ACDSee Performance Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACDSee Performance Issues

I have ACDSee Ultimate 2019 installed on two computers (and this issue goes back to when I started with ACDSee Ultimate 10). One is a powerful desktop PC, and the other is a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (i7 model). The issue is that ACDSee has a some noticeable moments of severe sluggishness, and I was wondering if other people have experienced the same symptoms I am about to describe and whether they have been able to find solutions or workarounds. I edit mostly A7RIII files (both RAW and JPEG from the camera--does not seem to make a difference here).

ACDSee tends to be sluggish and sometimes hangs up (2-8s) when I do the following things:
    • Switching between some of the main Develop tools (Tune, Detail, Geometry, Repair)
    • Switching between Develop & Edit mode (big one--up to 8s hang-up on both computers)
    • Launching any tool in the Edit mode filter menu
      (e.g. Exposure or Color EQ)

. Weirdly enough, there is almost no lag for using an adjustment layer (even if it is one that has a corresponding filter that hangs up a long time). The filters and adjustment layers do not have the same UI, and they do not have the same set of options/tools, so sometimes I would much rather use the filter tools, but over the course of editing one image, just the act of launching and closing several Edit mode filter too can add a ton of time to my workflow.
    • Major sluggishness when I try to define a gradient (especially a radial gradient) to an adjustment layer or layer mask. This is when I am dragging the ui to set the gradient. This issue does not occur at all when using an Edit mode filter tool (e.g. Exposure), but if I were to use that same tool as an adjustment layer, applying a gradient it a painful process because dragging the gradient tool is very laggy and choppy.
    • Surface Pro 4 only: using the pen for applying brush strokes. The brush skips around erratically and lags a lot, which is completely unusuable. I feel that this was not an issue in Ultimate 10, but it became an issue in Ultimate 2018, and it has stuck around for Ultimate 2019.
    Phone apps like Polarr Pro (which has a desktop client) do not have those types of issues, so I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to minimize the performance lag/hang-ups in ACDSee. Maybe there is a setting somewhere in the software's options? Some other type of optimization? I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

UPDATE: I have installed Ultimate 2020 on my SSD (no change to my library storage), and I have been using it for a few days. Happy to say that I have noticed improved performance on most of my points above--except that gradients are still sluggish, and I have not done any testing on my Surface Pro 4. I don't know if the performance boost is the SSD install or if it is that 2020 is better optimized than 2019. Either way, I'm able to fly through hundreds of photos, cull them, and make quick edits without feeling like the software is slowing me down. Success!

UPDATE 2: It is still very sluggish when magnifying in and out of a file that has multiple layers. Say, 10 or so layers.
    Last edited by dragus359; 10-20-2019, 05:16 PM.

I did four things...
    * Updated video drivers ---using the video card manufacturer update---. (SOmetime Windows Update misses the latest drivers
    * Win10 > "Graphics Settings" > Add ACDSee (Classic app) to the list > OPtions > High Performance
    * Use NVMe drives
    Do not use files on a cloud drive (takes time for the cloud to update the changed files, thus making it seem like the application is slower)

Comment

Thanks for the tips. My video drivers are up to date. Based on your recommendation, I tried assigning ACDsee to a high performance setting, but I do not have the software or my library on an NVMe drive (mine is only 256GB, and my library is too big). On my desktop, I did not experience a noticeable change in performance by setting ACDSee to high performance, unfortunately. I have not yet had a chance to test on my Surface.

Comment

Yes, I have had some lag issues. Generally, the program is very snappy.... I tried loading it with tasks to push the limits and it does pretty well on my system. But,

It hung in Edit mode while I tried to use the crop tool! There weren't that many layers in use....

The mouse scroll to zoom is almost always laggy and choppy on my windows 7.

On Windows 10 the program had major lag when auto-collapsing left hand tools panel, which I had set to auto hide. It would move, get stuck, move again. TOOK 5 OR 6 stops to completely close.

I am running a new system with win 10 on nvme and a win7 on ssd. RYZEN 5 2600X OCd, 16g 3200 ram, latest drivers for Nvidia 750gtx 3gb ram. Actual files are on an sata hybrid 2tb drive. Also too many files for ss drives.

