Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cataloging Files in the Database

The help system says:

"ACDSee automatically adds file information and thumbnails to the database as you browse. You can use the Catalog dialog box to add groups of files to the database without having to first browse the folders. This can be particularly useful when using ACDSee for the first time, and when browsing or managing large collections of images, as it reduces the loading time required for these folders."

Sorry, I'm a newbie and still don't completely get this. I don't think there was an equivalent in Picasa ... So is cataloging a type of optimizing that makes futures tasks faster? If so, what are some tasks that run faster after cataloging? Would it help in applying categories to photos? Is it worth doing for 15,000 jpgs? (I see some users here have 100k photos!)

Thanks.

Is there an equivalent in Picasa?
    I can't help there, I don't think I have used Picasa since ~2010

What are some tasks that run faster after cataloging?
    Displaying image thumbnails faster (especially those located remotely*), allows search for images by any IPTC or EXIF attribute
    *this is why you should keep the database local to the workstation.

Would it help in applying categories to photos?
    I think think having a catalog database is required to use ACD categories as that is where the catalog information is linked for searching.

Is it worth doing for 15,000 jpgs?
    For searching, yes, For speed, maybe. The larger the JPGs the greater the gain. If you have only small (5MP JPPGs you may not notices as much.)

Comment

Thanks for the help, Gus.

"*this is why you should keep the database local to the workstation."

The thing is that both my wife and I need to work on photos from our own laptops.

"I think think having a catalog database is required to use ACD categories as that is where the catalog information is linked for searching."

I have not started using cataloging but I have applied categories to photos and that seems to have worked. Not sure what you mean.

Comment

I have never fully cracked the nut of multiple workstations without adding parts to my process. Fr example, it is important to make sure two workstations aren't editing the same image at once.

Comment

That makes sense. I can see where it would cause a problem.

Comment

Working...
          X