Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Change Orientation and Auto-Save

Hello,
    I just upgraded from Photo Studio Standard 2018 to Photo Suite Home 2020 and noticed one change in behavior I need to correct. I frequently go to View mode and scroll through photos to fix their orientation. In the 2018 version, I would then click "Next" and "Save" to resave the photo I was leaving with the orientation changes. In the 2020 version, just clicking the orientation change brings up a full Save Image As dialog box. If I just click "Save", it creates a separate copy of the image with the same name. This will never work for me because I frequently turn images multiple times and I can't be prompted each time for a new file. All I want to do is resave the image like before as I make these changes.

I've looked through a few choices in the Options dialog box, especially in View Mode and File Management, but haven't found the right mix of options yet. Can anyone fill me in on how to obtain the behavior I'm looking for?

Update: I discovered the "AutoSave all changes" option in Edit Mode but that didn't work. I thought that maybe that option only works when in Edit mode and not View mode.

Comment

Hi timandmarilyn,

There are a couple of ways to rotate images in View mode. Based on your description, I assume you are rotating using the buttons on the bottom toolbar. If you are using the Batch Rotate/Flip dialog, then my explanation won't be fully accurate.

Are these HEIC images you are trying to rotate? In ACDSee, HEIC images cannot be encoded, unlike JPG and TIF, but like RAW camera formats.

Photo Studio Home and the older Photo Studio Standard rotate images in Manage and View modes by altering the images' EXIF orientation metadata. This can only be done to encodable file formats. So when you try to rotate a non-encodable file format, the application will ask to save a copy in an encodable format. This is the same behavior you would see when saving Edit mode changes to these file formats.

Photo Studio Professional and Ultimate are able to apply a Develop setting to the images instead of changing their EXIF metadata, which lets them rotate non-encodable file formats. But Photo Studio Home doesn't have Develop mode, so it is unable to do this.

To answer your other question, the Tools > Options > Edit mode > "AutoSave all changes" option only affects changes made in Edit mode, not View mode.

Thanks,
      Tristan H.
      ACD Systems

Comment

Tristan H thank you very much for this detailed explanation! I may upsize to the Pro version then. If I were to do that, is it as simple as clicking the same rotate buttons and the "developing" happens behind the scenes automatically?

Comment

Hi timandmarilyn,

I've just confirmed it in Pro 2020, in both Manage and View modes, you can just click the same rotate button as in Home/Standard to automatically apply the Develop setting. No saving required.

I should note that when you develop an image, what you are doing is creating a JPG preview with the develop settings applied. The original image is left untouched. ACDSee handles this automatically: in the file list you will still see a single image with the develop settings applied. Just something to keep in mind if you go to the folder in Windows Explorer or another application. You can read more about how Develop mode saves changes here: https://help.acdsystems.com/en/acdse..._are_saved.htm

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

Thank you for the additional details Tristan H ! If I'm reading the help page correctly, any originals will be moved to an [Originals] folder. If that's the case that's not too bad as I can just delete the Originals folder after I've finished cleaning up pictures in a folder. Can you confirm that my understanding is correct?

The motivation behind all this is: I typically have quite a few photos to change orientation on in a given folder and I like to just zip through them in View mode and then move on to the next folder. With Pro it sounds like I can still do that, with the additional step of removing the Originals folder afterwards. Of course, if I'm keeping pictures in the new format, I seem to have fewer orientation problems anyway so it might be semi-moot.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Hi timandmarilyn,

For non-encodable files like HEIC, the original file will remain in place, with the XMP file containing the Develop settings alongside it. The JPG preview will be placed in the hidden [Developed] folder.

If you are just archiving your photos, there isn't really any need to delete the original image unless you are short on space, as ACDSee handles the related files automatically. In the file list, you will see a single file with the develop settings applied. Even if you need to move or copy the file, ACDSee will automatically move the XMP and JPG preview.

If you do want the single file, either to save space or to simplify your image library when viewing in Explorer, you can use Batch Convert File Format in Manage mode, and check the "Remove original files" option. I would generally not recommend this unless necessary, as it will delete the original HEIC file. Of course, if you don't care about keeping the HEIC files, this could potentially be your first step after importing new files.

If you just want to have easy access to a JPG for sharing purposes, you can Save As from Develop mode, or Batch > Export from Manage mode (or Convert File Format with "Remove original files" unchecked), to create a JPG copy of the image.

The advantage of both Batch operations is that you can select multiple files and perform the same operation on all of them.

Thanks,
              Tristan H.
              ACD Systems

Comment

Thanks Tristan H . It's starting to sound complicated. To provide background: I really use ACDSee for two reasons: (a) mass renaming of pictures within the folders I create to match the folder name, and (b) reorienting photos whose orientation is incorrect. I primarily then use Windows Explorer along with Roxio's movie creation tools to create video slide shows.

This discussion really started in another thread I believe you were in as well, in which I asked about the different options for importing iPhone photos - "Keep Original" or "Automatic". I like "Keep Original" because there aren't nearly as many photos that I do need to reorient, plus I'm keeping the higher quality image. However .... with "Automatic" I get simplicity on reorienting photos .... but I have 3 - 4 times as many to reorient :\ .... ah the woes of technology decisions!

I'm thinking about keeping the "Keep Original" setting, which gives me the HEIC files, and just using the Batch Convert feature you mentioned when I do need to reorient photos. Since there are fewer cases of it, that actually might not be too bad.

Thanks again for the help in trying to sort this out!

Comment

In case anyone searches this, I found an insanely simple solution. For whatever reason, WIndows' built-in photo reader can be used to change orientation on the fly just like before. No issue with file types, extra folders, etc. It just works! So i will continue to use ACDSee for mass renaming of files, but use Windows for reorienting pictures. Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X