Mobile Sync: Photos with Unknown Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Sync: Photos with Unknown Date

I have just downloaded the Mobile Sync app onto my iPhone and am currently uploading my camera roll contents to ACDSee on my laptop. A significant number of the images in the camera roll do not have a date in their EXIF data, so are catalogued by ACDSee as date unknown. However, most of these have an image name that includes the data and time in yyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss format. Is there a way to create a preset that takes this information and converts it to a created date in the metadata so that ACDSee can place the images correctly chronologically in the folder? I cannot see an option in the preset creatin dialog that will allow this?

EDIT: I have found a free app that does this, however it would still be nice to know if it can be done by ACDSee.

https://www.relliksoftware.com/exifdatechanger/
    Last edited by AliGW; 04-04-2022, 11:26 PM.

Originally posted by AliGW View Post
    I have just downloaded the Mobile Sync app onto my iPhone and am currently uploading my camera roll contents to ACDSee on my laptop. A significant number of the images in the camera roll do not have a date in their EXIF data, so are catalogued by ACDSee as date unknown. However, most of these have an image name that includes the data and time in yyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss format. Is there a way to create a preset that takes this information and converts it to a created date in the metadata so that ACDSee can place the images correctly chronologically in the folder? I cannot see an option in the preset creatin dialog that will allow this?

EDIT: I have found a free app that does this, however it would still be nice to know if it can be done by ACDSee.

https://www.relliksoftware.com/exifdatechanger/
    Does your files created date and time match the date and time the files were taken? If so, you can do a batch update of the Exif in ACDSee using the Tools >Batch > adjust Time Stamp... option.

‚Äč

The main issue with image files like the ones your describing is that if you copy them to another drive, storage location or drive volume, you'll get a new created date for the file. Therefore, this method may not work for every scenario.

If that does not work for you, then maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.

Edit: my screen shot does not have the correct option selected. The option below the selected option is the one I'm referring to. You can check the other option to see if any on them will help you.

good luck,

Hector
    Last edited by hectorsm; 04-04-2022, 04:26 PM.

Comment

hectorsm

AliGW

Another potential problem with using ACDSee's Batch adjust time stamp to create the Exif Date/Time Original, from the file Windows Created date is that date/time is in local time, which may differ from the date/time in the filename as a result of daylight saving.. For example I have a photo here with a Samsung S10 phone with the filename 20220303_091136.JPG. That exactly matches the Exif Date/time Original, but the Windows 10 File create date showing today is 3/03/2022 08.11.36 and so the created date from that would be one hour different to the filename date/time..

ExifTool can easily create the Exif Date/time Original from the filename, when run from the command line, either for a single image or a group of images., .

The free version of the utility AliGW linked to seems to work well enough with JPG's though it doesn't add the Exif Date/Time Original to the source photo, it exports an adjusted copy. I personally don't have a problem with that..

It will run as an external editor from ACDSee's manage mode, but acts on what ever folders or images are selected in its own dialog, and not the images selected in ACDSee, so one has to be careful that the right selection is made.

Both still shots and videos from the Samsung S10 have the same filename format but with a different extension, for examplew 20191121_090715.mp4. Exif Date Changer will process these, but because the video format doesn't support conventional Exif fields, it embeds both Date/Time Original and CreateDate as xmp metadata, which is not recognised by ACDSee.
      Last edited by Greyfox; 04-04-2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you both.

The Windows created date does not help in this case, which is why I need to use the date in the file name.

As this is likely to be a one-off operation, I am going to run the app on the photos in question and keep the copies made by the app with the EXIF data included.

Thanks again for the responses.
        Last edited by AliGW; 04-04-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

It's the Exif Date/Time Original field you want the date added to. If you have a Mac, Graphic Converter can do this. I only recently found Exif Date Changer and plan to test it soon.

Comment

I don't have a Mac. The app I downloaded does what I need.

Comment

Working...
            X