Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems Importing Photos After Switch to iPhone 11 Pro Max

Hello,
    We have been using ACDSee for years to organize our photos, previously captured with iPhone 6's. In February we replaced them with iPhone 11 Pro Max and I'm noticing two issues. 1 - the pictures are in HEIC format now and show up fine in Windows Explorer but not in ACDSee (all I see is a generic photo icon), and 2 - video preview doesn't work anymore in ACDSee. You can hear audio but not see video. From Windows Explorer, I can run videos using Windows' built-in tool.

Has anyone else run across this? Any suggestions? We are on ACDSee Suite Standard 2018. No updates appear when I click "Check for Updates". Thanks in advance for any help!

Are you having problems with ACDSee on your iPhone, or are you having a problem with ACDSee on your Windows or Apple computer?

Apple changed their picture format from JPEG to HEIC. This is not a fault of ACDSee. On my iPhone, I am running two ACDSee applications ACDSee Pro and Mobile Sync. Both support HEIC. I am using Mobile Sync to move the pictures to my Windows 10 desktop. When configured this runs by itself. New pictures are migrated every time I am on my home network. With ACDSee Ultimate I convert the pictures I want to keep to JPG, using the conversion functionality in ACDSee.

I am running ACDSee Ultimate 2020 - not 2018. HEIC is a relatively new file format from Apple. It might not be supported by ACDSee 2018? Others might be able to confirm that.

Comment

Thanks for the reply mogle ! I should have clarified, I'm referring to importing photos from an iPhone to a Windows 10 computer. No it's not ACDSee's "fault", just wanting to see if there are solutions to resolve the compatibility issues. I saw something indicating that HEIC wasn't supported even in the 2020 version but I may have misunderstood. As you said, I would love to hear confirmation from someone "in the know". Thanks!

Comment

Hi timandmarilyn,

HEIF/HEIC is supported format in ACDSee 2020 version. You can find all the support file formats for the current versions in this list: https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/file-formats/

The file format HEIF/HEIC was introduced in the ACDSee 2019 version.

Hope this helps.

Regards
        James
        ACDSee Customer Care

Comment

Hi timandmarilyn,

Unfortunately, the HEIC file format is not supported by Photo Studio 2018. I believe the video issue you are experiencing is caused by a similar problem. When Apple introduced the HEIC image format, they also introduced a new video codec (h.265 or HEVC). The videos are still MP4 files, but they are encoded differently.

If you are plugging your iPhones into your computer, you can have the phone automatically transcode the images and videos to compatible formats when they are transferred. In the iPhone Settings app, scroll down to find the Photos settings, then scroll down to the bottom to find the "Transfer to Mac or PC" option. Switching it to Automatic will automatically transcode the images to JPG and the videos to the classic h.264 encoding as they are transferred.

HEIC and h.265/HEVC are supported by Photo Studio 2020, although not the 32-bit version of Home 2020.

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

James W- and Tristan H thank you very much!

James, I'm confused by this line on the page you linked to, and in fact it's what I had seen previously. This makes it sound like HEIC files are not supported. Can you clarify? I am not an expert by any means on all these acronyms so I could be misunderstanding.
            ----------------------------------------------------------
            HEIF High Efficiency Image File Format Supports EXIF only. IPTC metadata is not supported for HEIC files
            ----------------------------------------------------------

Tristan, thank you very much for the iPhone tip. I will likely upgrade to 2020 once I get clarity from James on my question. I actually am familiar with that setting and I recently changed it from "Automatic" to "Keep Originals" because the Windows Photo Import wizard wouldn't work without it set that way. Having said that, I just installed some Windows Updates so I'll try changing it back to see if it works!

Comment

Well, decisions are never easy. Choosing "Keep Originals" is now working as far as showing video and photo thumbnails as before in ACDSee (although there is a weird effect with "Live Photos" in which they are numbered separately from static photos - but thankfully I turned that feature off after a couple rounds of photos anyway).

The downside? Using "Keep Originals" leaves nearly every photo in the wrong orientation and I have to manually go through each one to fix them. "Automatic" sets them correctly in the first place.

As noted earlier, I will likely just upgrade to 2020 so I can keep using "Automatic". Thank you everyone for the tips!

Comment

Hi timandmarilyn,

Regarding the note to the HEIF file format support " Supports EXIF only. IPTC metadata is not supported for HEIC files", this means that image format is supported as well as the EXIF metadata (e.g shutter speed, F-number, date/time original, etc.) , but currently the IPTC metadata (such as IPTC description, IPTC keywords, etc..) is not supported for this HEIF format.

Hope this helps.

Regards
                James

Comment

James W- thank you. Yes that clarifies things.

Comment

In case anyone finds this topic on a search, I ended up upgrading to Photo Studio Home 2020 and that resolved the issue! I can now import using "Automatic" and photos and videos appear normally within ACDSee.

Comment

Just a thought , have you tried changing orientation in the Camera, i.e camera reviews Portrait photo in landscape mode?
                      then do a download to ACDsee.

Comment

Thanks Len. I use portrait and landscape depending on the photo I'm taking, but regardless it comes out differently in Windows sometimes.

Unfortunately I have a new dilemma. I use Roxio Easy Media Creator to create photo/video slide shows, and it doesn't read the compatible file format :\. But if I choose "Make Compatible", Windows generates errors when importing some video files. I can't win . I'll likely call Apple and/or Dell to see if they have any ideas.

Comment

For anyone who wants to follow along, I posted a new thread about my new dilemma with Roxio. The approach I'd like to take is mass conversion of file formats using ACDSee if possible. See here:

https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...w-video-format

Comment

Working...
                          X