ACDSee 2023 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaelWPresley View Post
    ...Another nice feature would be to have the upgrade not break smart collections that use IPTC data. That process has not worked (at least with my upgrades) ever that I can recall, going back several years.
    Did you raise a Support request and did you get a response?

In April 2021 I found a bug in collections where hierarchical collection structures did not rebuild correctly from the metadata embedded in images,when using the Database\Catalog files process, I reported it to Product support, who subsequently advised they could reproduce the issue and had passed it on to QA.

When Ultimate 2022 was released, I tested it and found the problem was still present in that version.
    In March 2022, nearly 12 months after the first report, I again reported the issue to Product support as a fault in U2022, carried over from U2021, and received a reply advising that indeed the issue had not yet been addressed, but "would be escalated to both QA and Product management". Sadly I've heard nothing back since then.

My tests suggest the problem is with the actual metadata that is being embedded, and so it will likely need to be corrected in every image it has been embedded in.
    That has been sufficient for me to not use collections at all, and to use categories instead, since they don't suffer from the same problem. It will be interesting to see if it carries over to U2023.

Comment

Maybe we should create a wishlist 2024 thread to inform ACDSee of what features we would like ?

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post

Did you raise a Support request and did you get a response?
        I did and a reply that it was a confirmed bug. A couple of times I was able to copy the specific database files and indexes from the previous version and have things start working again. This last go around I didn't get that to work. This seems like such a small thing to fix (doing some db work myself), but there must be more too it for it to be a problem for so long.

Smart collections that are based on EXIF data don't seem to be affected, only ones that refer to IPTC Keywords.
        Last edited by MichaelWPresley; 09-19-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyfox View Post
          My tests suggest the problem is with the actual metadata that is being embedded, and so it will likely need to be corrected in every image it has been embedded in.
          That has been sufficient for me to not use collections at all, and to use categories instead, since they don't suffer from the same problem. It will be interesting to see if it carries over to U2023.
          The issue I've seen is strictly in the definition of the smart collection. After the upgrade, the criteria I find for the collection would be something completely unrelated to the original definition. Something like contains frogs where it used to be contains Nikon 105mm. Once I fix the criteria it all starts working again.

Comment

Working...
          X