Work Flow in ACD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Flow in ACD

another topic that I'd like to address -- as part of my evaluation of ACD -- is "Work Flow"

Work Flow begins when you bring home new material from a shoot. In a simple example you might have maybe 200 shots or so from an afternoon hike, or a party of some kind ...

the first thing to do is to IMPORT the SD Chip(s) -- or just read the camera. And this should result in a new Event Directory

The Next Step is First Pass Evaluation. In First Pass we want to page through the photos and mark all the "keepers" with a rating of 1 ( or better ) -- and delete all the misses. Quite often compositions will be shot 2 or 3 ( maybe more ) times and we are seeking to select the best shot from each composition. The best display for doing this is VIEW.

To set a "rating" we use the number page -- this is fine -- but -- it should work in the view mode. The delete key for the missed shots -- or '9' meaning keep, but do not display unless all option selected.

on the next pass, some of the images may be selected for further processing: in my case, I publish on flickr. and so, I would tag each published image with the tag "flickr". These are called "keywords" in ACD for some reason. Anyway, when I come back to the photos for an event I should be able to see which images are tagged -- from the manage screen; i should not need to select the image to see if it's tagged.

Event Title Slide

I should be able to select one image in an event as the "Title Slide" and this should be presented as the thumbnail for the even when I select -- e.g photos for 2019-11.

Remember: the primary mission here is organization.

moving groups of events

if I have several events for November, 2019 I may want to move all of these events into a November 2019 Directory. So, I'd create a 2019-11 directory, and then select all the events dated 2019-11-xx and move them to the 2019-11 directory. This means move the images IN THIR CORRESPONDING SUBDIRECTORIES -- it does not mean to move the images and abandon the empty sub directories.

let's work to make ACDSee better!

[QUOTE=bill albert;n50711]And this should result in a new Event Directory[QUOTE]

Should it? Not in my case. I have separate folders for every single day, but not for events. Events might span over several days, or there might be several events the same day. Event names may be used for categories, collections or assigned as keywords. All users should be allowed to follow their own philosophy and have their own work flow.

As you, I use ratings and labels to judge my images, but it is used after a completely automatic import in to folders ordered by the date the photographs are shot. The folders never get renamed and the images never are moved.

However, a "Title slide" for collections and categories indeed are neat idea.

Comment

[QUOTE=Emil;n50712][QUOTE=bill albert;n50711]And this should result in a new Event Directory

Should it? Not in my case. I have separate folders for every single day, but not for events. Events might span over several days, or there might be several events the same day. Event names may be used for categories, collections or assigned as keywords. All users should be allowed to follow their own philosophy and have their own work flow.

As you, I use ratings and labels to judge my images, but it is used after a completely automatic import in to folders ordered by the date the photographs are shot. The folders never get renamed and the images never are moved.

However, a "Title slide" for collections and categories indeed are neat idea.
      thanks
      I figured out of to easily move event directories: I just need to work entirely within the folders panel

an "Event" -- could easily include multiple sets-- such as a two week travel trip -- or a holiday weekend family party. The family party may well include photos from multiple cameras/photographers

Comment

Setting the Write Switch

If I set a rating on an image -- the little disk write required indicator appears on the updated image. But: if I set a keyword -- the write indicator doesn't come on: it should: anything that is stored in the metadata -- or should be stored in the metadata -- should trigger the write switch.
        Last edited by bill albert; 11-19-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

In VIEW mode, you can add to each photo a 1-5 number by pressing CTRL + number, even in full screen mode. In MANAGE mode, you can delete given number on selected photo by clicking the the white square at the top right in Properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
            <snip>
            All users should be allowed to follow their own philosophy and have their own work flow.
            absolutely

i totally confess to being a "noob" here but I want to learn

one of the things tat a Data Asset manager should do well is to help the user correct things that are not organized advantageously

I re-organized all of 2019 by month. Instead of having 200 sub-directories under "2019" I not have 11: 2019-01 through 2019-11; December being still to come.
            this required moving all the 2019 event directories into their proper month. This I think is better when there are many events in the year; if not-- it's probably not necessary to do this

The "Title Slide" for an "Event" might easily be prepared using (e.g. ) Powerpoint,--
            Shotwell implements this and it works very well.

