Ultimate, Gemstone or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate, Gemstone or?

I've downloaded both Ultimate and Gemstone and have played with both and I'm not sure which one best suits my needs. I have a Canon EOS 90D and have been using Canon's Digital Photo Professional but find it a little difficult to use and lacking some of the features provided by Ultimate and Gemstone. I do some focus stacking but DPP's ability at this is well below what Helicon Focus can do. How well does the focus stacking work on Gemstone and Ultimate? How about stacking multiple images of star trails?

Originally posted by Starcrwzr View Post
    I've downloaded both Ultimate and Gemstone and have played with both and I'm not sure which one best suits my needs. I have a Canon EOS 90D and have been using Canon's Digital Photo Professional but find it a little difficult to use and lacking some of the features provided by Ultimate and Gemstone. I do some focus stacking but DPP's ability at this is well below what Helicon Focus can do. How well does the focus stacking work on Gemstone and Ultimate? How about stacking multiple images of star trails?
    One simple way to determine which might be best for you is whether or not you need asset management.
    If you do want asset management, as well as being able to Develop and Edit images in the one package, then ACDSee Ultimate. Gemstone does not do asset management.

I've done very little focus stacking, and I haven't done any with time lapse night sky photography so I can't answer your other question, but I recommend you try stacking a set of of your night sky shots in both Ultimate and in Gemstone to see whether one does it better than the other, and whether the results are good enough for your requirement.

You might also find some of the threads on Astrophotography in the Affinity Photo forum of interest. Affinity Photo now has a stack function specifically for Astrophotography, and Affinity photo can be used from ACDSee as an external editor.
    Last edited by Greyfox; 06-13-2022, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I've used ACDSee products for a long time. I stopped by the forum to see if there were things here to further enlighten me about Gemstone as a standalone product and how it fits in to the image creation universe. I was surprised there's not much discussion. I'm also wondering why new features in Gemstone aren't part of Ultimate (thus the word "Ultimate"). I've also skipped the 2022 Ultimate upgrade because I didn't see much there of relevance for me since I already have U-2021. I've been hoping to see a lot of AI enhancements in Ultimate. Something I have done in the last couple of years is buy other products out of curiosity, e.g., from Topaz and PhotoVibrance (features that perhaps ought to be in an ultimate product).

Comment

Working...
      X