Home 2020; Copy Full Path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home 2020; Copy Full Path

I'm in the process of manually migrating from Picasa to Home 2020 w/ ~80,000 pictures. It's a daunting task, but I can't wait for a migration tool because I'm concerned that Windows will implement an update that will unknowingly break the Picasa program. Anyway, as I'm migrating & learning the system, I'm coming up with questions re: functionality and perhaps enhancements.

Here's an example. In Picasa, I can right click on a photo & click on Copy Full Path, capturing the path. I use that functionality often to find/attach pictures within gmail, on Facebook, etc. I just open the attach icon, select the Picture folder, paste the full file path into the search bar, click on the file when it appears, and voila, mission accomplished. Does a similar Copy Full Path function exist in Home 2020? If yes, where? If not, how do I get this on a list of enhancements for consideration?

Thank you . . .

After selecting a file in manage mode, in the "Properties - File" tab you will see the path of the selected file. It's bubble help claims clicking it would go to the folder and select the file, but at least on my system this doesn't work: AC always selects the top most file instead.

Workaround:
    Here you will find a REG file that adds this feature to the explorer context menu. Then in AC, CTRL+Right-Click the file it to open the explorer context menu.

BTW: In Explorer Shift+Right-Click offers the same function, but that also doesn't work in AC.
    Last edited by Emil; 03-05-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Emil! The workaround you provided does the trick. It would be nice, though, if ACDSee added a "Copy Full Path" option w/ a right click on a photo within the native system instead of requiring a workaround for this important feature. What's the best way to communicate this to ACDSee developers for a future enhancement?

I found a way to get the path w/o the workaround, but it's clutzy. If you click the information in the location bar, it consolidates the files and provides a way to copy the path to the folder. You can then copy the file name from the properties tab, combine the two & voila. Like I said, clutzy, but it does the job for those who don't want to deal with the workaround.

Again, thank!

Comment

In Manage Mode, with a file selected.... I go to the top of the screen where I see the full path... and copy the path to the clipboard using CNTRL-V or a rt.-click.

Comment

Originally posted by GusPanella View Post
          In Manage Mode, with a file selected.... I go to the top of the screen where I see the full path... and copy the path to the clipboard using CNTRL-V or a rt.-click.
          Thanks, GusPanella. Here's an example of what I see, "C:\Users\Gary\Pictures\Adventures\Door County". Note that the file name is not appended at the end, meaning if I used that solution, I'd have to take one more step, copying the file name (from Properties) & then pasting that to the end of the path to get the full path. It would be great if the path included the complete file name at the end so we could simply copy/paste the entire path from that source.

Comment

I think I understand better on what you are trying to do....

Albeit a bit different method, in similar situations, I drag and drop from ACD Manage mode into FB, email package, drop box, etc....
            (Manage Mode works a lot like file Explorer when it comes to drag/drop)

Comment

I think I understand better on what you are trying to do....

Albeit a bit different method, in similar situations, I drag and drop from ACD Manage mode into FB, email package, drop box, etc....
              (Manage Mode works a lot like file Explorer when it comes to drag/drop)
              Thanks. I didn't realize that was possible. One small problem, though. When dragging/dropping photos, the size is reduced, a problem if wanting to share hi-res copies via email. That can be accomplished by other options in this thread, though.

Comment

Here another approach:

explorer.exe /select, "%1"

Cut 'n paste this one liner into a text file and save it with extension ".cmd". Then setup this file as external editor in AC. Please note: The file dialogue by default only displays .EXE files. You also may want to setup a keyboard shortcut to the new external editor.

After selecting a single item in manage mode this external editor will open an explorer window and also pick the selected file.

(Notice the comma in the one liner, it's essential.)

Comment

+1 Emil, I don't know why I forget my roots... but combining a batch file with External Editor is excellent.

Here is an interesting command that builds upon Emil's approach. If you replace the command in the CMD file with:

echo %~dpnx1 | clip

You will have the path and file name in to the clipboard for a later copy/paste.

Comment

echo %~dpnx1 | clip
                    Excellent!

Comment

+1 Emil, I don't know why I forget my roots... but combining a batch file with External Editor is excellent.

Here is an interesting command that builds upon Emil's approach. If you replace the command in the CMD file with:

echo %~dpnx1 | clip

You will have the path and file name in to the clipboard for a later copy/paste.
                      Thanks Gus & Emil. I'm sure that will work great for users who are savvy. I'm not in that category, though. Hoping that ACDSee will add a "Copy Full Path" option to the right click when viewing pictures in the Manage Mode at some point in the future for we less technical users.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by McFallG View Post
                        Hoping that ACDSee will add a "Copy Full Path" option to the right click when viewing pictures in the Manage Mode at some point in the future for we less technical users.
                        I guess, there will be time enough to become an experienced C++ programmer before ACDSystems finishes to implement this. [deep sigh]

Comment

Working...
                        X