Comment

If it wasn't for vendor lock-in, I would use ACD-specific keywords and categories. (Note: I've used ACD since v7, so this whole lock-in fear is just a bit of OCD on my part, but such is life).

I would like to run ACD the exact same way I run email. I file/organize nothing. Instead, I use attributes and search to organize, group, etc things. This way, I just need to keep the attribues correct, then make good use of (save) searches and displays with never worrying about getting stuck into a precise workflow. Effectively, my worflow can change at the speed that I can create a new search.

Comment

This is from dpbestflow.org https://dpbestflow.org/file-manageme...ement-overview I'm just posting for general info/reference...we all have our own ways of working and organizing.

"Storage vs. Organization

It's helpful to approach file management issues by separating the concept of Storage from the concept of Organization. Storage describes how you handle the files: What's in a folder? What kind of folder names do you use? How do you design a folder hierarchy?
                Organization, by contrast, describes how images are grouped according to content, usage or value. Organization lets you find all pictures of Josie, or all pictures done for the Acme Company, or all images used in my portfolio. We recommend that your organization be based fundamentally on metadata, rather than on folders.
                There are two main problems with using folders for organization. The first is that the work you can do to organize with folders is very limited. There must be one top-level organizational method, which can only be subdivided in a limited way before the system becomes too cumbersome and breaks down. Is it most important to divide by date, client, project, subject matter, rating, or usage? Furthermore, information that is dependent on folder structure is very fragile. If you remove an image from a folder that designates what that image is, that content information can be lost.
                While folder structure can be helpful in organizing your images, we suggest that the main job of folders should be as a storage structure.

Catalog software If folders are not the main method for organizing files, what is? We suggest that you need to use metadata and catalog software to most efficiently organize, manage, preserve, and get the most value from your images. Catalog software keeps a record of all images, and lets you use metadata to group them in any number of ways. You can bring images together that have common subject matter, were shot for the same client, were sent out for similar uses, or any other commonality. "

Comment

Originally posted by bill albert View Post
                  I re-organized all of 2019 by month. Instead of having 200 sub-directories under "2019" I not have 11: 2019-01 through 2019-11; December being still to come.
                  this required moving all the 2019 event directories into their proper month. This I think is better when there are many events in the year; if not-- it's probably not necessary to do this
                  Hmm, this gives a good chances for dupes and orphans :-) I would'nd go this way.

The "Title Slide" for an "Event" might easily be prepared using (e.g. ) Powerpoint,--
                  Shotwell implements this and it works very well.
                  To much for me. Imho choosing one of the shots to represent the category/collection should be sufficient.

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
                  If it wasn't for vendor lock-in, I would use ACD-specific keywords and categories.
                  I'm heavily locked-in with more then 180.000 shots developed with AC. Many man-years of hard labour :-)

Originally posted by jtruchon View Post
                  It's helpful to approach file management issues by separating the concept of Storage from the concept of Organization.
                  I wish the developers of digikam would read this. For these guys a folder always represents an album :-(

BTW. The "Calendar" tab already has an "Event View", it allows to assign one event name to every day. No more and no less than that - you can't search for this tag and afaik it also can't be embedded. This function is unchanged since decades and nobody at ACDSystem cares.

Comment

+1,000,000 on Metadata instead of folders. Folders are 1st order solutions. Folder-based methods seem stone-age once bought into metadata.

FWIW, my bet against vendor lock-in is use of the IPTC for all metadata, then tailor ACD search functions accordingly.
                    Oddly, it is because I don't feel locked in is the reason I use ACD.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
                      +1,000,000 on Metadata instead of folders. Folders are 1st order solutions. Folder-based methods seem stone-age once bought into metadata.

FWIW, my bet against vendor lock-in is use of the IPTC for all metadata, then tailor ACD search functions accordingly.
                      Oddly, it is because I don't feel locked in is the reason I use ACD.
                      absolutely. in some cases you may be able to transfer a photo catalog from one vendor's app to another -- if I remember rightly ACDSee can read a LightRoom catalog.
                      but this will only work -- where it has been implemented

editing information into the meta-data is time-consuming; thus it is critical that it be transportable . I think we will be seeing more of the HEIF format but I don't see .jpeg going away anytime soon -- it has been used enough to the point where we can't get rid of it. maybe. at one point I thought that about the WordPerfect document format

Comment

Working...
                      X