Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laggy problem and freeze ups in Develop mode

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Laggy problem and freeze ups in Develop mode

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DxDiag Doane Hoag PC.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	61327 Not sure if its my computer capability or ACDsee. I'm not running any other major programs as I work. I'm shooting in RAW and stacking about 20-30 files and saving them as a PSD file. The stack function is excellent, better than my old PS CS5, BTW. They end up around 1.2MB 4592x3448 48bit. In ACDsee I am in develp mode where I correct the lens distortion straighten and crop. I then go to Tune and adjust the light. Next, is where I get lagg problems, quite bad and even lockups occasionally... I'm using the blend and regular clone to clean lines up in the background and the changes are extremely slow, worse, when I try to zoom in and out I get really really slow response and sometimes everything freezes and I have to use a hard close using device manager
    Attached Files

  • #2
    PS, my operating system is on a M.2 SSD NVME drive and the files are kept on another M.2 drive and they both have plenty of room left. Also, I have no problems working with these in Photoshop CS5

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by doane View Post
      ...They end up around 1.2MB 4592x3448 48bit.
      A 4592px x 3448px 48 bit color image should be around 90.6 MB in uncompressed size, not 1.2MB as you have posted, so that is a bit confusing.
      A 90.6 MB RAW uncompressed image brings the memory usage in Develop mode, with the repair tab selected to around 1,000-1,500MB.

      Using the clone tool (or blended clone tool) isn't an issue here (i7-10700 CPU, 32GB RAM, GTX1660 6GB graphics card), but on large images, combining that with a lot of large changes in zoom sometimes does result in a jumpy action. My guess is that it is at least in part due to the sheer amount of real time redrawing that is occurring. It is also perhaps worth noting that the undo and redo functions are active for each individual clone action. I'm not sure whether turning off the undo/redo buttons (Tools\Options\Develop Mode\Enable Develop tools pane undo and redo buttons) makes any difference.

      If you can produce a video showing what is happening, it might be worth sending that, along with the image used, to support.

      Comment


      • #4
        I just processed a bunch of RAW images in ADCsee into stacked ones from about 20-30 shots each bunch. I then saved as PSD files and I rechecked the size on both in ACDsee.. The RAW images from the camera are 4592x3448 48bit and are 19,100-19,318KB shown on the thumbnail info and down on the bottom line it shows them as 18.7-18.9MB... don't know why its different.
        The resulting stacked PSD from the ACDsee opperation shows as 4592x3448 on the thumb with a size of 123,726KB and on the bottom line it shows as 120.8MB. When I open that file in PS it shows it as 90.6MB 48bit

        Comment


        • #5
          Should I reduce the size of the stacked PSD to around 3000x__ to create less strain on the next operation in the develop mode of ACDsee? My 4k computer monitor is 3840x2160. The 48bit is really useful for the dynamic range, levels, and light adjustments later so I don't want to reduce that to 24. I really like that blended clone tool in ACDsee. I've had better luck in PS removing intricate backgrounds using the selection too and then the background eraser tool. Haven't discovered a good way to do that in ACDsee.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by doane View Post
            I just processed a bunch of RAW images in ADCsee into stacked ones from about 20-30 shots each bunch. I then saved as PSD files and I rechecked the size on both in ACDsee.. The RAW images from the camera are 4592x3448 48bit and are 19,100-19,318KB shown on the thumbnail info and down on the bottom line it shows them as 18.7-18.9MB... don't know why its different.
            The resulting stacked PSD from the ACDsee opperation shows as 4592x3448 on the thumb with a size of 123,726KB and on the bottom line it shows as 120.8MB. When I open that file in PS it shows it as 90.6MB 48bit
            The size in KB on the thumbnail is the File Properties: Size (KB) from the "Choose Thumbnail Display Information" dialog, and 19,100KB = 19.1MB
            .
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbnail Information.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	61373

            The uncompressed size shown in the Properties pane\File tab, is the size the image will be in memory in its uncompressed form.

            The in memory size can be calculated from the pixel size using Pixel Width x Pixel Height x Bit Depth/8 = Size in bytes
            The file size will depend on how much compression is used, and how much overhead there is in the file format, but as a further complication the Windows allocation system will mostly mean the on disk size of the file is a bit larger than the actual file size.

            For most editing purposes, the important size is the uncompressed size.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by doane View Post
              Should I reduce the size of the stacked PSD to around 3000x__ to create less strain on the next operation in the develop mode of ACDsee? My 4k computer monitor is 3840x2160. The 48bit is really useful for the dynamic range, levels, and light adjustments later so I don't want to reduce that to 24. I really like that blended clone tool in ACDsee. I've had better luck in PS removing intricate backgrounds using the selection too and then the background eraser tool. Haven't discovered a good way to do that in ACDsee.
              The number of visible pixels being redrawn when you pan or zoom will be considerably higher on your 3840 x 2160 monitor than it is on my 1920 x 1080 monitor so I think that will have an effect.

