Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can ACDSee Professional or Ultimate Convert iPhone 11's New Video Format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can ACDSee Professional or Ultimate Convert iPhone 11's New Video Format?

Recently I posted a thread regarding problems importing photos after switching to the iPhone 11 Pro Max. It turns out that upgrading from ACDSee Photo Studio 2018 to the 2020 Home version resolved the issue within ACDSee. Now, even though ACDSee recognizes the photos and videos, I can't get the Roxio product I've been using to recognize them so I can use them in video slide shows as I've done for years.

I think the best approach would be to mass convert photos and videos after importing them into ACDSee to a compatible format, however, the 2020 Home version appears to only be able to do this with the photos. When I choose Tools, Batch, Convert File Format, Convert on an HEIC picture, it works, but doing the same on the MOV files gives me a grayed out menu option. Does anyone know if an upgrade to the Pro or Ultimate versions of ACDSee would allow mass conversion of photos AND videos? Thanks in advance!

Previous Thread:
    https://forum.acdsee.com/forum/main-...one-11-pro-max

Hi timandmarilyn,

Unfortunately, ACDSee Photo Studio isn't designed to be a video converter. None of the three editions will convert MOV files from h.265/HEVC back to h.264.

You could try ACDSee Mobile Sync. This is a free app available on the App Store that lets you sync photos and videos to your ACDSee desktop software over wifi. In the app's settings, there is a "HEVC (H.265) Transcode" option that will convert these MOV files back to the more compatible h.264 encoding. You can optionally send both the original and transcoded file if you want to keep the original as well. Bear in mind that the transcoding operation doesn't work in background transfers or when the phone's screen is turned off, as the phone will try to save power.

I believe if you set the Photos app's "Transfer to Mac or PC" setting to Automatic, that will also transcode the videos to h.264 when importing while plugged in to the PC. This would be a bit of a hassle if you wanted to transfer HEIC images but compatible videos, but it is one way to do it.

Thanks,
    Tristan H.
    ACD Systems

Comment

Thank you very much Tristan H ! You've been super-helpful on both threads. I should have mentioned another catch-22 ... when I choose "Keep Originals" on the iPhone, the transfer process balks at several video files and can't import them (starting with the iPhone 11 Pro Max). That's what led me down the path of switching it to the "Automatic", but in that case the photos and videos aren't compatible with my Roxio Video Editing software :\.

Regarding the Mobile Sync idea I will definitely try that to see if it works for me. It sounds fairly simple which I like.

Only reason I like the new Apple photo/video format is that it rarely requires reorienting of photos and videos anymore. It still happens but it's one or two photos in a batch, whereas before it was sometimes up to half the photos. If Mobile Sync can properly orient pics & video right off of the phone to the PC that sounds ideal. I will experiment with it this week! Thanks again for the tip!

Comment

Tristan H, thank you again for the tip on ACDSee Mobile Sync! I think that is going to solve my issue. I just tested it with the JPEC Only and H.264 Only settings on photo and video, respectively, Unlike the Windows wizard I encountered no errors, and I was able to take the resulting files and use them in to Roxio Easy Media Creator tool.

I only have one remaining question. The videos showed up with an additional file per video with an XMP extension. I should note that these are all "Live Photo" videos (a feature I turned off after a couple rounds of photos), so it may be related to that.I deleted them all and the deletion doesn't appear to have affected anything. I left the "Still + Video" setting on this one.

Comment

Hi timandmarilyn,

Glad to hear Mobile Sync solved this issue! I find it very useful myself, and use it to transfer my own photos from my phone.

The XMP files contain image metadata in this case. Once cataloged by ACDSee (which happens immediately when the files are transferred), the metadata is also stored in the database. But I would generally recommend keeping XMP files if you ever think you might want the associated metadata. The files are quite small, so they won't take up much space.

XMP files are also used to store metadata when it can't be embedded into files, and for Develop mode settings. So I would certainly not recommend deleting them if you have added metadata or developed images within ACDSee.

Thanks,
          Tristan H.
          ACD Systems

Comment

Working...
          X