Divide blending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divide blending

What is the purpose and use of DIVIDE blending mode?

I liked this explanation (although, I didn't check the ACD help)

Credit: https://photoblogstop.com/photoshop/...odes-explained

"Divides a pixel on the active layer, from an equivalent pixel in the underlying layers on a channel by channel basis (B÷A).

This mode typically results in extreme highlights because dividing the “standardized” luminance numbers results in a larger number. Whites don’t change any colors (because white = 1, and AnyColor÷1 = AnyColor). Similar colors turn white (because AnyColor÷Anycolor = 1), with the exception of blacks, which stay black because 0 can’t be divided by 0. Math: B÷A (B divided by A)."

Comment

A nice explanation of how DIVIDE blending works on the given link, but how to use it in ACD?

Comment

Here is something I have been known to do that makes use of that definition......

Fine an image that you want to add some refinement and definition.

Edit Mode
        Layers > Duplicate Layer
        On the duplicated Layer > Rt. Click > Frequency separation
        adjust the view so you are just seeing the edges on the gray screen
        press OK, you will now see three layers, the original, LF Low Frequency, HF (High Frequency)

On the LF layer... select multiply of divide... multiply for scenes that need darkening, divide for those that need a bit of lightening
        Play with the opacity control until it adds the lightening to the right level (typically under 20%, most of the time under 10%
        Next, play with the HF using the default blending so get the edges right.

OK... what have we just done...
        HF is about the edges: We've added definition to the edges (clarity, contrast, sharpness) to JUST the edges.
        LF is about the base of the image.... We adjusted the lightness (in the case of divide) or darkness in the case of multiply) without overdoing the contrast of the image base.
        (base is a term I use, there probably is a better term, but I do not know what it is... I am trying tor refer to all the items that are not edges)

Could you use sharpening-contrast-clarity instead... sure can... and I do... but... when you want to work with just the edges, then just the base separately, the frequency separation in combination with blending modes afford a bit better control (IMHO) and a better overall result (i.e. not adding clarity/sharpening artifacts in areas where there is nothing to sharpen.

Comment

Working...
        X