No "Border" option under Batch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No "Border" option under Batch

I have created a border preset. I now wish to apply this to many photographs. Some help that Google found me (admittedly for Mac, while I have the Windows version) says

To Use the Batch Add Border Tool:
    • In Manage mode, select one or more images.
    • Click the Batch button and select Border...

Unfortunately I don't have Border under Batch. Is there some other way I can approach this to save me opening and editing each image individually?

Originally posted by Inge Jones View Post
    I have created a border preset. I now wish to apply this to many photographs. Some help that Google found me (admittedly for Mac, while I have the Windows version) says

To Use the Batch Add Border Tool:
    • In Manage mode, select one or more images.
    • Click the Batch button and select Border...

Unfortunately I don't have Border under Batch. Is there some other way I can approach this to save me opening and editing each image individually?
    There are already Actions for "Borders" in Ultimate 2022, so you can select one or more images in Manage mode, Open the Actions Menu and under the Add section select from "Black Border +", "Black Border ++", "White Border +" or "White Border ++". If those don't exactly do what you want, you can create your own border action in Edit mode and assign it to one of the existing action groups or add your own action group, and then use that from manage mode. There is also an Actions browser

Edit. If you wish, you can record a simple custom action in Edit mode that just applies a custom edit preset, which then effectively allows that edit preset to be used as an action from manage mode.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 05-01-2022, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Brilliant! That was a lot easier than I thought. Thanks!. I did have to record my own action as I required borders that were not the same width all round
      Last edited by Inge Jones; 05-02-2022, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I did have to record my own action as I required borders that were not the same width all round
        You can set the size of the borders individually in the Borders Filter in Edit Mode, see screen shot below,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Borders.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	60533

However it is perhaps worth noting that the Borders filter will produce different results for the same settings on images that have different aspect ratios.

This is an excerpt from an explanation I received from Product Support when I queried this late last year.

"The Borders filter calculates border size based on the image’s aspect ratio, even if you are setting the individual Top/Bottom/Left/Right sliders.
        The border size is chosen based on the image’s height, width, and aspect ratio. So two images with the same height but a different width will get borders of a different size for the same setting of the Size slider.

If you set the individual sliders, you are overriding the Size slider for that side of the image, but the border size is still governed by the image’s height, width, and aspect ratio as before. Each side’s size will be equivalent to setting the Size slider to that value. Therefore even if two images have the same height, the Top and Bottom sliders won’t produce the same size border because they are also dependent on the image’s width."

I did ask them to consider adding an option in the Border filter to be able to set borders to exact pixel sizes, and my understanding is that has been added to the feature request list.

Comment

Oh I didn't notice on the thumbnails, but I guess it will show up on the full size images as printed or displayed. My purpose for setting a custom border was so I could add captions at the bottom of the photos rather than imposed upon the actual scene. This is a bit of a dilemma, because if I go for exact pixels (Imbatch allows that) then for bigger photos that have been shrunk more, the border and text will display too small or too blurry in most popular slideshow and display tools which try to stretch or shrink the photo to fill the screen. And then the proportional treatment offered by ACDSee would actually work better. Hmm I wonder if the text will be proportional too... not tried that bit yet. I'd be aiming to use a batch process to get the caption from the already-present metadata "description"
          Last edited by Inge Jones; 05-03-2022, 12:17 AM.

Comment

... My purpose for setting a custom border was so I could add captions at the bottom of the photos..
            OK, that puts a different slant on it.

I use a black bar with white text for images that are to be shown on a TV, and a white bar with black text for images that are to be printed.
            In my view, for a consistent text size, all the images have to have the same pixel height.

Option 1.
            You perhaps should look at Batch Edit, see the screen shot below.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Batch Edit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.6 KB ID:	60541

That allows you to do the bar and the text (in the example it has used the ACDSee Caption, and also the ACSee Date/Time Original).
            But the bar is placed over the bottom of the image.

Option 2.
            This is a bit more complex, but places the bar below the image. It is done in two parts

Part 1. I have 2 recorded actions for each color bar, one for portrait images, one for landscape.

Both the portrait and the landscape action do the following:-

(a) Resizes the image to a specific pixel height (maintaining the original aspect ratio) using the Edit Resize filter.
            (b) Uses the Resize canvas tool to increase the height only of the canvas by 64 pixels, with the background color set to either black or white depending on whether it is for TV or for print. (Choose to have the aspect ratio NOT preserved as you are adding to the height of the canvas, but not its width).
            (c) use the Move tool's "up arrow" to position the image top at the top of the canvas, thus leaving the black or white bar at the bottom.
            (d) Export the image

To process.
            Select all the project's Landscape images in Manage Mode
            Run the "landscape" Add Bar action on all the landscape images

Select all the project's Portrait images in Manage Mode
            Run the "portrait" Add Bar action on all the portrait images.

Part 2.
            Select all the project's images in Manage mode
            Use the Batch Edit - Text overlay to place the text (taken from the metadata) but with no border selected
            Use the settings to position the text over the bottom bar.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Greyfox; 05-03-2022, 01:33 AM.

Comment

That's pretty much what I've done, after you helped me find how to add an action to use in batch edit mode! There seem to be a lot of outdated "tips" on the internet lol. My issue now is as per my later thread - getting the text to actually fit on the picture rather than just running off the edge!

Comment

That's pretty much what I've done, after you helped me find how to add an action to use in batch edit mode! There seem to be a lot of outdated "tips" on the internet lol. My issue now is as per my later thread - getting the text to actually fit on the picture rather than just running off the edge!
                My advice would be to use either the on line help accessed from within the program (Help - Help contents) or to download the pdf users guide for the version you are using. At least they will be relevant. Google searches will lead you down some very deep rabbit holes.

I've answered you other post.

Comment

Yeah I was resorting to search in Google as the help isn't always detailed enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X