Making a category into a keyword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a category into a keyword

Using 2018 photo studio standard. Up to this point have been using ACDSee for managing all my digital scrapbook supplies. Set up a lot of categories with subcategories. Most of the elements have been categorized. The only elements that have been keyworded are if they didn't fit in a category--did not make a heirarchial keyword tree, they just show up alphabetically. With what I have been learning here and watching tutorials. I think what I should have done was make my categories my heirarchial key words. (hope that makes sense). Because none of the items I have 'categorized' have ACDSee metadata keywords that I can then add to ipti keyword data.

From the help manual it states
    • To create a keyword from an existing category, click and drag the category into the keyword tree.
    I tried this with one of the categories and it seemed to work like it said it would.

1. Once I embed the data they will now have the keyword embedded in them correct?
    2. What should I do about the 200 individual misc keywords? Can I Create a Heirarchial Keyword INDIVIDUAL KEYWORDS, and then drag all the 200+keywords into that?
    3. If I transfer all the categories to the Keywords. I would in essence be working from Catalog Pane + Categories TO Catalog Pane + keywords

What I am trying to accomplish is to have every digital element file (same as every photo file) have an ACDSee Metadata Keyword (or several keywords assigned to it) so when I buy ACDSee 2022 I can do a manage preset and embed IPTI metadata into the files.

A. Does this make sense or should I just wait until I buy ACDSee 2022 on sale?
    B. What problems would I have with changing everything to keywords instead of categories in the future? (I like using categories because that is what I learned to start with and for doing quick select and searches)

DebraB

I'm going to use an example in this answer, just to confirm we are on the same page.

Say in your collection you have some buttons.
    For convenience you could have a parent Category of "Buttons"
    Within that parent category you would maybe have individual sub-categories for "Blue Buttoms", "Green Buttons", and "Red Buttons", and within each of those sub-categories you might have sub-sub-categories for "Square Buttons" and "Round Buttons"

Now say you have a round green button. In order to be able to find that particular button later using Category quick selections, when you assign a category to that button, you would need to tick at least the boxes for Green Button, and Round Button. But you might also decide to tick the parent category "Buttons" as well so it would be included in the display if just the parent "Buttons" category was selected. So let's say you do also tick the parent "Buttons" category as well.

Now when you drag the parent category "Buttons" into Keywords, you get the warning that the sub-categories will also be copied, and if you click on Yes, the new keywords will appear in the Keyword listing, and any items that were assigned to the categories will have the keywords also assigned to them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Categories and Keywords.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	59005
    I don't know about 2018, but from the screen shot above you can see that in U2021 and U2022, the keywords have the same hierarchical arrangement as was in the categories.

Now at this point it is possible that you have previously embedded the ACDSee metadata in the images, but at this stage whilst the keywords from the copy process have been assigned to the images in the database, they haven't been embedded in the images, so you need to do another Metadata Embed.

Now in U2021/U2022 when a custom Metadata Preset is used to copy the ACDSee Metadata to IPTC metadata, it can't copy ACDSee Categories, because IPTC's category field is not compatible (IPTC uses specific listed categories), but the preset does copy the ACDSee Keywords to IPTC keywords.

Because you ticked the parent category "Buttons" as well as the other individual boxes when you assigned the categories to the buttons in this example, selecting either the parent "Buttons" category, or the parent "Buttons" keyword will display all of the button thumbnails.

Ctrl+A will then select all of the button thumbnails and you then click on the Metadata preset, and then click on Apply. The IPTC keywords are written directly into the images.

Now if you look at the IPTC keywords, you will see that each button has three keywords, for instance in the case of the square green button, they show as Buttons, Green Buttons, Square Buttons. But they are simple single level keywords, and don't contain the hierarchical structure of the ACDSee keywords, and the ACDSee Categories.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IPTC keywords.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	59006

If you have to rebuild your database at any stage by reading back the metadata embedded in the images, then the ACDSee Catalog metadata and ACDSee Keywords metadata will rebuild with the multi-level arrangement. IPTC will only return simple individual keywords (shown in the catalog pane under "Auto Categories/Photo Properties/keywords(IPTC).

IPTC is a standardized method of classifying material. Whilst you have ACDSee and are using Categories and/or ACDSee keywords to manage your collection, you probably won't get much benefit from IPTC, but outside of ACDSee it provides an additional backstop for identification, as well as providing the means to include things like Contact details, reverse geocode addresses, copyright notices, etc

Now assuming the above is pretty much what you are doing or wanting to do, then to answer your questions

1. Yes

2. You could do that and then re-embed the metadata in the images, but aside from perhaps making the keyword list appear shorter when it was collapsed, and having to expand the list if you do want to use one of them, I'm not sure what the advantage would be.

3. If you were using the Catalog quick select functions to display certain items, then yes, you would be working from the Catalog pane. If you were assigning categories or keywords to new items, then it would be from the Properties/Organize pane.

A. I wouldn't think there are any significant advantages or disadvantages either way.

B. If you are comfortable with using Categories, then I'd stay using them as your primary method. There are some things that differ. For example, you can Filter by Category, but not by keyword. You can Group by keyword, but not by category. You can sort by Keywords but not by category.

Hope that helps

Comment

Yes, You understand correctly what I am wanting to. My main reason for doing so is to give that additional backstop for identification.

"3. If you were using the Catalog quick select functions to display certain items, then yes, you would be working from the Catalog pane. If you were assigning categories or keywords to new items, then it would be from the Properties/Organize pane."

When I get a new kit and want to manage and assign all the items I would go to the Properties/Organize pane (like normal) and need to assign the 'button' to BOTH the CATERGORY and the KEYWORD correct?
      Thank you again for your understandable help.

Comment

Originally posted by DebraB View Post
        ..When I get a new kit and want to manage and assign all the items I would go to the Properties/Organize pane (like normal) and need to assign the 'button' to BOTH the CATERGORY and the KEYWORD correct?
        Yes, correct.

Comment

Working...
        X