Support for Google Pixel .DNG Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support for Google Pixel .DNG Files

I was excited to learn that I could use ACDSee Mobile Sync to transfer my Google Pixel 6's DNG files to my computer as I really appreciate the latitude of RAW files when editing. While the imported files look good in the Manage module of ACDSee Ultimate 2013, when I select Develop or Edit I am left with an awful look that requires a lot of work to approach a degree of normalcy. Does this mean ACDSee does not support the DNG format from a Google Pixel phone? If so, is there some workaround that could help me get to a lifelike starting point?

Originally posted by DanVM View Post
    I was excited to learn that I could use ACDSee Mobile Sync to transfer my Google Pixel 6's DNG files to my computer as I really appreciate the latitude of RAW files when editing. While the imported files look good in the Manage module of ACDSee Ultimate 2013, when I select Develop or Edit I am left with an awful look that requires a lot of work to approach a degree of normalcy. Does this mean ACDSee does not support the DNG format from a Google Pixel phone? If so, is there some workaround that could help me get to a lifelike starting point?
    I hope your "ACDSee Ultimate 2013" is a typo and you are actually referring to "ACDSee Ultimate 2023"

Here is an comparison of DNG to RAW https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/...ng-vs-raw.html

DNG exports from different cameras can have different characteristics, as does RAW from different cameras.

There is no mention of the Google Pixel 6 in the list of RAW formats supported by ACDSee at https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/raw-formats/ and whilst ACDSee can display the Pixel 6's DNG images, it doesn't appear to be able to decode them properly (Compare the decoded image with the embedded preview using the toggle in View Mode).

So perhaps raise a support request at https://www.acdsee.com/en/support/form/ asking for support for that camera's DNG to be added.

In the meantime, as a workaround, put your Pixel 6 DNG images in a folder, and use the free Adobe DNG converter to batch decode the images in that folder. The output images will still be in DNG format, but the colors will match those of the embedded preview images, and display correctly in U2023 Develop and Edit mode (as far as I can tell from the test images I've tried).
    The converter can be downloaded from https://helpx.adobe.com/au/camera-ra...converter.html

Comment

Yes, thank you, 2023. This is excellent information. Thank you!

Comment

I gave the workaround a try and was disappointed. Where ACDSee yields a starting point similar to its JPG counterpart the Adobe DNG converter differs so much from anything natural it requires an excessive amount of work to make it look good. I'll continue to petition ACDSee to support the Pixel DNG's.

Comment

Hi, Could you show an example ? I convert to my raw files (though not Pixel ones) to dng before using them and have never encountered problems.

Comment

Here is a link to the files (it's a shared Microsoft OneDrive folder): https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqJ7BhcR7JvJhZ5YllJw-gKfMxcV5w?e=EsJclu
            1. Included are the original DNG taken with a Pixel 6 Pro.
            2. A JPG version of the same.
            3. The converted DNG (using Adobe DNG Converter).
            4. A screenshot of the converted DNG as viewed in ACDSee.
            Last edited by DanVM; 10-24-2022, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I did some more searching and found an article suggesting that the Adobe DNG Converter be used but detailed the following:
              • "Custom" compatibility mode using "DNG 1.4"
              • "Linear (demosaiced)" must be ticked.

It looks like "DNG 1.6" works as well but the result of these settings is much better though still a long way from the JPG.
              Last edited by DanVM; 10-24-2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

DanVM

See if this helps.
                Downloaded the files from your zip.
                Processed the "Before Conversion" DNG in Adobe DNG Convertor Version 14.4.0.1121

Settings used
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Converter Settings.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.5 KB ID:	62486
                Compared the DNG output file with your oriiginal JPG file (in ACDSee Ultimate 2023

Click image for larger version  Name:	Comp1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	365.5 KB ID:	62492

Processed the Adobe DNG Converter output DNG file in ACDSee Develop Mode

Click image for larger version  Name:	Comp2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	359.2 KB ID:	62495

Adjustments.
                1. Tone Curve: The top of the curve was pulled down a little to overcome high end tone clipping (mostly in the white of the number plate in the bottom left of the image.

The centre was pulled down a little to reduce the mid tones (in retrospect this was probably too much)

Click image for larger version  Name:	ToneCurve.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	62494

2. General: Dehaze +20 to reduce the haze then Fill +10 to slightly increase overall brightness. (all other settings 0)

3. Color EQ - Saturation tab - Orange -30, all other 0 (Done to reduce the contrast in the orange building, (which had increased as the result of the Dehaze). Done mainly to better match the JPG coloring.

The tweaks above in ACDSee Develop were done quite quickly. It's not identical to the JPG, but possibly near enough.
                It's a work around, and unfortunately the results will probably vary from image to image, but perhaps might help..
                Last edited by Greyfox; 10-27-2022, 02:25 AM.

Comment

This is very helpful - thank you!

I did some comparisons between the two DNG converter settings, namely:
                  • Backward Version DNG 1.1, Uncompressed (linear not checked)
                  • Backward Version DNG 1.6, Linear (uncompressed not checked)
                  It was very difficult to tell the difference between the two but what I found interesting is that the uncompressed file came out to be 25MB and the compressed yielded 46MB! When I zoomed in I would give the nod to the DNG 1.1 Uncompressed so that is what I'll use going forward.

Thanks again! Getting a good starting point is critical to my workflow
                  Last edited by DanVM; 10-27-2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X