Acdsee 2020 - TIFF display issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acdsee 2020 - TIFF display issues

so i tested acdsee again (against better knowledge).
    and it still has obvious bugs.

the worst bug is that it can not display some TIFF files.
    and yes this is an acdsee issue as ALL other software i use has no issues with these files.

the files are saved from adobe photoshop x - 2020 over the years as 8 bit tif with ZIP compression.
    95-98% of the files are working fine but 2-5% are not displayed as thumbnail and only partial diplayed in the image viewer.

well... the files are either partially displayed (see screenshot) or acdsee is showing me the FIRST image in the folder instead, and not the file i doubleclicked.

again this is an acdsee issue as all other software has NO issue with these files (lightroom, photoshop, irfan view, xnview, bridge, all programs where you can load tif files).

this issue is also not new, acdsee 2019 had the same issues when i tested it.

things i have done:

re-installing acdsee
    deleting the catalog and creating a new one.
    moving the files into a different folder with acdsee.
    moving the files into a different folder and renaming with windows explorer.
    loading the files into photoshop and re-save.
    loading the files into photoshop duplicating them and saving under a new filename.

what seems to work is when i export the images from lightroom again as 8 bit tiff with ZIP compression.
    but this also does not always work. it works with around 80% of the files but 2 out of ten show the same behavior after exporting from lightroom.

another strange thing.
    i have the files of course on severall backups drives. the exact same files are displayed fine from the backup drives.
    but when i copy (overwriting the originals) the files over to my work SSD with the windows explorer, they are still not displayed.
    when i delete the files with acdsee on my work SSD and then copy the files within acdsee from the backup to my work SSD, they are displayed fine.

now someone may say.... my drive is the issue (it is not).
    OTHER files on the backup drives, that are fine on my work drive, are not displayed.
    also i have this issue at least since i tested acdsee 2019. i used a different drive then. a different windows installation. a whole different system.

i work with computer since amiga days. i know how to test for buggy systems.
    i have done betatesting for commodo, microsoft, adobe and several games over the years.

i am willing to do further testing but i am not following noob advices like re-install windows etc.

i am using the latest windows 10 64bit version 1909. 64 gb ram. catalog is on a 4GB ssd.
    i had the same issue with earlier windows versions so no need to blame it on windows.

I normally do 16-bit TIFs with LZW, But, for a quick test. I created qty:100; 8-bit TIFs using ZIP compression to mimic the settings in your email.

Factoids
    * I no longer have a copy of photoshop, so I used a different program (non-ACD) to create the TIF files described
    * I no longer have older versions of Ultimate installed, so I can only test using Ult2020
    * Our OS is the same. My RAM is smaller
    * I tried with the files on either local NVMe drive, on my 1TB SSD USB, or on an old 4G thumbdrive that I haven't used in over a year.

I can't seem to be able to repeat the problem you are experiencing. Everything works as expected with Ult2020

Is there anything you would like me to try to help the troubleshooting process?

Also, you wrote the catalog is on a 4G SSD. Do I have that correct?
    At 4GB, is this a USB stick?
    Do you have the ACD catalog/database on this 4G storage?

If that is correct, this is one point where my system and yours are different. FWIW, Instinctively, I would not typically run a database over a USB drive as the USB subsystem is just not built for that kind of thing.

Comment

i doubt that you can reproduce the issue that fast with creating a few TIF files.

i did some counting and i had the numbers a bit high.
      maybe 1-2% of the images show this behavior. not 2-5% as i mentioned earlier.

so from 100 images 1-2 in a folder can´t be displayed.
      this is, i am pretty sure not an issue with the files. it is an issue with the acdsee database i guess.
      because as i said the identical files (i binary compared them they are bit for bit identical) on the backup drives are displayed correctly.
      but other files on the backup drives are not displayed. it is all very random.

one thing i noticed is that when i changed the filename from underscore _ to a minus - some of the files are dispalyed correctly.
      but not all.

i normaly have my files numbered like this "Paris 08-2019_0001.TIF".

when i renamed the files IN acdsee nothing changed.
      when i copied the files over from the backup drive, overwriting the files on my work drive, nothing changed.
      but when i deleted the files in acdsee, copied them over from the backup drive and renamed them (Paris 08-2019-0001.TIF) they could be displayed.

but as i said that worked for many files but not all.

sorry it is of course a 4TB SSD drive not 4GB.

Last edited by Tanja Schulte; 12-06-2019, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I create 100 TIF files, so even at 1-2% maybe I should have seen something.

