Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help with pixel targeting (luminance/color range)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with pixel targeting (luminance/color range)

Hi there,

I've been using ACDSee for many years (since version 3) and I'm actually very satisfied. I also use it a lot for image editing, but I also use Paintshop Pro 2022 and especially Photoshop Elements 2022 because it makes editing a lot easier.

With AC Ultimate 2021, I often and gladly used pixel targeting (luminance/color range) and got along with it very well. The handling of the Ultimate 2021 version is now completely different - I just can't handle it. I have the biggest problems with the luminance range in particular. The ACDSee videos don't help either. In fact, I get the impression that even the ACDSee video makers don't really know much about it. The "manual" is absolutely inadequate for this area, and also very badly translated (I have the German version).

I absolutely love my upgrade to version 2022 and can only advise against it - unfortunately I can't go back to 2021.

Nevertheless, I would be interested in how pixel targeting or "Luminance/Color Range" will work in 2022. In this forum (in contrast to the German forum) there are many well-informed and helpful AC users. I believe many of these use pixel targeting in version 2022 as well. Can someone please help with this? A short, understandable "Targeting Tutorial 2022" would of course be very welcome. I think that this would be interesting not only for me.

best regards and thank you,
    Tom

PS:
    Sorry for the bumpy Google translation, but unfortunately I speak very bad English.

Hi, I am interested too !

Comment

Auch mich würde das sehr interessieren!

Comment

The Ultimate 2022 YouTube Intro Video shows how the new function works, or in this workshop starting after the first hour https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-IJN0DnVk&t=4421s. Basically the same as the old Pixel Targeting (PT) except that the controls are different. In the PT function you had sliders to select brightness levels, now you have a 4 points control box going from Dark to Light. Color sliders are replaced by a color wheel, so now you can select colors and saturation like you do with all other color wheels. The two can be combined, and you can have several color wheel selection when you need to exclude some colors between 2 (or more) separate color range selections.
        Last edited by Regor250; 01-20-2022, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I can only comment on this in relation to the Ultimate version.

There is no doubt that pixel targeting is a very useful tool, and being able to use it now with the Develop brush in Development mode in ACDSee is a plus, and I personally prefer the new "Luminance Range" arrangement to the precious 5 band "Targeted Tones".

Unfortunately, for those trying to seek guidance from the help file, the documentation for this feature is extremely poor , with sections left in from a previous incarnation of the tool that no longer apply and are down right confusing.

There is also perhaps some confusion from the renaming of what used to be "Pixel Targeting" in the Edit's Select menu to "Luminance/Color Range", but leaving it as "Pixel Targeting" in other areas. Perhaps that is because there are actually two different panes in play.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pane Comparison.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	59223

In what is now called the Pixel targeting pane, some of the functionality varies depending on where it is called from. For example the button "Show Mask Preview" when Pixel Targeting is called from an Edit layer mask using the right click menu is not functional or needed, but the button still appears to have two active states giving the expectation that it should be doing something. It should have either been greyed out, or not shown at all in that situation.

Another point of confusion is the tool tip "Pick Colors by holding down Alt and clicking on the image". When called from an Edit layer mask, the color pick button doesn't actually work, with or without the Alt key. When used in conjunction with the Develop brush, the Alt key is needed for color picking, but in other Edit filter situations where color picking from Pixel Targeting is applicable, the Alt key isn't necessary. Currently the tool tip is the same in all situations.

There is some variation in how this tool can be used depending on where it is called from. The video Regor250 referred to covers the use with the Develop brush, but doesn't for instance explore what the relative advantages or disadvantages there might be from using the Luminance/Color Range from the Edit/Select Menu to make a selection from which a layer mask is then made, versus applying a layer mask, selecting the layer mask and then actioning Pixel Targeting from the right click menu.

Perhaps ACDSee's Adam would consider a dedicated workshop on this feature.

Comment

Thank You for your link, Regor250.A little long, but very interesting!

Question from a newbie: Is it an opportunity to create a button "Luminance Range" in Edit Mode?
            I tried via Toolbar Customization / Add-Remove Button / Customize. I chose the "Luminance Range" option under "Commands / Select" but I don't see it appear anywhere.
            What is the mistake I am making?

Thanks in advance.
            Last edited by Framon; 01-21-2022, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Many Thanks Regor250 and Greyfox!

I totally agree with Greyfox regarding the documentation and also regarding the confusion about the tooltip, mask preview, etc.
              It's actually a big mess and very confusing - hopefully ACDSee is reading along and responding to this.

"In the PT function you had sliders to select brightness levels, now you have a 4 points control box going from Dark to Light."

Unfortunately, this still causes me a lot of problems...

Nonetheless, thank you both
              Last edited by gfxtom; 01-21-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Hi, in previous versions of ACDSee we had 5 sliders that let you control how strong the pixels in those brightness bands were selected. The problem with that system was that it only worked really well if the pixels you wanted selected fell exactly in the range of those sliders. In 2022, the new control allows you to make a perfect selection in all cases.

