Group pane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group pane

Why the hell does this still work this way?

The group pane (ALT-L)
    - has no vertical scroll bar
    - doesn't allow to use the scroll wheel
    - doesn't show how long the list actually is
    - short cut keys only support the first char of an item name

Instead we must hover the up/down button to scroll. For long lists, it even increases scroll speed far to much.
    This is so much old school and was popular for a very short time before introduction of scroll wheels in 1985!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anmerkung 2022-03-27 112051.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	59999

Originally posted by Emil View Post
    ...Why the hell does this still work this way?
    Perhaps the particular programmer that did this pane wanted to make a difference

In a potentially crowded layout like manage mode, scroll bars take up valuable real estate, and so tend to be made narrow, which makes them harder to use, but this pane certainly does cry out for the scroll wheel to be made active. It's hard to believe that was overlooked.

For those (including myself) that don't like the uncontrolled scroll when the cursor is hovered over the up/down indicators, just select one item, and you can then move up/down the list in a much more controlled manner using the up/down arrows on the keyboard.

Thankfully its not a pane I use often..

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
      Thankfully its not a pane I use often..
      I also hardly ever use it. I wouldn't ask for changes to my most often used tools, as they would probably break it. 🙄 AC has some hidden gems hardly ever noticed; of course only the rather old features, the newer ones usually are quite uninspired and incomplete.

The programmer of the feature discussed here has retired long time ago and no one will be blamed if its replaced with a modern tool.

Btw. What's the space right under the headline, above the list itself used for? I think I've never seen anything here. Just some spare place left free for my mug?
      Last edited by Emil; 03-27-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
        Btw. What's the space right under the headline, above the list itself used for? I think I've never seen anything here. Just some spare place left free for my mug?
        It appears to be just a somewhat unnecessarily wide header for the Table of contents, when that is selected in the Group menu.

If you deselect Table of Contents, but still elect to have a group applied, then the table of contents then becomes a pop up, accessed by the middle button of a group of three buttons at the bottom right of the file list, with the popup re-hidden as soon as the cursor leaves it. In that mode the table is then full height, and doesn't have the header, but I find it frustrating when I go to hover the cursor over the up/down buttons and accidentally move it off the list, which then immediately goes back into hiding. Unlike the Table of Contents panel which can be pinned so it doesn't hide, the group listing is without the pin functionality.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Table oc contents.jpg Views:	1 Size:	176.6 KB ID:	60009
        Last edited by Greyfox; 03-27-2022, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I know this variant too. They even may be visible at the same time if you pin the "Table of contents". Just puzzling.

Comment

Working...
          X