Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i9-12900K-based Ultimate 2022 15.1 slower than the same build on a 5 year old I7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWH
    replied
    Does anyone know what exactly is happening when the IPTC Asset Table is being packed? That seems to be the critical path to a database optimization in my case. I'd like to know what that operation is so time consuming when the CPU, RAM and disk utilization are low CPU 4-10% peaks of 20%, RAM 31% Disk 5%. Any workflow or process automation that could significantly reduce processing time?

Leave a comment:

• AWH
    replied
    Out of interest, what media are you using to store your 2 million plus images?.
    A combination of devices, all local:
    • Two external WD 13 TB USB-3 drives
    • Internal 13 TB drive (7200 RPM)
    • 2 TB SSD (holds ACDSee index files)
    • 2TB NVMe Gen 4

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    Originally posted by AWH View Post
    I suppose the real question is what are the operational parameters of Ultimate? I recognize the possibility that I'm operating beyond the recommended size and scope of the software, but I can't find any published statement from the developers; how much is too much? Maybe I'm well within the operational limits?
    I haven't seen any maximum limits given for the ACDSee database either, but I suspect that performance may dictate the limit for most users, and that is going to vary with hardware.

Whether there are any absolute limits within the database structure though is perhaps a question best raised with support.

As for the I9, I was hoping that the combination of P and E cores (16 total) I would see CPU intensive tasks spread widely. Packing Memo fields seems particularly slow, yet CPU utilization pokes along at 6%, 28% RAM.
    To get the benefit of the multi-cores, the CPU tasks have to be able to be able to be spread across the cores.
    The first of the screen shots below shows the core utilization during packing of the memo fields in the Optimization process, and the second during packing thumbnail information. (These were from an i7-10700 CPU)

There is some additional activity from the screen recording process that I used to get the results, but it seems one core is taking the lions share of the load.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ScreenShot-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	256.4 KB ID:	60950

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot-02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.7 KB ID:	60951

I guess I would be delighted if Ultimate consumed resources in pursuit of speed, especially when Optimization is regular (daily) requirement. Are there fixes or tools that enable speed on resource available devices?
    Aside from Windows hacks, there are some utilities available that can force permanent high priority for specific applications, but that only prevents other applications that may be running at the same time from slowing down the elevated priority application as much. If there are no other applications running, it doesn't make the high priority application run faster.

And for the record, no NAS devices were harmed or utilized during this testing
    Out of interest, what media are you using to store your 2 million plus images?.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 06-21-2022, 01:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AWH
    replied
    I suppose the real question is what are the operational parameters of Ultimate? I recognize the possibility that I'm operating beyond the recommended size and scope of the software, but I can't find any published statement from the developers; how much is too much? Maybe I'm well within the operational limits?

As for the I9, I was hoping that the combination of P and E cores (16 total) I would see CPU intensive tasks spread widely. Packing Memo fields seems particularly slow, yet CPU utilization pokes along at 6%, 28% RAM. I guess I would be delighted if Ultimate consumed resources in pursuit of speed, especially when Optimization is regular (daily) requirement. Are there fixes or tools that enable speed on resource available devices?

And for the record, no NAS devices were harmed or utilized during this testing.

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    Originally posted by AWH View Post
    Sigh. A 12th Gen I9-12900K with 64TB RAM, and Ultimate crawls through database optimization and thumbnail creation.

Has anyone else any experience with the I9?
    In another thread you said your database has over 2 million photos, with over 6000 individual people recognized by face ID.
    I would not imagine there would be many users who have databases anywhere near this size..

The term "crawls" is also rather subjective (what to you may be crawling, might to others be quite acceptable or perhaps even quick), so I'm not really sure what you expect from this query.,

One would expect that a Gen 12 i9 should be faster than a Gen 10 i7, for example, but that would only be for CPU dependent operations. The overall performance might be limited by other things, like read\write rates and transfer rates, which are not dependent on the CPU.. .

The time taken to do thumbnail creation will depend on both the type and the size of the images, where they are located, where the database is located, whether the process is subject to antivirus checking, whether there is a NAS involved etc, and in regards to NAS storage, there have been posts regarding transfer rates being lower than expected.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 06-19-2022, 06:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brajaq
    replied
    64 TB Ram ? !

Leave a comment:

• i9-12900K-based Ultimate 2022 15.1 slower than the same build on a 5 year old I7?

Sigh. A 12th Gen I9-12900K with 64GB RAM, dedicated SSD drive for ACDSee indexes and Ultimate crawls through database optimization and thumbnail creation.

Has anyone else any experience with the I9?
    Last edited by AWH; 06-20-2022, 01:01 AM.
Working...
X