Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What topics would you like to see covered in upcoming ACDSee video tutorials?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What topics would you like to see covered in upcoming ACDSee video tutorials?

The ACDSee Marketing team wants to know: What features would users like to learn more about in upcoming ACDSee video tutorials?

Please let us know by posting a reply below. Thanks!

10 bit color
    10 bit color is sometimes referenced as "HDR" and may be confused with "High Dynamic Range" -- which is a method of combining several images of different exposure values in order to resolve over-bright or too dark areas.
    10 bit color would need to be derived from .cr2 or .nef and converted into .tiff or possibly then new .heif format, or possibly .jpeg2000
    generating such an image is not difficult -- I think the existing version of ACDSee can produce 16-bit .tiff format. the key is in getting proper display. I use a QHD monitor now, and Windows-10 indicates it is supporting 10-bit color (right click on the screen and take the advanced option ).
    the key then is what support does ACDSee provide for creating and displaying images set up for 10-bit color ?

I find it interesting that some reports indicate our visual perception is limited to about 10million colors -- well below the 16million possible with sRGB ( 8-bit ) color. These same discussions though touch on perception's variable nature: we need better definition in the low-light areas -- hence the so called "gamma curve". See Cambridge in Color website.

all of this suggests that we may be able to produce images with better definition when we have 10 bits to work with instead of 8

it's also true that we are on the leading edge of this 10-bit stuff. so, most folks will still be working in 8-bit .jpeg format and that's fine: 8-bit .jpeg is a wonderful tool. Still: as technicians we need to be conversant on this topic and a little hands-on experience is what is needed.
    Last edited by bill albert; 01-30-2020, 05:42 AM.

Comment

I believe there was one very long develop mode video orientated to landscapes. I would like to see more focused develop mode tutorials on birds and animals. IE 1,2,3,4,5 steps. What to do first. etc. What format to save the orf file in, ie TIFF, ACDsee format (?). I understand many are interested in portraits, landscapes, etc, but I would like to see some treatment of ORF files for birds and other wildlife.

Comment

You can't solve problems by deleting replies!
        I still would love to learn how I can avoid the "ACDSee has encountered an error and will now close" error.

Comment

Originally posted by curious View Post
          I believe there was one very long develop mode video orientated to landscapes. I would like to see more focused develop mode tutorials on birds and animals. IE 1,2,3,4,5 steps. What to do first. etc. What format to save the orf file in, ie TIFF, ACDsee format (?). I understand many are interested in portraits, landscapes, etc, but I would like to see some treatment of ORF files for birds and other wildlife.
          Wildlife photography is a great suggestion. Thank you for your feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
            You can't solve problems by deleting replies!
            I still would love to learn how I can avoid the "ACDSee has encountered an error and will now close" error.
            Hi Emil,
            This thread is meant to be a positive and fun community activity where anyone can give suggestions for our next video tutorials. At ACDSee, we have a variety of ways, more than any competitor, to get help with technical problems. Please refer to our support page: https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/

Comment

How to perform mean, average, max, min, peak, multiply, add across multiple layers in Edit mode.

Comment

What features would users like to learn more about in upcoming ACDSee video tutorials?

How about features people might not know about, things they didn't know they could do.

Comment

How to maintain a fast and stable running ACDSee?

Comment

I have been using ultimate since version 9 and have only just learned how to use the gradient map to tone black and white images, much better than split toning. I guess I am supporting jtruchon above in asking for advice on how to use some of the less obvious tools.
                    Look forward to seeing the videos you produce, Dave.

Comment

More on management of photo collections:

"real-life" examples of management of photos - categorization of photos. Most tutorials seems to be based on an clean installation and no or limited categorization.
                      Keywords vs categories: When is the keywords the best choice and when to use the categories/sub categories. Examples of good ways to combine categories and keywords.

How to ensure that categories, keywords, ratings etc. are accessible from other tools from other vendors.

Best practices on archiving and backup strategies and how ACDSee could hook into such a strategy.

Comment

As a new user, I'd like to watch smaller shorter clips on the basics, ie Categories, Keywords, and general metadata management and good practice,
                        I've watched some recorded workshops on youtube, and they're great to sit and watch, but they're not great when you just want to find a quick 5 min guide on specifics.
                        Also the basics of the available panes and workspace suggestions, etc.

Comment

I would like to know more about ACDSee, the company and your employees. Not interested in sales, marketing, accounting. Interested in the hard stuff.
                          - How you handle suggestions and product improvements from customers.
                          - How you set up your priorities in terms of development.
                          - Your test teams.
                          - How you organize your development teams.
                          - How product managers interact with customers.
                          - How customers can interact with product managers. Do you want to get feedback from us?
                          - What can customers do to improve the products?
                          - Can a customer take part in beta testing?
                          - Put your best engineers in front of the camera.
                          - Make a walk-trough series of the company.
                          - You will have lots of fun doing this. Done right, the customers will respond.

This is difficult stuff. Most companies keep this behind closed doors. Those who open this up, accelerate and improve their customer satisfaction and more important product quality.

Comment

Originally posted by mogle View Post
                            This is difficult stuff. Most companies keep this behind closed doors.
                            ACDSystems always have been mystery-mongers. Every autumn we are presented a new lucky back.
                            But things seem to change. Since some month employees show up in this forum, a new SDK is published . . .
                            I remember years when no one from ACDSystems did ever answer to any thread here. All we had was the support with their phrases.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post

ACDSystems always have been mystery-mongers. Every autumn we are presented a new lucky back.
                              But things seem to change. Since some month employees show up in this forum, a new SDK is published . . .
                              I remember years when no one from ACDSystems did ever answer to any thread here. All we had was the support with their phrases.
                              I have not looked up the company. Who owns them? Are they a public company? Are the employee's shareholders? Are they traded?

Comment

Working...
                              X