Comment

Originally posted by dragus359 View Post
          my library is too big.
          FWIW, I keep my active files that I am editing on the fast NVMEs. The less active files are archive across wireless network to a NAS.

I did not know you could have the panes "auto-open/close" I am going to have to figure out how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
            FWIW, I keep my active files that I am editing on the fast NVMEs. The less active files are archive across wireless network to a NAS.

I did not know you could have the panes "auto-open/close" I am going to have to figure out how to do that.
            Ah, smart. I did not think about just using the NVME for the active files. I might upgrade to a slightly bigger one so I can do that. Also, yes, auto-hide for the Edit mode panes is such a good feature to enable--especially when using a smaller laptop screen to edit. To toggle on/off click the pin that is just to the left of the pane's X (close) button.

Comment

FWIW, I use 1T of NVMe on my XPS laptop... and have 10TB used of about 16TB on my NAS. ACDSee runs fine.

Comment

FWIW, I use 1T of NVMe on my XPS laptop... and have 10TB used of about 16TB on my NAS. ACDSee runs fine.
                Great! Sounds like an NVMe really will fix the issues I have. Now, are people installing ACDSee on their SSDs too, or do you still have good performance with an HDD install combined with an NVMe editing directory?

Comment

By auto-open I mean on mouse over. There is a clickable icon on the panel's upper left corner that looks like a thumb tack and if you click it, the panel now automatically closes when you're not using it and opens on mouse over. That is if the program is not lagging..

As for active files on the NVME... what a drag to have to constantly move files to a different directory... I wish I could avoid that.. by not having ACDsee crash so much.

Comment

Originally posted by dragus359 View Post

Great! Sounds like an NVMe really will fix the issues I have. Now, are people installing ACDSee on their SSDs too, or do you still have good performance with an HDD install combined with an NVMe editing directory?
                    I have the win7 version of ACDsee on SSD and Win10 install on NVMe... and it still drags and crashes, so I doubt that it's just a drive issue. It's partially optimization issue and partially just software issue. I'm positing a conjecture that the Edit mode is a work in progress and they haven't worked out the many bugs that exist. So far, 50% of my edit attempts with more than a couple of layers end up in some sort of crash or system failure with ACDsee completely bugging out. It's a new system and all the other editors work just fine. Lightroom is a breeze, so is DxO and X4... I tried Corell, which had one crash issue on Saving PSD files, but otherwise ran fine and I also tried Affinity, which had some weird annoying bugs, but no crashes. Point being, that everything runs fine on my systems and they are stable as far as I can tell. The issues are program-specific.

Comment

I use NVMe for the OS, apps, ACD database, and active image files. The image files are on NVMe for about 1-3 months before a quick drag/drop to the NAS for safe keeping. I totally rely on the ACD file management. This is a must to avoid database related issues. I have also taken to optimizing the database every week. To me it is part of the requirements for maintaining such a large image vault.

FWIW, my system with ACD is solid. Certainly less than two crashes per year... and no problems with dragging. I have .acdc files well over 1GB and 10 layers with masking on each. I am not sure what I do right, but I don't seem burdened by performance. Of course, with other apps, I have certainly been on the unhappy side of the equation, but ACD and my hardware seems to work well. (I just realized my laptop that I use for the editing is 3 years old.)

This all being said, I do not use facial recognition nor the catalog (except for the auto-categories). Certainly, not using facial recognition is less taxing to the system.

Comment

So, quick update: I have installed Ultimate 2020 on my SSD (no change to my library storage), and I have been using it for a few days. Happy to say that I have noticed improved performance on most of my points above--except that gradients are still sluggish, and I have not done any testing on my Surface Pro 4. I don't know if the performance boost is the SSD install or if it is that 2020 is better optimized than 2019. Either way, I'm able to fly through hundreds of photos, cull them, and make quick edits without feeling like the software is slowing me down. Success!

**going to paste this in the OP**
                        Last edited by dragus359; 10-04-2019, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X