Improvements incorporated in Photo Studio XXXX 2020 over earlier versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvements incorporated in Photo Studio XXXX 2020 over earlier versions

I have been using Acdsee Ultimate 9 for a long time and today decided to consider upgrading to the Photo Studio 2020 version. I downloaded the Home 2020 for a trial. I then ran ACDSee Ultimate 9 side by side with Photo Studio Home 2020. The problem is that I cannot find any significant reasons to upgrade. Am I missing something? I would appreciate it if someone could give me a few reasons/advantages to actually upgrade, right now I am a bit disappointed as nothing seems to have improved since December 2018 (when I bought Ultimate V9) Loading times and response times seem almost the same. Thanks!

One significant improvement is that the ACDSee mobile app only works with Photo Studio 2020. This seems like a nice option. However, if OneDrive is set to auto upload then the photos are available in the Onedrive folder "Camera Roll" which ACDSee Ultimate 9 can access. So I am still not convinced whether to upgrade to Ultimate 2020 (cost $100) is worthwhile the cost.

Comment

This is a very difficult question.
      I am certain there were many differences between V9 and 10, v10 and v2018, and v2018 and v2019. But it is very difficult to remember the timeline of what happened where and when. But I certainly remember being generally satisfied on the differences as I paid for upgrades every year.

If would certainly be a good deal if ACD is offering discounted upgrades, to move from v9 to v 2019. Minimally, you get the advantage of the money that bought the development resources that many users have put into the tool over the years.

If you don't see many differences than your usage model may not need the update. For instance, if you only do a small bit of reorganizing, straightening/cropping, and quick edits there is probably no reason to change.

Does v9 have elective editing in both Edit and Develop modes for almost all of the basic parameters, how are the layer in Edit mode different, there are GUI interface updates, too What about LightEq, COlor EQ and pixel targeting. Is there frequency separation in v9? Have you noticed the change in use of OpenCL (the GPU utilization is better). There maybe 20-50 things that I have missed.

Comment

I've just updated from Photo Studio Standard 2019 to Photo Studio Home 2020 and was expecting to see the Develop mode along the top of the screen but it isn't there. According to the ACDSee web site Home 2020 includes Photo Studio Ultimate which should include the Develop facility??? I also can't see the photo stacking tool bar. I can't at the moment see what I've upgraded to?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
          I've just updated from Photo Studio Standard 2019 to Photo Studio Home 2020 and was expecting to see the Develop mode along the top of the screen but it isn't there. According to the ACDSee web site Home 2020 includes Photo Studio Ultimate which should include the Develop facility??? I also can't see the photo stacking tool bar. I can't at the moment see what I've upgraded to?
          Maybe if you contact them they will let you change your upgrade to the programs that contain develop mode. This is pretty thorough in explaining what program contains which features. https://www.acdsee.com/en/product-comparison/

Comment

GrahamGo, I started with Ultimate 9 and now use Ultimate 2019. If you are a RAW photographer and use Develop mode then the benefits are huge. Look at the additional facilities in the local adjustment brush and the graduated filters. just being able to brush on different white balance to a sky (make it colder so bluer) is a great benefit. I have turned off face detection as it is something I would never use. In Manage mode you can now copy the adjustments made to one image straight to another image. Actions allow you to record your adjustments made in Edit mode and save them. The Action can then be applied to another image in other modes. I use this particularly for adding a frame to an image I have developed in Develop mode.
            I also think the noise control is far better in 2019.
            There are many more changes in the Edit mode but I can stay in Develop mode more than I used to.
            All round I find I am having more fun being creative in Ultimate 2019 than I used to.
            Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Probably in my case, upgrading doesn't bring too much. But after all, I am using software from 2016 and even if the new features don't excite me, I am sure that there must be speed improvements, stability, etc.

This brings me to pricing and licensing. If I went for Photo Studio Ultimate 2020 it will cost me $100, I am not offered an upgrade price saving even though I have Ultimate Pack 9 bought in 2016. For this, I apparently get a lifetime license for one instance. As I need to use it on a PC and also a laptop (two devices) then it seems that I have to buy an additional ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2020 License Key costing $75, so a total outlay of $175.

Then if I look at the Home Pack 2020 it allows me to use it on three devices yet only costs $150. Plus I get additional software (but which I don't really need). However, it does not mention anywhere that it is a lifetime license - so that makes a question, how long is the license good for?

So, I can stay as-is and just use Ultimate 9. But I really don't mind supporting ACDsee development by updating. But the cost isn't cheap at $175 or $150 with a license which isn't clear. I have another 10 days to think about it with the current offer, any advice is appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X