Simple Image Viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Image Viewer

My first ACDSee product was the V3 image viewer, and I've been using it since I first bought it back in the late 90's I think? It's the best image viewer I've ever used - super fast to open, pre-loads the next image, simple, intuitive controls to move back and forth through a folder of images. I upgraded to V5 and found it slower and less convenient to use, though I can't remember exactly why - I used to go back to V3 whenever I reinstalled my OS. One feature I loved is that you can drag the image into other apps as if it were a file.

Now that I have a 64 bit machine I can't make it work so I've been looking for an update and naturally came here, but disappointed to find no image viewer, just editing software. I've tried Irfan view which is rated highly on DL sites but it's nowhere near as good as ACDSee3. Does anyone have any suggestions? I emphasise strongly that, like millions of users, I DON'T need any editing functions, I just want a really good, fast, practical viewer!

Hi XRichardX - Like you, I also go back to the 1990's and the first great versions of Acdsee. Version 3.1 was a fantastic product. Although that early version has grown into a whole family of world-class image management software, the basic version is still fundamentally the same image viewer and manager as your beloved Version 3. Yes, it has some basic editing abilities, but you certainly don't need to use those tools. And they don't slow down the product. So, my #1 recommendation would be stick with ACDSee 2020 Home Edition.

However, of you are determined to find another product, I would not go with IrfanView. If you want to stay as similar to ACDSee-3 as possible, I would suggest XnView as my first choice. My #2 alternative would be FastStone. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your advice...I tried XnView but found it far too slow when scrolling through a folder of images. I also tried ImageGlass but can only look ahead 10 images, so for fast scrubbing through a folder, it soon slows down. So I installed ACDSee with only the most basic features, and I guess it's the closest thing I've found yet, but still takes about 3 sec to load and open the first image (slower than V3).

ACDSee people - if you read this - there is DEFINITELY a market for an ultra-fast image viewer that does nothing else. I would pay more for that than I would for an editing program - just because there are so many of them around.

Comment

I am with you Richard, used ACDSee since 1989, I would have paid double the price for an early version.
        I didn't like v3.1 for some extraordinary reason ACDSee in their wisdom removed "right click move" an essential operation for my vast image organisation.
        I like v2.42 about to see if it will work on Win10, if not, it's finally bye bye to ACDSee
        I am using Picasa - Fastone -and XYPlorer to do what ACDSee was so brilliant at.

Comment

Originally posted by rod222 View Post
          I am with you Richard, used ACDSee since 1989, I would have paid double the price for an early version.
          I didn't like v3.1 for some extraordinary reason ACDSee in their wisdom removed "right click move" an essential operation for my vast image organisation.
          I like v2.42 about to see if it will work on Win10, if not, it's finally bye bye to ACDSee
          I am using Picasa - Fastone -and XYPlorer to do what ACDSee was so brilliant at.
          Yes, I very much agree with you. I think ACDSee should improve their ACDSee Pro built in 'Quick View' .
          For instance : select 2 or more files with Windows Explorer, hit enter, and allow the quick view to show them side by side, so as to see which one to keep or delete.
          Launching ACDSee in full takes way too long for just this quick type of 'comparison' view.
          BTW, AFAIK only XnView Classic has this feature...
          Note: ACDSee Free is way too limited compared to other freeware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SnagIt-26092020 083754.png
Views:	100
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	53656

Comment

Working...
          X