X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greyfox
    replied
    Originally posted by rgrun1 View Post
    I Use Digital Volcano's Duplicate Cleaner Pro which will find GIGABYTES of duplicates and is well worth the money. It works will all files
    Just a reminder that use of third party applications that move or delete images will result in orphaned ACDSee database entries. If the orphan entries are not able to be removed with an "Optimize" operation, which might well be the situation if NAS is in use, it potentially could lead to having to completely rebuild the database.

Leave a comment:

• rgrun1
    replied
    I Use Digital Volcano's Duplicate Cleaner Pro which will find GIGABYTES of duplicates and is well worth the money. It works will all files
    HTML Code:
    https://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/duplicatecleaner.html
    If it is just graphics and "FREE" sounds good, try Find Same Image (He has a bunch of other cool programs too)
    HTML Code:
    http://www.softwareok.com/?Download=Find.Same.Images.OK

Leave a comment:

• Emil
    replied
    If you also want to create links with the MS explorer you might like the hard link shell extension (https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlink...kshellext.html). It offers to create various kind of links (there's quite a number!) from the context menu the explorer.

Sorry for being OT. This one doesn't really fit to OP question but fits to the thread, somehow 😁
    Last edited by Emil; 02-27-2022, 02:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    Originally posted by Emil View Post
    If you need to keep binary identical dupes you might like dupemerge (http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/dupemerge/dupemerge.html). It finds dupes and can replace them with hard links. Hard links are pretty common, 99% of your files in c:\windows are hard links.
    Thanks for that link Emil.

Leave a comment:

• Emil
    replied
    Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
    I don't see why you necessarily have to get rid of any images that are allocated to specific uses, regardless of whether they are duplicates. I have many intentional duplicates.
    If you need to keep binary identical dupes you might like dupemerge (http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/dupemerge/dupemerge.html). It finds dupes and can replace them with hard links. Hard links are pretty common, 99% of your files in c:\windows are hard links.

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    Originally posted by DebraB View Post
    When do you delete duplicates?
    Not often. I don't worry over much about duplicates, partly because I have so many intentional ones.
    From time to time, as and when I find duplicates that are not intentional, I remove them.

When a specific project set is likely never going to be needed again I might decide to delete the duplicate set of images. Even that sort of depends.

If push came to shove, I could rebuild the set from the metadata (mainly keywords) assigned to the source images, however if it was a large set that was also ordered by adding a numeric prefix to the filenames, I would have to manually do that ordering again, so potentially a lot of work. In that scenario I would probably choose to leave things as they are, or (particularly in the case of business projects) at least archive the duplicate set.

Leave a comment:

• DebraB
    replied
    [QUOTE=Greyfox;n59737]

"I don't see why you necessarily have to get rid of any images that are allocated to specific uses, regardless of whether they are duplicates. I have many intentional duplicates."

Sounds good.
    When do you delete duplicates?

Leave a comment:

• Greyfox
    replied
    Originally posted by DebraB View Post
    Using ACDSee 2018. In working through and organizing all my photos, it is recommended to get rid of all duplicates first. I ran the find duplicates and have 2,636 duplicate sets (some of them have 3 or 4 of same image). Example I have a parent folder 2011 Africa (which holds all of my original 1,000 photos; subfolders >Africa pics to print >Slideshow for presenting>Africa prints for scrapbooking so I may have duplicates, triples, or 4 of the same photo. IF I delete the subfolder 'slideshow for presenting' I will take those photos out of the 'duplicates' BUT I will not have those easily accessible if we ever want to have a power point showing of our trip. Any recommendations?
    I don't see why you necessarily have to get rid of any images that are allocated to specific uses, regardless of whether they are duplicates. I have many intentional duplicates.

Yes, as brajaq has suggested, you could use metadata to assign an image to be a member of a number of different sets, but then you have to use the metadata in a selection process each time you wanted to use a particular set. Whilst that offers a saving in disk space, and minimises the number of individual images in the database (though it increases the amount of metadata), as long as space isn't an issue, and the database is still manageable, you can opt to keep the images in full sets if that is how you prefer it.

For example, I add a numeric prefix to the file names to set the order individual images in a set will show when displayed on a TV via a PVR. The same image might be required to show in a different order depending on which particular version of the "slide show" I want to use. Where I have these "sets" I prefer to keep full sets of images with the prefixes already in place. And yes, even though the prefix + filenames are then different, they will show up as duplicates.

Leave a comment:

• brajaq
    replied
    Use metadata to qualify the pictures ?

Leave a comment:

• DebraB
    started a topic getting rid of duplicates

getting rid of duplicates

Using ACDSee 2018. In working through and organizing all my photos, it is recommended to get rid of all duplicates first. I ran the find duplicates and have 2,636 duplicate sets (some of them have 3 or 4 of same image). Example I have a parent folder 2011 Africa (which holds all of my original 1,000 photos; subfolders >Africa pics to print >Slideshow for presenting>Africa prints for scrapbooking so I may have duplicates, triples, or 4 of the same photo. IF I delete the subfolder 'slideshow for presenting' I will take those photos out of the 'duplicates' BUT I will not have those easily accessible if we ever want to have a power point showing of our trip. Any recommendations?
Working...
X