Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Import from Disk does not Ask to Overwrite/Rename/Skip when identical files are seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import from Disk does not Ask to Overwrite/Rename/Skip when identical files are seen

I am running Windows 10 with ACDSee Photostudio Ultimate 2022. I currently have Tools->Options->File Management set to ASK me before duplication files. I also have both "Confirm folder Delete" and "Confirm File Delete" checkboxes checked. I have both "RESET to defaults" as well as left everything as I had it set and I still get the following behavior.

Source Folder: K:\2019-05-01
    pic1.jpg
    pic2.HEIC
    pic3.HEIC

Destination Folder (Identical content as Source Folder): M:\2019-05-01
    pic1.jpg
    pic2.HEIC
    pic3.HEIC

I am using the Import->From Disk action to import from the Source to the Destination Folder.
    I have the Import options set to place the imported files in separate subfolders by file's date using the YYYY-MM-dd file format. I have "automatically rotate images" and "delete items from source after import" checkboxes checked.

When I click the Import button, the following is the results:
    Source Folder: K:\2019-05-01
    <EMPTY> (as expected)

Destination Folder (Identical content as Source Folder): M:\2019-05-01
    pic1.jpg
    pic2.HEIC
    pic3.HEIC

At no time was I ASKED what should be done about duplicate files.

Now, just to be sure this isn't a Windows 10 thing, I closed ACDSee and copied the original files back to the source folder and deleted the copied JPG file from the destination folder so that, once again, the Source and Destination folders are identical. If I then go into a file manager window, copy all 3 files in the Source and attempt to paste them into the Destination folder, I am greeted with the Windows dialogue box asking if I want to overwrite/rename/skip the files which are identical.

Has anyone run into this before? Any thoughts on what else to try? This issue has existed for at least 5 years that I have been using this program and it's about to cause me to look for an alternative that deals with this situation appropriately.

​Thanks,
    Jeff

SliderJeff

The following recipe would suggest that when you try to import files that are exact duplicates of those already in the destination folder, the existing files are not overwritten but are actually skipped, but where the files are different but have the same name, the new imports are indeed renamed. No you are not asked, it appears that for the import from disk function, skip is the default (and only) action for exact duplicates regardless of the setting in Tools/Options/File Management.

For these tests the Tools/Options/File Management "Overwriting duplicate files" was set to "Ask", and the import settings were as follows

Click image for larger version  Name:	Settings.jpg Views:	6 Size:	220.4 KB ID:	60379

Place three JPG images in source folder
    IMG-01.jpg
    IMG-02.jpg
    IMG-03.jpg
    Record the time stamps for each image (Created, Modified, Accessed)

1/. Import into destination folder, (the above settings leave the originals in the source folder), so both now have
    IMG-01.jpg
    IMG-02.jpg
    IMG-03.jpg
    Again record time stamps for files in destination folder
    Note that as expected, the Created and Accessed time stamps in the destination folder are different to those in the source folder..

Allow a time lapse of a couple of minutes

2/. Now repeat step 1/.
    Note that the time stamps of the files in the destination folder have not changed
    This would indicate that the files have NOT been overwritten.

3/. Now in source folder, add a Yellow Label to all three images, then embed the metadata change in each image. The file names remain unchanged

Now in destination there is
    IMG-01.jpg
    IMG-01(2).jpg
    IMG-02.jpg
    IMG-02.(2)jpg
    IMG-03.jpg
    IMG-03(2).jpg

The new files though they had the same filenames, were not the same as the ones already in the destination folder, so they have been renamed

Tests done in Ultimate 2022 build 2922
    Last edited by Greyfox; 04-19-2022, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Greyfox,

Thank you for the reply. Interesting that this is the way it behaves, but at least I now know what to expect!

Semi-related follow-up.... is there a way to tell the Import process what TYPES of files I want to import? I'm finding that it's trying to import files other than just JPG or movies (PDFs, PPTS, etc..) and I'd like to have it NOT do that.

Regards,
      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by SliderJeff View Post
        Greyfox,

...is there a way to tell the Import process what TYPES of files I want to import? I
        In the Import Dialog set "View by" to "File Type". It will then show a list of the file types in the source directory, with the quantity of each. You can select or deselect individual file types to taste.

Click image for larger version

Name:	File Types.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	60422

Comment

Thanks again, Greyfox! Sorry, for the delay in replying.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X