Black on Black theme -- very hard to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black on Black theme -- very hard to read

the black on black ( very dark grey ) -- is very difficult to read.
    in the tools menu, /options /display -- there is an option to set the background color -- but this has little affect.
    we need some way to make the screen easy to read.

the Black on Black color scheme for the ACDSee menus makes finding desired switch difficult and this will be very discouraging to new users who are trying to learn their way around.

the option to adjust the default background to a lighter shade needs attention.

Comment

Options > Display > Background only changes the background color of the editing window. It doesn't change the "theme".

For what it is worth, I do not see a black on black theme in Ult2020

I've always used the charcoal settings (Options > Manage Mode > Display Theme > Charcoal).
      I've never had difficulty reading the white letters on the charcoal background. I much prefer the Charcoal Theme over the Light theme.

The Charcoal theme does look like charcoal on my display. It certainly is not black..
      As a reference point, I keep my brightness set around 25% (fairly dim) to keep the color matching correct. Obviously, the settings for a different monitor could be very different.

It may be worth a bit of experiment to see what happens at different brightness and contrast settings.
      Calibrating the monitor is the best way to make sure images eventually print correctly. In a pinch, the Win10 color calibration can help get things into range.

Other users have reported issues when using WIn10 customizing tools (like WinBlinds from Stardock). These tools can take over control of backgrounds and font colors. If you are using one of these types of tools, it may be worth checking.

Comment

thanks again; these tips are invaluable !!!!! I'll get on this adjustment this morning

the monitor that I'm using is an ASUS 2560x1440 (I'll try to get the exact model number) but -- it is color calibrated from the factory. The Windows-10 system is a fresh install; no customizing tools.

I have a very important person recovering from a serious medical issue. He's trying to get his photography hobby going again and, as part of his therapy, he needs some high quality photo software to work with. if I can get this to work for him it will be very beneficial

0610 update; yea!
        I was able to set the Display Theme.

notes
        I'll agree: for working with photos: I too prefer the charcoal theme. However: for learning the program the light theme is going to be MUCH better. My suggestion would be to include a background color selection option here as is included in the Options>Display>Background setting.
        Last edited by bill albert; 11-17-2019, 03:19 AM.

Comment

The factory calibration is not accurate enough. For professional work, the monitor must be calibrated to accurately display the colors, light and contrast of all components connected to the computer. After calibration is completed, the Photo Processing Program (ACD) automatically assumes a new calibration.

Comment

For the record, like you, I am a mere user of the tool.

The light mode may be a better option. (At least it is the shortest path to success)

As a test, here is a charcoal theme screenshot of ACD Ult2020 from my screen in the link below.
            In case the attached link doesn't work, here is something you can copy/paste
            https://guspanella.smugmug.com/Share...dH/i-vpHk39C/A

Is this screenshot difficult to read, too?

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
              For the record, like you, I am a mere user of the tool.

The light mode may be a better option. (At least it is the shortest path to success)

As a test, here is a charcoal theme screenshot of ACD Ult2020 from my screen in the link below.
              In case the attached link doesn't work, here is something you can copy/paste
              https://guspanella.smugmug.com/Share...dH/i-vpHk39C/A

Is this screenshot difficult to read, too?

That is from the ULTIMATE version; I'm using the Home/Studio. Let me see if I can get a screenshot for you...

Comment

here is Photo Studio Home in dark theme
                Attached Files

Comment

here is Photo Studio Home in light mode

you can clearly see: a new user is not going to be able to use this in dark mode.

I am going to mark this issue as RESOLVED as we have a workable solution that I can use later today.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by bill albert; 11-17-2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Wow. That black/red text is difficult. I have certainly never seen those colors in any release. I do not think the Red/Black is indicative of the program operation, but I am at a loss to explain as to why it is there.
                    Something strange is going on.

Comment

By chance, is the "Win10 High Contrast" settings turned on?

Win10 Desktop > Rt Click > Personalize > High Contrast Settings

Turn on high contrast > is is set to "off"

Comment

By chance, is the "Win10 High Contrast" settings turned on?

Win10 Desktop > Rt Click > Personalize > High Contrast Settings

Turn on high contrast > is is set to "off"
                        I checked that just now: the high contrast option was set ON.

Comment

I think the issue can be traced back t0\o the High Contrast.

Try setting High Contrast to "off" and your menus should appear like the screen capture I shared.

If you need screen contrast on, it may be worth considering different colors for "text", "disabled text" and "selected text"

Comment

I think the issue can be traced back t0\o the High Contrast.

Try setting High Contrast to "off" and your menus should appear like the screen capture I shared.

If you need screen contrast on, it may be worth considering different colors for "text", "disabled text" and "selected text"
                            thanks so much for all your help!!

notes
                            I'm a software guy and I don't mind fussing with this stuff. IMHO though -- the default option should be usable, "right out of the box".
                            just my nickel's worth

UPDATE:

yes. turning off the Windows "High Contrast" option completely altered the color them presented by Windows.
                            and yes, the ACDSee Home Photo Studio responded to this change presenting itself quite well.

IMHO your installer should check this. The Windows-10 system I'm testing on is a fresh install so I suspect that "high contrast" is the default setting on new installations.

If possible -- let's mark this thread closed.
                            Last edited by bill albert; 11-19-2019, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bill albert View Post

IMHO your installer should check this. The Windows-10 system I'm testing on is a fresh install so I suspect that "high contrast" is the default setting on new installations.

I am glad you are able to see the change. You may notice the change across other apps, too. I hope this thread has helped how applications work with operating system settings.

I am merely a user trying to help out. I am not part of the ACD organization.
                              Maybe a message to the support system can get your visions considered.

Comment

Working...
                              X