Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Get ORF and RAW Files into the Same Folder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Get ORF and RAW Files into the Same Folder?

I shoot with both Olympus OMD and Canon cameras and use ACDSee 15 in a Windows 7 computer. ACDSee always puts the ORF files and RAW files in different sub-folders. When I'm using both types of camera on the same project, I need to get the files into the same folder so that I can sequence them by time and rename them with sequential numbers before processing them into jpegs. Is there any way to do this?

Why don't you rename the files on import using date and time YYYYddMM_hhMMss_originalfilename?

Comment

I guess I don't understand why you don't specify the specific folder you want on import, I have several folders that have both Canon and Olympus files in them. I just alter the import recieving location.

Comment

I've never imported files directly into ACDSee. I've always imported them in Windows Explorer, then gone to ACDSee, which I basically use as a sorting and renaming system. I do RAW conversions in Capture One. I don't know how to do what you suggest.

Just found your blog the other day, Glen. Very interesting reading. You are the first proficient photographer I've come across who uses ACDSee for, apparently, almost everything.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Dave, though I hardly consider myself proficient. I am, at best, an OK photographer who is 'sorta' good with words. I believe there are LOTS really good photographers out there using ACDSee. What ACDSee needs is a method to drag them out into the sunlight! A contest maybe? A giveaway? I don't know, something to encourage them to share their workflow with the world.

EDIT: I think a contest for the best video tutorial might be interesting!

I like CaptureOne quite a bit; if ACDSee ever stops working so well for me, I would probably give C1 a go. But I like the results I get with ACDSee U9. I can't imagine giving up the Light EQ tool, or Pixel Targeting.

As to how to go about it, I'm using ACDSee Ultimate 9, but regular old ACDSee 15 should be similar. At the upper left, under the file menu is the import option. Select it. (The Device option is for importing directly from your camera, if you like to insert your media card into a reader, that is considered a Disk)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-03_12-49-05.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	37775
          Last edited by Glen Barrington; 08-04-2016, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks to all who offered help, and especially, to Glen. I discovered that my problem was that I had set the program to group by file type! Once I had changed Group to "None," the rest was easy.

Comment

Also ensure that your raw files do not share their base names. E.G. DSC_0001.ORF and DSC_0001.CR2 will both share the same xmp file wish is DSC_0001.XMP.

Comment

Several months late but... I would like to share with you my "workflow". I use windows explorer to import the files from the SD card and after, I use Winrar to compress each raw file in an individual zip/rar file. I save space and prepare my couple of JPG/compressed RAW to be managed with ACDSee.

Why I'm doing this? Well, when I go into a folder with this files, ACDSee build the thumbnails of my JPGs but the RAW file are managed like folders and show the thumbnail smaller and in a corner. If you sort by filename you will get the jpg thumbnail and a "folder" with the small thumbnail.

I can choose to open the jpg or "go inside" the folder/zip/rar file and works directly with the raw. I mean. visualize in a full screen mode, develop, edit with external software.

I'm not sure if make sense for you, I'm working like this from several years ago and I'm very happy. Just try it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	18-9-2016 9.9.32 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	38189
                Last edited by rajesh; 09-17-2016, 11:34 PM. Reason: Screen capture added

Comment

Everything make sense, if it works for somebody. That's why I don't like Lightroom, because Adobe wants to force me into their way of thinking

Your systems has it's advantages. At the moment I'm doing a lot of HDR and panorama images, which means there are a few RAWs but only one JPG. Maybe I use your system for those images to bundle the RAWs, since ACDSee can't do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SCX View Post
                    Everything make sense, if it works for somebody. That's why I don't like Lightroom, because Adobe wants to force me into their way of thinking

Your systems has it's advantages. At the moment I'm doing a lot of HDR and panorama images, which means there are a few RAWs but only one JPG. Maybe I use your system for those images to bundle the RAWs, since ACDSee can't do it for me.
                    Sure!! Adobe is like Apple... a religion. I added a screen capture to show what I mean

Other advantage from my way is that you can see faster the jpgs and don't wait to charge the raw becaus is like a folder and the visor jumps this files.

Comment

I have stored my panorama- and HDR-shots into ZIP-folders and it is really helpful. I had rows of images which were basically just pieces of one bigger image. Image stacks like Adobe offers them in their programs would be very helpful here, but until ACDSee offers this tool too, I will go with your method. Now I have a TIF file, which was created by my panorama- or HDR-software and next to it the ZIP folder.
                      Thanks a lot for the tip

Comment

Working...
                      X