Face detection crashes whole computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face detection crashes whole computer

I am new to ACDSee, and I have the issue that when I turn face detection on, ACDSee causes my whole PC to crash/restart. Not a slow dump or blue screen - literally like the power supply has failed.

Happens with Photo Studio 2021 Home/Pro and Ultimate, and 2022 Ultimate (at least those are the ones I've tested).

I have logged a ticket with Support and they've worked with me to debug, but now we're at "well if you can’t generate a dump we can’t do much". This is after they agree that the issue is 100% linked to ACDSee face detection.

I have (together with support) pushed my CPU/memory/disk way beyond what face detection does to see if that makes the hardware fail, but is does not. So while nothing is off the table until the issue is found, it does not appear to be hardware.

I have tried using local accounts (vs MicrosoftAccount) - no difference.

I have tried excluding USB/remote storage (everything saved on local C drive) - makes no difference.

I have uninstalled (several times incl manual and utility cleanup, which and without support on the line) - made no difference.

Reset (and move around to different locations) the ACDSee database - made no difference

Tested is check if the issue is linked to file formats (jpg, HEIC, raw) - happens for all formats.

Anybody else seeing this?

Any ideas?

Originally posted by burfot View Post
    ...Anybody else seeing this?
    Any ideas?
    I cannot say whether there is anyone else with the same or a similar problem.
    What I can say is that I use face Identification extensively in Ultimate 2022, have done so since its release last year, and it is working well.

In terms of offering any suggestions, I'm not sure what your current situation is with ACDSee Support.
    If it is still an ongoing investigation, then my advice would be to stay working with them. To also act on suggestions from others may simply make their task harder.

If Support require a memory dump, they should be able to tell you exactly how to provide what they want, or they should be able to arrange a remote hookup with your PC, so they can investigate the matter further.

If for some reason Support are no longer actively working on your issue, then you should post some more details about your PC..
    First off, does it meet with the minimum system requirements

Click image for larger version

Name:	Minimum requirments.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	60031
    Can you provide some specific details about your PC, is it a laptop, or a desktop?
    What is the CPU (type/model/speed), how much memory does it have, what graphics card does it have (make/model/memory)?
    What operating system version and build?.
    Has your operating system has all of the available Microsoft updates and are your graphics drivers up to date?

Do you have 3rd party Antivirus and/or anti-malware software installed.? (If so have you tried disabling it, or white listing ACDSee in it, to rule out whether it is causing an issue - there have been a number of posts about problems associated with 3rd party antivirus software).

Have you run the following in the order given?
    (a) From an Administrator level, run the command line instruction "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth" (without the quotes)
    (b) From an Administrator level, run the command line instruction "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes)

Did (b) report any errors fixed?

(c) From an Administrator level, run the command "DXDiag" (without the quotes)
    check on each Tab of the utility that "no problems were found", and confirm version of DirectX shown on the first tab is at least DirectX 10 as per the minimum system.requirements

(d) It might help to attach a screen shot of the Dashboard, Database Tab to your post, also a screen shot of the settings in Tools/Options/Face Detection, and Tools/Options/ACDSee.Indexer.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have done several screen-sharing sessions with support and we have checked together all the things you have suggested.
      They (support) do not disagree that the crash is caused (or at least triggered) by ACDSee, they just seem to be running out of ideas on how to trace the crash.

So now I'm stuck with trying to connect with others who might be having the same/similar issues...

Comment

Originally posted by burfot View Post
        Thanks for the response. I have done several screen-sharing sessions with support and we have checked together all the things you have suggested.
        They (support) do not disagree that the crash is caused (or at least triggered) by ACDSee, they just seem to be running out of ideas on how to trace the crash.

So now I'm stuck with trying to connect with others who might be having the same/similar issues...
        Unfortunately the chance of finding someone with exactly the same problem, who has exactly the same hardware, and exactly the same software mix, who has actually discovered a solution that also works on your PC, is not high.