I just looked at our help file and yeah, it doesn’t go into a lot of detail explaining the luminance control. I’ll give it a shot here.

The control shows a background which runs from black on the left to white on the right. The 4 nodes are there to let you select a brightness range, which will be shown by the blue outline. Any pixels in your image that fall within the blue outline will be selected. The height of the blue outline shows the strength that pixels will be selected with. If the blue outline is at the top of the control, those pixels will be selected with full strength.

For example, with these settings:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.png Views:	0 Size:	11.5 KB ID:	59233

If we go from left to right, any pixels with a brightness of less than 46 will not be selected at all. Pixels with a brightness of 47 will barely be selected, and the selection strength will increase until you get pixels with a brightness of 111, which will be fully selected. All pixels with a brightness of 111-214 will be fully selected. Any pixels with a brightness greater than 214 won’t be selected at all.

Hopefully you can see that in 2021, with the 5 sliders you could approximate what is happening with this selection, but you could never get it to be as precise as this selection will be.
                Last edited by Tony L; 01-21-2022, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for this helpful explanation.
                  Now I got it and tried it out immediately.

Grateful regards,
                  Tom
                  Last edited by gfxtom; 01-21-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony L View Post
                    ...I just looked at our help file and yeah, it doesn’t go into a lot of detail explaining the luminance control.
                    Tony,
                    I reported issues with Help documentation on Pixel targeting in U2021 containing incorrect and misleading information back on Sept 24th, 2021. That was acknowledged by support with an explanation that in part it was due to a page that should have been deleted, being left in, and I was informed that the issues raised had been added to the software tracking database.

I appreciate that support request would probably have been too late to have an effect on the documentation for the 2022 version that was released the same month, though I do wonder why it was not picked up in house when making the changes that were made in the documentation for pixel targeting for the U2022.

Is there any possibility that a patch for the help file might be made available, or will the corrections not happen until the U2023 version?.

Incidentally, the tool tip issue I mentioned in my previous post in this thread was also raised at the same time, and I understand that is also in the tracking database. I don't know whether the button issues are worth raising at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
                      I don't know whether the button issues are worth raising at this stage.
                      Does this mean that the answer to my question above

"Question from a newbie: Is it an opportunity to create a button "Luminance Range" in Edit Mode?
                      I tried via Toolbar Customization / Add-Remove Button / Customize. I chose the "Luminance Range" option under "Commands / Select" but I don't see it appear anywhere.
                      What is the mistake I am making?
                      "

is "Impossible!"

Comment

Originally posted by Framon View Post

Does this mean that the answer to my question above is "Impossible!"
                        The button issues I referred to in post #10 in this thread are the ones I referred to in post #5, not the tool bar one you refer to. .

But I don't think it is possible to create the tool bar button you want. Sorry.

Comment

Don't apologize. I probably misspoke. I try to write in broken English but it is not always easy.
                          In any case, thank you for reassuring me that what I was trying to do is impossible according to you.

Comment

@Tony L
                            Thank you for the good explanation of the Luminance slider.
                            What totally confuses me is this: when activated via the filter menu (e.g. color EQ) the eyedropper is active. A vertical line is displayed in the brightness range, but this disappears again immediately. Is that just for showing the approximate range? The mask preview works - but how can I save or use the mask?

When activated via an adjustment layer, the eyedropper does not work at all. Is it wanted like that?

In any case, thank you again for the trouble you've taken. Excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by WolfgangB View Post
                              What totally confuses me is this: when activated via the filter menu (e.g. color EQ) the eyedropper is active. A vertical line is displayed in the brightness range, but this disappears again immediately. Is that just for showing the approximate range?
                              Yes, when Luminance Range section is selected, and its eyedropper placed on the image, the dashed line shows the the luminance for that point. If you move the eyedropper to another area, then the dashed line will change position. It possibly helps see how it works if you use an image with well defined color areas. The dashed line is a guide to help set the the Luminance Range controls.

If you set the luminance range "box" and then move the eyedropper around the image, you will be able to tell from the dashed line, which areas are "within the box" and which areas aren't.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Luminance.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.0 KB ID:	59271

The mask preview works - but how can I save or use the mask?
                              When used in conjunction with an Edit filter, the pixel Targeting mask only determines which area will be affected by the filter adjustment, and is usable only within the filter currently being applied. Once you clock on Done, the filter adjustment is applied to the masked section (or to every other section if you invert it). The pixel targeting mask isn't a selection you can save. .

When activated via an adjustment layer, the eyedropper does not work at all.
                              Correct. I pointed that out in my post earlier in this thread. https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...59222#post5922.

Before calling up pixel targeting from an adjustment layer, make sure you tick the "Show overlay" in the layer mask properties. That way you will be able to see what is being affected by the Luminance Range and/or the Color range selectiion. The show mask preview also doesn't have any apparent effect in this mode.
                              Last edited by Greyfox; 01-22-2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X