Raw File view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw File view

I recently purchased ACD Ultimate 2022. When I view raw files manage, media, or view tabs the image is low resolution and pixelated. I have to view the image in develop tab before I can tell if it is in focus much less if the image is sharp. I think I read somewhere that ACD is using the thumbnail view to display these images. Is there a work around. I have lots of Raw images that I would like to review and rate and so forth but opening up each in develop mode is problematic.

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else. I did a search and could not readily find the solution. It seems my google searches were returning discussions from earlier releases of the software and did not seem to match up with the 2022 version of things.

Thanks for the help.

Splatt-

Originally posted by splattman View Post
    .. When I view raw files manage, media, or view tabs the image is low resolution and pixelated.
    The default is set in Tools\Options\General. Set RAW display to "RAW Decode"

In View mode you can then change between the RAW Decode and Embedded Preview using the toggle near the bottom of the image display.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	View- Raw Decode.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	60420
    There is some more specific information in the help file.
    Open the help file, select the hamburger menu at the top right (3 horizontal bars), then select View Mode, then select Working with Images in View Mode > Viewing RAW Images.

Comment

Awesome,

Thanks it now has a toggle at the bottom of the image to turn RAW decode on or off. I don't think that was there before I changed that setting. If it was then I definitely should have seen it. Thanks again for the easy to follow directions.

Comment

Whatever the option defined in the settings, its activation/deactivation appears well below the image on the right.
        As far as I'm concerned, I don't see any difference in the display no matter which option I choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Framon View Post
          .. I don't see any difference in the display no matter which option I choose.
          The "RAW decode/Embedded preview" toggle in view mode is only present for RAW images, and is replaced by a "Show Original" button when the RAW already has an xmp sidecar file

The differences between the RAW decode and Embedded preview can at times be fairly small.
          The embedded preview may be a bit sharper and sometimes a bit brighter because it has had a tone curve and sharpening applied in camera.

If you set the zoom in view mode to a high level, say around 500% you can often see pixelation in the low resolution embedded preview that is not present in the RAW decode view.

Another difference that can sometimes be quite pronounced is where the lens setting has resulted in significant geometric distortion. That distortion will have been corrected in camera for the embedded JPG preview, but has yet to be corrected in the RAW file. An example of that is show below

Click image for larger version

Name:	View example.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	727.6 KB
ID:	60480

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
            and is replaced by a "Show Original" button when the RAW already has an xmp sidecar file
            You are certainly right, Greyfox. Personally, I rarely use ACDSee Ultimate for RAW processing. I have another software that gives me more satisfaction.
            Thank you for your clear and precise explanations to which you have accustomed us.

Comment

Working...
            X