write permission for, a similar situation might occur even if the files are not "Read Only"

Comment

AC also can't embed meta data for orphaned database entries.
      Please note, AC will reset the hidden flag for the files when embedding AC meta data.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
        AC also can't embed meta data for orphaned database entries.
        Please note, AC will reset the hidden flag for the files when embedding AC meta data.
        Optimize the database to remove orphans. All good now.

Thank you

Comment

Incidentally, you can find out what files have the Embed Pending flag set from the Catalog pane in Manage mode. Under Special Items, click Embed Pending. This will run a search that returns all such items in the database. This can help you view the files directly if you're having trouble tracking them down, so you can determine if they are read only/orphans/something else.

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

I thought metadata would not be written to raw pictures but only dng ones ? (ok for other file types).

Comment

Originally posted by brajaq View Post
              I thought metadata would not be written to raw pictures but only dng ones ? (ok for other file types).
              For file types (including RAW) that don't support embedding metadata, it is written to xmp sidecar files. ACDSee will keep the sidecar file together with its parent file, including through copy and move processes. Note however that 3rd party software, including Windows File explorer does not respect that bond.

Comment

Working...
              X