Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorting a lot of pictures (in numerous different folders) by date

Is there a possibility for this?

The pictures are all stored in different folders and I want to create like a timeline, what happened on a specific day taking into account all pictures.

There are many ways to do this, this is what Ultimate does best. Either use Media Mode or in Manage Mode query the images database in any way you want based on Keywords and Categories and sort the result by date/time taken or in Manage Mode select images based on specific dates (day, week, month, year). That said I get the feeling that you have no idea how to do what I just suggested otherwise you wouldn'd be asking the question, so I will also suggest that you first watch the many videos on the subject (Media/Photo Mode and Manage Mode) available at the ACDSee Community web site, and if you still have a specific question, we'd be happy to help, but there's too much to say to teach you all the fundamentals of the application's interface and how to use the app in a short forum answer (although Greyfox will undoubtedly manage to write a detailed procedural answer for you, he's very good).
    Last edited by Regor250; 04-26-2022, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
      There are many ways to do this, this is what Ultimate does best. Either use Media Mode or in Manage Mode query the images database in any way you want based on Keywords and Categories and sort the result by date/time taken or in Manage Mode select images based on specific dates (day, week, month, year). That said I get the feeling that you have no idea how to do what I just suggested otherwise you wouldn'd be asking the question, so I will also suggest that you first watch the many videos on the subject (Media/Photo Mode and Manage Mode) available at the ACDSee Community web site, and if you still have a specific question, we'd be happy to help, but there's too much to say to teach you all the fundamentals of the application's interface and how to use the app in a short forum answer (although Greyfox will undoubtedly manage to write a detailed procedural answer for you, he's very good).
      Thanks. I will do so.
      I appreciate the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Regor250 View Post
        ... Greyfox will undoubtedly manage to write a detailed procedural answer for you..
        Perhaps not in this case

As you have said, there are many ways to do this, but the most appropriate might depend on factors about the images we don't know.
        I personally would probably opt to use something like "Selective Browsing" in manage mode, with the folders scope limited to just the folders concerned, and the calendar scope limited to the specific day, and then set Sort to Date Taken.

But I think your advice to dipetar to first become familiar with ACDSee through the tutorial videos is the best way to go.

Comment

Hello,
          I just want to give an update on the matter.
          I have been working with the software for 2 days in a row now and I believe I am in now a bit familiar.

What I did?
          I cataloged the photos [took a very long time over 2 days period [breaks included], I had around 400k photos in many many maaaany folders] and then I used the manage mode as well as the calendar tab.
          The software crashed 2 times while cataloging as in those folders some other files were found that were not of a picture/video nature which made me think that caused the crash.
          The catalog folder in the users’ directory at the end was +~17GB. Yes, the calendar option is great, but I would love if after cataloging, there’s an option, a part of the software like – this happened on this day and then showing the pics/videos that actually “happened” that day over the years instead of going through the calendar.

Or maybe there is such an option but I am still not aware of it.

Also, I want to ask, can I export the catalog files and then import them on a different computer?
          Last edited by dipetar; 04-27-2022, 10:13 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

dipetar

You could use the search pane to set up a search for all images from a specific date, or between two dates ( and if necessary you can limit that search to specific folders)
            If you do need to limit the search to specific folders, then select the folders first, and set Search in to "Specific folders and categories", then click on "Sync to file list settings".

In search file properties you can then add a search key for the date.
            Choosing the right date to search for might be an issue though. You can choose from the date options in "File Properties", but Windows file dates (Created, Modified, Accessed) relate to the file itself, and not the actual date the image was taken.

You can choose Date/time original from the Exif metadata, and that is the one to use for still images, but videos don't use that. Scanned images generally have an Exif Date/time Digitized applied by the scanner, but unless you manually add a date/time original it will not be present.

If you choose to take the Date from "Exif\Image\Date/time original" you are offered the conditions "is before, is after, is in between". If you want to select a specific day, choose the "is in between", and set the "after" to the day before, and the "before" to the day after. You can then use Sort options in the display pane to order the search results.
            Last edited by Greyfox; 04-28-2022, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dipetar View Post

Also, I want to ask, can I export the catalog files and then import them on a different computer?
              Is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
                dipetar

You could use the search pane to set up a search for all images from a specific date, or between two dates ( and if necessary you can limit that search to specific folders)
                If you do need to limit the search to specific folders, then select the folders first, and set Search in to "Specific folders and categories", then click on "Sync to file list settings".