If the PC is actually being forced into a restart when the crash occurs, then I would expect to see some "Event Viewer" events which may give a clue as to the cause of the crash.
        It is a matter of accurately noting the time shown in the task bar as soon as the restart has occurred, finding the restart events matching that time, and then working backwards to when the crash first occurred. Granted the cause of many Microsoft exception codes can be rather vague, but the events usually also point to a specific application, and a module name, which may at least provide some guidance.

But here is a test you can carry out.
        (a) Take your camera, and in good lighting conditions take 5 portrait "head and shoulder" shots of the same person. The shots should all have the face predominantly front facing, but the angle can vary a bit. Have the images export from the camera as JPG's.

(b) Using Windows File Explorer, create two new folders on a local drive - call them "FaceTest-1" and "FaceTest-2".
        (c) Start ACDSee, go to Tools\Options and at the bottom left of the dialog, click on Reset to Defaults
        (d) Go to Tools\Options\Manage Mode and un-tick "Remember from previous session", then set the home folder to the folder "FaceTest-1" created in step (b) above.
        (e) Go to Tools\Options\Face Detection and un-tick all three boxes.
        (f) Go to Tools\Options\ACDSee Indexer and in folders to monitor, remove any existing entries, then add only the "FaceTest-1" folder created in step (b) above.

(g) Now in Manage mode, go to File\Database\New and follow the prompts to create a new database on a local drive, then allow the program to restart. (your existing database is retained and you can switch back to it if you wish at the end of this test.
        (h) Close ACDSee.

(i) Use Windows File Explorer to copy 1 of the 5 ex camera JPGs taken in step (a) into the folder "FaceTest-1" and the other 4 into "FaceTest-2".
        (j) Start ACDSee. It should open in manage mode with the "FaceTest-1" folder selected, and the thumbnail for single photo in that folder showing. ACDSee will automatically create database entries for that photo.
        (k) Select the thumbnail for the image in "FaceTest-1", change to view mode and from Panes, tick "Face Detection". That will open a face detection pane on the right with a Face Detection Run button. Click on that button.You should now see a "bounding box" appear over the face, and a thumbnail of the face in the Face Detection pane. Click on the thumbnail and type in a name. For example "Fred Bloggs".

(l) Change tp People mode and check that there is a thumbnail showing for Fred Bloggs. It should have the number 1 showing on the thumbnail.

(m) Change back to Manage mode, then select Tools\Options\Face Detection and tick "Automatically detect faces in images" and also "Enable Facial Recognition" then click on OK.

(n) Select folder FaceTest-2 and then select each of the 4 images in turn, and in View mode you should see the "Bounding box" appear over the face, with the name "Fred Bloggs", and also the face thumbnail in the Face Detection Pane. Given that the 5 photos were taken at around the same time, of the same person, it should have no problem with the auto recognition of the 4 in this folder, but if for any reason on any of the 4 it shows the bounding box and the face thumbnail, but no name, then click on the thumbnail and add "Fred Bloggs".

If the crash occurs during the above test, then it might suggest an interaction issue with some other software on the PC, a driver problem, or perhaps corruption in either an ACDSee file, or its registry entries. The point at which the crash occurs might be significant, particularly if it is repeatable.

If a crash doesn't occur during the above test, then it might suggest a problem with either the original database, or perhaps ore or more of the images in it, or a problem caused by the queue process if the number of images is large. My suggestion would then be to catalog individual folders from your photo collection into this test database in small quantities. Again the point at which a subsequent crash might occur could then be significant, so keep a record of what you are adding each time.
        Last edited by Greyfox; 03-29-2022, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the extensive feedback, but frankly this is now in the "too hard" basket.

"Control Panel -> Add remove programs - Uninstall ACDSee" just seems a lot less hassle.

I'm sure I'll find something else that works for me, on my hardware, with my other software.

Take care...

Comment

Hi Greyfox this is a great post .

Comment

Working...
            X