Any way to create a photo shape ellipse and blur the edges for effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to create a photo shape ellipse and blur the edges for effect

Trying to put together a selection of peoples photos to print and I would like to have them elliptical in shape and have that blurred effect at the edges.
    Is it possible on ACDsee Ultimate ?

Originally posted by granddadscott View Post
    Trying to put together a selection of peoples photos to print and I would like to have them elliptical in shape and have that blurred effect at the edges.
    If you mean like this, where the image fades to white then yes it can be quite easily done in Edit Mode.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Image-02.jpg Views:	7 Size:	945.3 KB ID:	61278

1. Open image in Edit mode
    2. Use Elliptical Selection tool to make an elliptical selection
    3. Use Select\Inverse to invert the selection
    4. Select flood Fill tool. Set Color to white, Opacity to100, Threshold to 255, Feathering to 40%
    5. Flood fill the selected area
    6. Select\Deselect
    7. Crop to choice.
    8. Export
    Last edited by Greyfox; 08-01-2022, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Or if you mean like this, where the image fades into transparency, again yes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image-03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	61280
      Then the steps are

1. Open image in Edit mode
      2. Add a mask to the layer (use the add mask icon below the Adjustment Layer icons)
      3. In the layer, select the mask (it will be all white at this stage)
      4. Select the Gradient Tool, select Radial Gradient, Opacity 100, Feathering 22.
      5. Drag out the radial gradient. Size and position to taste
      6. When satisfied with the result click on Commit.
      7. Export using a format that supports transparency. Tiff (auto), PNG (Auto) for example (both of these will give 32 bit color depth.

Note the thumbnails in manage mode do not show transparency with the checker board background. The transparency in TIFF's will show as black, and the transparency in PNG's will show in the color set in Tools\Plug-in settings. In the plug in settings dialog, select the standard decode library IDE_ACDStd.api and click on properties. Near the bottom of that dialog you can select the background color that will apply to PNG's that have an alpha channel.

Comment

Greyfox's explanations are very precise as usual and show how well he masters Ultimate. Thanks to him.
        Maybe another solution: use the borders by playing on the blur.

Comment

Originally posted by Framon View Post
          ..Maybe another solution: use the borders by playing on the blur.
          Yes, that is a simple way of getting a rectangular fade to white (or another selectable color), as shown below for comparison, but it doesn't provide the means for a elliptical effect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image-04.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	61289

Comment

Your technique is more appropriate but with some polygonal borders with maximum blur can still achieve a fairly decent effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Framon View Post
              Your technique is more appropriate but with some polygonal borders with maximum blur can still achieve a fairly decent effect.
              Thank you, I hadn't though of using one of the irregular edge types.

For comparison, this uses Irregular edge format number 92.
              Border size set to 11, with top and bottom set to 4, and right and left set to 6
              Edge blur set to 47

Click image for larger version  Name:	Image-05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	61293

Comment

Thanks to you too.
                Hopefully this information will help granddadscott!

Comment

Just FYI, it's even easier in Develop Mode using Post-Crop Vignette.

Comment

Originally posted by LV_Bill View Post
                    Just FYI, it's even easier in Develop Mode using Post-Crop Vignette
                    Yes, yet another way

Leading on from that, the Vignette tool in the Edit Mode of Ultimate has far more control than its Development mode counterpart, particularly when it comes to achieving both vertical and horizontal elliptical shape vignettes so it too provides a solution.

Comment

Yes! Thanks LV_Bill, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Comment

Thank you gents, managed to achieve what I required, but its brought up another problem.
                        I would like to have the background a circle so I can place them on a background of my choosing without having white sections.
                        hope you understand.

Comment

Thank you gents, managed to achieve what I required, but its brought up another problem.
                          I would like to have the background a circle so I can place them on a background of my choosing without having white sections.
                          hope you understand.
                          If not like post #3, then perhaps more explanation is needed. Note the need to use a format that supports transparency.

Comment

Working...
                          X