Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACDSee 2019 can't see its own embedded metadata after file move or folder rename

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee 2019 can't see its own embedded metadata after file move or folder rename

I spent the better part of the day today adding categories and keywords to my image files. I made sure to embed all of the metadata using the tool in ACDSee, and then I visually checked several files and confirmed that it had, in fact, been embedded. Then I moved the subfolders from the temporary folder to a permanent folder (using Windows Explorer). Suddenly, ACDSee can no longer see any of the metadata, including a few sidecar files, even though I can visually see that the metadata is still embedded in the image files. and the sidecar files are still in the folders with their respective image files.

At first, I thought the metadata had been deleted when I moved the files. It's actually still there, but now ACDSee can no longer see it. I've tried refreshing the file/folder view in the Manage tab as well as closing and reopening ACDSee, all to no avail. This is extremely frustrating, as being able to use the metadata as search criteria for my files is the only reason I bought ACDSee.

What gives?

UPDATE: I tried moving the files back to the temporary folder, and suddenly, ACDSee can see the metadata again! I tried moving a subfolder from within ACDSee, and it was still able to see them. However, moving folders from within ACDSee is far too cumbersome, especially since they have to be moved one at a time. There HAS to be a better way!

Comment

Hi GraceJ,

When you move files or folders outside of ACDSee, ACDSee's database must treat them as totally new files. There is no practical way for ACDSee to recognize that files or folders have been moved from another application. This also means that the database will still contain records for the files at their previous location ("orphaned" files). This can add unnecessary complications to database lookups such as searching and Photos mode. For these reasons, we always recommend that you move files within ACDSee.

If you do move files outside of ACDSee, try using "Tools > Database > Catalog Files" on the new folder. The Manage mode browse process deliberately does not check the files for embedded categories, keywords, and certain other metadata, to avoid polluting your database with database information you might not have wanted. However, Catalog Files has a "Import ACDSee organizing information" that will import this metadata.

Thanks,
      Tristan H.
      ACD Systems

Comment

For what it is worth, when using ACD as a DAM (Digitial Asset Management), it is important to dedicate yourself to using ACD to move the files that you are managing.

In case it helps, after selecting multiple files or multiple folders (or both), you can drag/drop or cut/paste into different folders with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan H View Post
          The Manage mode browse process deliberately does not check the files for embedded categories, keywords, and certain other metadata, to avoid polluting your database with database information you might not have wanted.
          I can't follow, since implementation of IPTC data in AC the db gets "polluted" with that data anyway in manage mode.

Comment

Working...
          X