BUG! Ultimate 2023 Lens Correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

You are looking at the Lens correction panel in Edit mode. It doesn't have the Map Default and Manage Default buttons.

Those buttons are in the Lens Correction panel in Develop mode, accessed from the Geometry Tab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lens correction.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	62097
    Thanks for the clarification.

The Mapping sticks for the Dev mode but does not carry to the Edit mode.
    In my case I shoot Sony a7R4. The new Tamron and Sony lenses I use all have in-camera corrections for the jpg files.
    When Editing the jpg files I can get away with no ACDSee lens corrections.
    When Developing RAW files I can automatically apply the ACDSee lens corrections by using the Map Default to properly match lens to profile and enabling Auto-apply.

Comment

Originally posted by TomV View Post
      The Mapping sticks for the Dev mode but does not carry to the Edit mode.
      Correct. Whilst the Exif lens information is present in ex camera JPG's, lens distortion correction has normally already been applied in camera, so you don't want it applied again in the post processing. The exception might be where a lens has been used that doesn't communicate with the camera and in that case it becomes a manual task. There is no provision in Edit mode to have lens correction automatically applied, though you can still manually select the applicable LensFun correction data (if it is available).

With Raw files, lens distortion correction is not applied in camera, so Develop mode can be set to automatically apply it (where the information is present).
      Last edited by Greyfox; 09-28-2022, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the very useful info guys much appreciated. I'm really not ungrateful but must we really have to do a workaround with a new software?. If a new software is released and new bugs/problems arise that's ok and understandable but to keep releasing software with known issues not addressed?? If Acdsee want to part us from our hard earned they must realise there is a lot of very good competition out there even the freebies are snapping at the feet of the paid for apps. I understand that to throw resources at things like Lens correction is maybe not as sexy as the latest AI feature. I was all set to buy this year's Ultimate 2023 but now not so sure!
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by mcosgrove View Post
          Hello,

As a workaround, please take a look at the Map Default button to map the current EXIF settings to a specific lens profile and then have the auto-apply option checked, do this once for each lens you own and you shouldn’t have an issue with the auto-detection anymore.
          Thanks, Mark - doing this has worked for me. Unfortunately, two of my older lenses are not supported, but I don't use them very much.

Comment

For your 2 older lenses, simply find a close match (which lenses are they?). Use an image with many horizontal and vertical straight lines to see the result of correction. LensFun correction data is, how can I say... neither very sophisticated nor particularly accurate I found out, unlike embedded Maker correction data or DxO Lab calibration level data accuracy. A close enough correction profile will do just fine. When I created some of my own profiles, the tools algorithms used to calculate distortion correction data were unable to deal with a simple 2-4% barrel distortion so I wouldn't worry too much about accuracy.

Comment

30mm macro lens and 50-200mm ED - both Olympus. Not too worried at this stage, as I have newer lenses that I use instead. It would only be for archive images.

Comment

The 30mm macro is in the LensFun database; however, the version provided by ACDSee lacks Distortion correction data (even if zero) and only provides TCA and Vignette correction and ACDSee fails to load it because of that. In the file I provided above I made the correction and added zero value distortion correction, which enable the profile to be available in ACDSee. Using my version of the LensFun XML file has the advantage of working equally in both Develop and Edit modes. That's what I mean when I say the LensFun database is full of "bugs"; or in this particular case though it's ACDSee that fails to properly handle the exception of omitted Distortion correction data! To my knowledge there is no rule in LensFun "standard" that says Distortion data, even if zero value, must be present.
                Last edited by Regor250; 10-02-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I followed the advice on the ACDSee Forum and did a Map Default. My Sony 100-400 was picked up as the Sigma 100-400 C which was first in the list. My latest Tamrons (17-28, 28-200) worked fine as well as Rokinon 24mm 1.8. My other Sonys worked as well.

I was also able to setup my A mount lenses via LA-EA5 to the E mount a7R4. Set up camera to be a99ii (A mount) and then the A mount lenses are shown. The exif files listed the lenses properly so I could map accordingly.

The only lenses not Mappable were my fully manual models that do not have contacts.

Comment

The lens correction mapping works well in Develop Mode as a work around failing to recognize the lens model, but not an option in Edit mode (technically Develop and Edit are separate applications). The other issue I have is that Lensfun data may provide one of 3 corrections: Distortion, Vignette and TCA (chromatic aberrations), but not necessarily all 3 (vignette correction is seldom provided for one) and ACDSee does not tell you which is/are available or not. Finally TCA is applied globally as the data does not support any otherwise, hence you may be correcting the edges, and at the same time creating CA elsewhere. Then ACDSee fails to read and apply some existing profiles if the data contains no distortion data or more than one language definition for model. In other words it is rather primitive, hence why I have been asking for better lens correction functionality.

Comment

Working...
                    X