I looked back at your post and did notice that files were moved using Windows explorer.
        I do know with move/copy/rename files using the OS (or other tool) on folders/files you are trying to manage with the ACD app will cause binding/file_link issues. In some ways, this sounds a little bit like what maybe happening.

It is also worth noting, most DAMs seem a bit fussy about this kind of thing. After a bit of contemplation, this makes sense as the ACD app (or other apps) doesn't have any insight into what other apps are doing to files. To this end, I am VERY careful to move or delete or rename files in ACD monitored directories by ONLY using ACD. This way ACD knows what to do with the records in the database entries that link to the filenames of the actual file.

I do add files to monitored directories at will. ACD seems fine with absorbing information into the database.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
          I create 100 TIF files, so even at 1-2% maybe I should have seen something.

I looked back at your post and did notice that files were moved using Windows explorer.
          I do know with move/copy/rename files using the OS (or other tool) on folders/files you are trying to manage with the ACD app will cause binding/file_link issues. In some ways, this sounds a little bit like what maybe happening.

It is also worth noting, most DAMs seem a bit fussy about this kind of thing. After a bit of contemplation, this makes sense as the ACD app (or other apps) doesn't have any insight into what other apps are doing to files. To this end, I am VERY careful to move or delete or rename files in ACD monitored directories by ONLY using ACD. This way ACD knows what to do with the records in the database entries that link to the filenames of the actual file.
          i moved files with windowsn explorer because they are not in the acdsee database.
          i don´t have my backup files in the database.

also i moved the files AFTER the issue appeared.

all i did was overwriting the files acdsee coudl not view with the identical version from a backup drive.

Comment

I have the exact issue. I am doing a trial of ACDSee Home 2020 and about 3% of my tiff images are not displaying in manage mode, just the tiff icon. But in view they display fine. Any resolution to this bug. Note, this tiffs display fine in any other software. If this cannot be fixed, this is a deal breaker for me.

Comment

Hi Hanta and Tanja,

Please select those tiff files without the thumbnails and then click Tools | Metadata | Rebuild the thumbnails and metadata to let ACDSee rebuild the thumbnails. If that does not help, please check if those tiff images might be quarantined. Click Tools | Database |Quarantined files and remove them from the list if they are there.

In addition, can you please send us a couple of such tiff files? We can then duplicate them multiple times to have a folder with a few hundred such tiff files to see if we will be able to reproduce the problem you observed. Please send the tiff samples as attachments via the support contact form at https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/form/

Thanks

James
              ACD Customer Care Team

Comment

I've seen issues with mulitple layer TIFF files. James has pointed me to Batch > Convert tool to get multi layer TIFFs into a single layer.

Comment

Originally posted by James W- View Post
                  Hi Hanta and Tanja,

Please select those tiff files without the thumbnails and then click Tools | Metadata | Rebuild the thumbnails and metadata to let ACDSee rebuild the thumbnails. If that does not help, please check if those tiff images might be quarantined. Click Tools | Database |Quarantined files and remove them from the list if they are there.

In addition, can you please send us a couple of such tiff files? We can then duplicate them multiple times to have a folder with a few hundred such tiff files to see if we will be able to reproduce the problem you observed. Please send the tiff samples as attachments via the support contact form at https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/form/

Thanks

James
                  ACD Customer Care Team

OK, so James I would like to know why, after communication with you via ACD helpdesk since early December and even as recently as Friday of this week, providing you with problems associated with Tiff files that this sort of information has not been provided to me.

I did check "Click Tools | Database |Quarantined files and remove them from the list if they are there." and guess what several of my SNY....tiff files are there.

I removed them from quarantine and then clicked on rebuild thumbnails & metadata and I have usable Tiff files.

Unreal, the lack of customer service shown by your company is unbelievable. As I said via email to you I am one very frustrated customer.

Last edited by Kevin Prideaux; 03-07-2020, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Sorry the idea to check the quarantine files never occurred to me this time.

I reviewed the previous support ticket you sent to us in Dec and found that converted tiff issue was addressed at that time by program upgrade, so we still focused on trying to see if we can reproduce the problem and find the possible cause of such problem.

I received 4 JPG files from your response in that support ticket but no tiff file (the tiff file might be too big to be attached to the email). I am glad to know that removing that tiff file from quarantine did fix the issue, however we would still prefer to receive that tiff file that somehow would end up in that list. I have just sent you the instruction in that support ticket to provide us with that tiff file for further investigation.

Regards
                    James
                    ACD Customer Care

Comment

Working...
                    X