In search file properties you can then add a search key for the date.
                Choosing the right date to search for might be an issue though. You can choose from the date options in "File Properties", but Windows file dates (Created, Modified, Accessed) relate to the file itself, and not the actual date the image was taken.

You can choose Date/time original from the Exif metadata, and that is the one to use for still images, but videos don't use that. Scanned images generally have an Exif Date/time Digitized applied by the scanner, but unless you manually add a date/time original it will not be present.

If you choose to take the Date from "Exif\Image\Date/time original" you are offered the conditions "is before, is after, is in between". If you want to select a specific day, choose the "is in between", and set the "after" to the day before, and the "before" to the day after. You can then use Sort options in the display pane to order the search results.
                I will try this and report back. Thanks. 👌

Comment

Is this possible?
                  I guess it is, but I want to ask, can the exported database be imported into another computer?

Comment

In my opinion, exporting database then importing on another PC requires all picture directory structure to be strictly identical (at least)

Comment

I guess it is, but I want to ask, can the exported database be imported into another computer?
                      The short answer is that providing the two PC's have the same version of ACDSee installed then yes you could import the database from PC number 1 into PC number 2. But that answer doesn't address a number of possible significant issues including whether the imported database on PC number 2 would link to the images without rebinding, or how you might try to keep two databases in sync.

Is this a case of wanting to be able to work on images on a laptop when you are away from home, with the collection on a portable external drive, or a case of wanting to work from two PC's on a collection that is stored on a local network NAS, or something other variant ?.

There are lots of posts in the forum in relation to accessing an image collection from two PC's. ACDSee's database is NOT a multi-user database, so there are some issues no matter how you go about it.
                      Last edited by Greyfox; 04-28-2022, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brajaq View Post
                        In my opinion, exporting database then importing on another PC requires all picture directory structure to be strictly identical (at least)
                        It will be. Even the drive letter is the same and exactly the same folder structure.

Comment

Even the drive letter is the same and exactly the same folder structure.
                          ACDSee uses "Volume Serial Number" (not physical serial number or drive letter) to identify drives.

Comment

Every time I start the software, at the lower right bottom corner there is a thing "initializing queue" and an icon of a female person.
                            What does that mean and how can I stop it?
                            Thanks

Comment

Every time I start the software, at the lower right bottom corner there is a thing "initializing queue" and an icon of a female person.
                              What does that mean and how can I stop it?
                              Thanks
                              An excerpt from the help file

Detecting Faces in Manage Mode
                              ACDSee automatically adds file information and thumbnails to the database as you browse. This process is called cataloging. Once the folder you are browsing has been cataloged, ACDSee begins the process of detecting faces in your images. As you open other folders, ACDSee will continue scanning for faces in the first folder, and will queue subsequent folders as you open them. You can view the scanning progress in the bottom right corner of Manage mode. ACDSee will continue scanning until Face Detection is complete on the folders you browsed.

So what you are seeing is ACDSee beginning to process the face detection queue..
                              If you let ACDSee finish processing the queue, then you likely only see that particular message again if you give ACDSee a large batch of new images, and then it will likely only appear briefly. Initially though, if you have given ACDSee a huge collection and have automatic face detection turned on, then it will possibly take a very long time to process the queue. You can clear the queue via Tools\Face Detection\Clear Queue, but then ACDSee will not complete the task.

If you don't want to use Face detection then turn it off in Tools\Options\Face Detection.

The above is only an excerpt from the help file. If you are using Face Detection then I would recommend you read all of that section of the help file, also this post from Tristan H . https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main/...8010#post58010

There is also another situation where a percentage counter will appear in the same place, and that is when it is building a new size of thumbnails. That one will appear like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Progress.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.4 KB ID:	60527
                              Last edited by Greyfox; 05-01-2022, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X