Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help with pixel targeting (luminance/color range)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greyfox is right. The color picker for the luminance range control only shows a line indicating the brightness under the cursor. The original plan was to let you click and drag on the image to set the nodes, but it ended up being too complicated because there are 4 nodes and no way to know which one I should move. Just showing the line isn’t perfect, but it can help you find where you might want the nodes to be positioned.

There are 4 ways to use Pixel Targeting in ACDSee:
    1. In a filter like exposure – Use it here to limit where the exposure filter is applied to the image. It can also be combined with brushing and gradients here for even more control.
    2. Select->Luminance/Color Range – It has a different name here, but it’s the same thing. You can use it here to create a selection.
    3. Right click on a layer with a mask-> Pixel Targeting – Used here, pixel targeting will set a new layer mask.
    4. Develop mode brush panel – Opening pixel targeting here lets you limit where the current brush or gradient is applied to the image.
    You guys did bring up some valid problems though.
    1. The help file doesn’t give a very thorough explanation of the luminance range control. We have talked to our tech writer and it sounds like he’s going to make some changes.
    2. When opened from the layer menu, the color pickers don’t work. This is because it’s a modal dialog in this case. I should remove those buttons.
    3. When opened from the layer menu, the Show Mask Preview button doesn’t work. I should fix this! There is a workaround as Greyfox pointed out, but it’s not a perfect solution.

Comment

Tony L

Thanks for the information Tony, it's great to get feedback from those involved directly in the design..

Comment

Hi there,
        Many thanks to everyone for the good explanations. I think I finally understand pixel targeting now.
        Great that this forum exists!

Comment

Thank you very much for these valuable tips and explanations. Very special thanks to Greyfox and Tony! I also created a simple solid color graphic immediately after Greyfox's suggestion, which is really helpful. Pixel targeting with the filters no longer causes me any problems and that's enough for now. If I want to apply it to the adjustment layers, I still have my problems, but I'll keep practicing.
          Now I hope for an update soon. In any case, I am thrilled that help is being given so quickly and competently. Excellent!
          Last edited by WolfgangB; 01-24-2022, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I would like to intervene again on this subject.
            I used the "Luminance/Color range" tool. It creates a mask.
            So far, so good.
            If I use the adjustment tools at the bottom right of the screen, this mask disappears and I can make my adjustments.
            However, if I use the tools on the left of the screen, the mask does not disappear.
            Is there a solution?
            Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Framon View Post
              I
              If I use the adjustment tools at the bottom right of the screen, this mask disappears and I can make my adjustments.
              However, if I use the tools on the left of the screen, the mask does not disappear.
              Is there a solution?
              Thanks in advance.
              Do you mean in Edit Mode the Filter Tools normally the Left side, versus the Adjustment Layer Tools on the right side? You aways have the option to not show a selection in the Selection pull down menu, or to use marching ants to show your selection rather than a color overlay. As long as a selection is active you have the option to show or hide it, but when you create an Adjustment Layer from a selection, the selection is applied to the layer mask.
              Last edited by Regor250; 01-31-2022, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Regarding layers/masks you could have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DdKHygcUw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjKFfphQvzY (in english).

Comment

@ Regor250 :
                  Thank you for making me think of the "marching ants"...

Sorry if my English is not perfect when I ask a question. As Conficius wrote, a picture is worth a thousand words... So here is the meaning of my question:
                  After using the "Luminance/Color range" tool I get an image containing a mask. This is normal.
                  If I want to use the left correction tools of the "Filter" pane, the mask remains apparent (first image).However, when using the tools at the bottom right, the mask disappears (second image).
                  Is this normal?

Many thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	59482

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	59483
                  Attached Files

Comment

Framon

The "redish" area in your first screen shot is not a mask, it is an overlay showing the current selection. If you look at the layers panel in that shot you will see there is no mask present

I assume that selection was present when you applied an adjustment layer in the second screen shot, because it appears as a mask in the layers panel. An adjustment layer automatically has a mask, and if there is a selection present when you apply the adjustment layer, that selection becomes the mask.

In your first screen shot, any filter you apply will affect mostly only the sky, because that is the area selected.
                    In your second screen shot, the adjustment will affect mostly only the sky, because that is the white area of the mask.

Edit: In your second screen shot, if you click on the mask itself, it will expose a "Mask Properties" lower down in the layers panel. In the Mask Properties is a box labeled "Show Overlay". If you tick that, you will see the overlay area. Note however that the mask overlay shows the area that will be masked out (the black part of the mask), where as in your first screen shot, the selection overlay shows the selected area.

Name:	Layer Mask.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	59488
                    Last edited by Greyfox; 02-01-2022, 12:37 AM.

Comment

I completely agree with you, Greyfox, but I don't understand why the software reacts differently depending on whether you use the tools in the "Filter" pane or the "Adjustment layers" tools, because the preparation I used with the "Liminance/Color range" was identical in both cases.
                      It's not a big deal after all. It is enough to know it.

Anyway, thanks again for your precious advices and your availability.

Comment

Thank you all for posting re Ultimate 2022's Pixel Targeting. I am floundering with it & will read all your inputs to see if I can utilise this feature more than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Framon View Post
                          I completely agree with you, Greyfox, but I don't understand why the software reacts differently depending on whether you use the tools in the "Filter" pane or the "Adjustment layers" tools, because the preparation I used with the "Liminance/Color range" was identical in both cases.
                          It's not a big deal after all. It is enough to know it.

Anyway, thanks again for your precious advices and your availability.
                          My guess, because filters are destructive and layers (hence layer effects) aren't. You can change a mask to change where an effect is applied after the initial application, but not with filters (which go way back in time when the code was written). If you reapply a filter to a selection, the effect is added to the previous application and the effects can not be removed once it is applied.

Comment

Working...
                          X