Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing keyword/categories from other programs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing keyword/categories from other programs.

Hello,

I have been using XnView and have created some keywords and categories there. How do I import them to ACDSee?

Originally posted by SeeNoEvil View Post
    Hello,

I have been using XnView and have created some keywords and categories there. How do I import them to ACDSee?
    Here is what I've been able to find..
    Note: The following applies for JPG images. (I haven't tested any other formats)
    ‚Äč
    Keywords
    If you created the keywords by right clicking on the images and using Edit IPTC data\Keywords tab, then in ACDSee Ultimate if you select the images in Manage mode and use Tools\Metadata\Rebuild Thumbnails and Metadata, then the keywords will appear in ACDSee Properties pane\ Metadata Tab, IPTC section in the Keywords field. In ACDSee Ultimate and Pro versions you can then use a Metadata preset to copy them from that field to the ACDSee keywords field. The Home version doesn't have Metadata presets.

XnView keywords are also embedded as xmp metatata, and can be seen in Exiftools in XMP-dc:Subject

Categories
    There appears to be more than one type of XnView Category.

(a) XnView Categories added using the Edit IPTC data function\Ccategory tab as "Supplemental Categories".These are embedded as xmp metadata, in the XMP-Photoshop:Supplemental Category. (this type will appear as IPTC Supplemental Categories in ACDSee Ultimate's metadata tab when the metadata type is set to "All IPTC". As such in ACDSee Ultimate and Pro versions they can be copied to ACDSee keywords using a Metadata preset. As far as I can see they can't be directly copied to ACDSee's proprietary Category format.

However, if you select one of these supplemental categories, either in ACDSee's Catalog Tab\Photo Properties\Supplemental categories(IPTC), or as an ACDSee keyword (if you have used a metadata preset to copy them from IPTC to ACDSee keywords), then it will display all of the photos containing that category\keyword. Use Ctrl-A to select them, and assign them to an ACDSee category you have previously created.

(b) XnView Categories added using the Edit IPTC data function\Ccategory tab as "3 char max Categories".These are embedded as xmp metadata, in the XMP-Photoshop\Category, and also when viewed in ExifTool, as IPTC Category, but this is not recognised by .ACDSee (ACDSee's IPTC Category field is restricted to a fixed set of specific tags. Potentially you could use ExifTool to copy these to IPTC keywords, and then treat as for (a) above.

(c) You can create hierarchical categories in XnView, and then assign them to images using the Categories tab in the bottom section of the screen. Those categories can then be used to select images from the Categories tab on the left hand side. At this stage, I haven't been able to find these categories in the metadata embedded in the images

Comment

Working...
    X