Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to search for folders

All my photos are stored in date order as follows:
    2020 would be my main folder and coming from it would be sub-folders such as "01 Skiing in Austria", "02 Stamford market", "03 London Eye" and so on.

My issue is that if I have been to London 5 times over the past few years, I would like to "tag" my folders with key words such as LONDON so that if I search "London" I will see all folders that contain the word London, regardless of whether it is "03 London Eye" from 2020 or (say) "07 Tower of London" from 2018.

Any pointers gratefully received.
    Many thanks,
    Andy

Originally posted by AndyH View Post
    All my photos are stored in date order as follows:
    2020 would be my main folder and coming from it would be sub-folders such as "01 Skiing in Austria", "02 Stamford market", "03 London Eye" and so on.

My issue is that if I have been to London 5 times over the past few years, I would like to "tag" my folders with key words such as LONDON so that if I search "London" I will see all folders that contain the word London, regardless of whether it is "03 London Eye" from 2020 or (say) "07 Tower of London" from 2018.

Any pointers gratefully received.
    Many thanks,
    Andy
    I don't know of any way to tag Folders with keywords.
    One possible method of achieving what you want is would be to include a "location" keyword in all images relating to a particular location. For example assign the keyword London to all images relating to London, regardless of what folder they are individually in..

A search on the word "London", or a selection of the Keyword "London" in the catalog pane would bring up all images relating to London, and then setting the Group to "Folder" would display the images grouped into their particular folders.

If you embed the ACDSee metadata in the images, then at any stage if something should go wrong with the database, then worst case scenario a replacement database can be build by Cataloging (reading the metadata back from the images into the database)

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
      I don't know of any way to tag Folders with keywords.
      If you allow AC to show folders in the main window in manage mode, you can assign any proprietary AC meta data. As with images the data is kept in the database, but also can be embedded into XMP sidecar files.

But imho the naming scheme of the OP is wrong. For event photographer who shoot, process, sell and _forget_, this might be a suitable way to go. But if your goal is image stocking and you want to use images years later again, then imho its much better to store the images after dates like "c:\photos\year\month\day\...". All additional meta data then is kept in _one_ suitable tag. "London" -> city, "Stamford market" -> Location, ... This naming scheme allows to assign all kinds of meta data. If needed, you can batch rename exported images according to any assigned meta data for online services or whatever.

Just my two cents.
      Last edited by Emil; 05-03-2021, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
        If you allow AC to show folders in the main window in manage mode, you can assign any proprietary AC meta data. As with images the data is kept in the database, but also can be embedded into XMP sidecar files.
        I do actually allow AC to show folders in the main window, but I hadn't realized I could add metadata to them - worthwhile tip, thank you.

I also use YYYY-MM-DD_Description on all my image folders.

Comment

Many thanks to Greyfox and Emil (Pink Floyd fan?) - I'll experiment!
          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyH View Post
            Pink Floyd fan?
            I am of that age, but it is more addressed to people with oppositional opinion.

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
            YYYY-MM-DD_Description
            I guess "YYYY-MM-DD" is date taken or date digitized. If this is created using and import program it should always be correct.

But, do you also keep a copy of the "Description" in the iptc meta data? What do you do in case of a mistake (e.g. typo) in the description? Update both, filename and iptc meta data? What if you notice the mistake after month, perhaps after you've referenced the file several times on online services, deliveries, short link files, ... ?

Since many years I'm fine with /year/month/day/number.ext. "Number" actually is a copy of data/time digitized, but it's condensed into a 6-digit term of chars and numerals. (e.g. "B4WQVQ"). These terms are created by the import routine and always unique throughout our whole system. I _never_ ever change these terms, but I sometimes add a few chars to _new_ variants (e.g. "_bw" for black/white). The six digits are enough to cover a photographers working live. With eight digits you could cover not only cover even 1/100 seconds, but also supply your descendants with fresh numbers 😊

This ways implemented many years ago when a customer asked for DOS like 8.3 names including the photographer initials.

Rule of thumb: Always keep path names as short as possible. If not, one day you will break the 260 char maximum path length with some backup routine.
            Last edited by Emil; 05-03-2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Emil View Post
              ...But, do you also keep a copy of the "Description" in the iptc meta data? What do you do in case of a mistake (e.g. typo) in the description? Update both, filename and iptc meta data?
              My "YYY-MM-DD_Description" archives folder names are the date of the event, and the description is just a short reference, for example "JonesWedding", "YaldaraWinery", "SemaphoreBeach" and these folders are sub-folders of a parent YYYY folder. These "event" folders generally have their own sub-folders, for example "Originals", "ForPrint", "ForTV".

And yes, I am aware of the folly of excessive path lengths.

All of the detailed information, including event description, names of places, names of subjects and/or key features, I store as Keywords, Captions and Notes etc, which I embed in the images (both ACDSee and IPTC metadata). If I need to correct a misspelled keyword, then I select all of the images that contain the keyword, correct the spelling, copy the ACDSee metadata to IPTC, and re-embed the ACDSee metadata in all of the images. If I want to add a keyword or add to a note in an image, again I first find and select all of the archived versions of that image.

As far as filenames go, I mostly retain the original camera naming, but I do add simple suffixes to processed images, for example "_TV" for images processed specifically for TV, or "_P1", "_P2" etc for Processed, "_CP" for Processed with Crop". For TV slide show presentation and for some multi-image per page print purposes I add a prefix to the filename set the display order.

The convention I use would almost certainly not suit everyone. It has evolved over many years, many versions of ACDSee, and a number of different PC's. I try and keep it as simple as possible. It currently does what I need it to, but no doubt will get further tweaks in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X