              When cloning or blended cloning is pushed hard here, there is reasonable GPU use (showing up to 20% during actual cloning), so perhaps having a relatively decent graphics card helps, but CPU usage does continue past when the GPU usage has dropped back to zero, so it isn't all dependent on GPU capability. At zoom levels greater than "zoom to fit", I don';t know whether ACDSee only redraws the visible screen area, or whether it is updating the whole image in memory.

              You might try reducing the screen resolution and see whether that helps, other that that my only suggestion is to clone slowly.

              ACDSee's selection tools, particularly since the advent of pixel targeting, work reasonably well for removing (masking out) backgrounds where there are clearly defined edges, For difficult less well defined tasks (for example people with fly away hair, furry animals, leafy trees), I use Topaz Mask AI as a plugin. I also have Affinity Photo as an External editor.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the very clear explanations. I sometimes wish I hadn't bought this 4k monitor, there isn't that much advantage to it and it causes problems with some older programs like PS CS5 displaying the text and menus large enough, finally got it fixed by going into the exe file properties and making some changes. I'll play around with the resolution.. it seems to have less lagg in edit mode than in develop mode.
                I'm doing a lot of close up shots of miniatures I make in 1:87 scale. I shoot against a white background and then, after saving the stack from ACDsee and doing some develop processing I take them into PS and remove the background as I mentioned... The best way I have found for this situation is to do a magic wand or quick selection tool selection of the background and then go back with the background eraser and get all the areas on the edges and inside of the tree leaves, etc. I tried out the Topaz Mask AI and it wasn't able to handle the images I have, it masked only partially successfully. I do use their DeNoise AI as a plug in in PS and it's one of the best programs I have found for noise reduction, just amazing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  My graphics card is:
                  Display Devices
                  ---------------
                  Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
                  Manufacturer: NVIDIA
                  Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
                  DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by doane View Post
                    My graphics card is:
                    Display Devices
                    ---------------
                    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
                    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
                    Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
                    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
                    I'm using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC edition graphic card in my desktop, linked to two Acer 1920 x 1080 monitors.. I'm quite happy with the that graphics card performance, but then I'm not a ":gamer". As you are probably aware, there are two versions of Nvidia drivers available, "Game Ready" and "Studio". I use the "Studio" version. (Current version is 516.93)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

                      I'm using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC edition graphic card in my desktop, linked to two Acer 1920 x 1080 monitors.. I'm quite happy with the that graphics card performance, but then I'm not a ":gamer". As you are probably aware, there are two versions of Nvidia drivers available, "Game Ready" and "Studio". I use the "Studio" version. (Current version is 516.93)
                      And you've had no Develop lagg problems while zooming in and out and using the blended clone like I'm having? I wasn't aware there are different drivers; I looked and my driver is 30.0.15.1215 ??

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

                        I'm using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC edition graphic card in my desktop, linked to two Acer 1920 x 1080 monitors.. I'm quite happy with the that graphics card performance, but then I'm not a ":gamer". As you are probably aware, there are two versions of Nvidia drivers available, "Game Ready" and "Studio". I use the "Studio" version. (Current version is 516.93)
                        I found the studio version, 516.94 dl's and installed it. It didn't seem to make any difference, if anything, it's worse. I did find that in edit mode there is a lot less, hardly any lagg, so Im just going to use that. I really appreciate all your help on this. I wonder if maybe your processor is faster, or maybe it's just that you are running the smaller screen res?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by doane View Post
                          I wonder if maybe your processor is faster, or maybe it's just that you are running the smaller screen res?
                          My PC has a Gigabyte H470M DS3H main board with two on board M.2 SSD NVME drives, a 1 GB and a 2GB. 32GB RAM. Windows 10 Pro 21H2, currently Build 19044.1826. My CPU is an Intel 8 core i7-10700 CPU.

                          For what it is worth, here is a link to a comparison between the i7-10700 and your newer 6 core i5-11600. https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compar..._core_i5_11600.

                          Picking up on one of your earlier comments - it is not that I experience no lag using blended cloning in Develop mode, particularly with zooming in and out, If I push it hard enough I do, but for the most part it isn't at a level that makes using it difficult.

                          Your comment about less lag when using the clone and blended clone in Edit mode is interesting. Develop mode is non destructive, the filter tools in Edit are not. I wonder if that makes a difference.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X